There are 202 users in the forums

Kap & Aldon - Are you worried

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eonblue:
I mean you guys act like there's not another guard on the planet that can block. Finding a guy Crabtree? Goodluck.

You act like there's not another WR on the planet that can catch.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I mean you guys act like there's not another guard on the planet that can block. Finding a guy Crabtree? Goodluck.

he needs to have more than 3/4 of a good year before he can demand a high price in my opinion
Originally posted by cciowa:
he needs to have more than 3/4 of a good year before he can demand a high price in my opinion

Whats a high price?

I mean lets be honest. The FO is going to want to deescalate his salary based on performance, or they wont offer him enough per year, or they wont guarantee him enough per year so it doesn't even matter. If I was Baalke Crab would be a priority over Iupati no question.
It depends on what Iupati and Crabtree demand. If either demands too much more than what Baalke believes the team should pay, it won't happen. That's how Baalke rolls. My sense is that Iupati will be more reasonable to deal with than Crabtree, but of course I could be wrong about that. We'll see.
Originally posted by outside4949:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
There are quite a few GM's around the league who don't agree with that. In fact, the one thing you can say about most championship teams is that they have a strong, cohesive offensive line. Whether or not a championship team needs a thousand yard receiver is questionable.

I suspect that they see their priorities in order as Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati and Crabtree. And, if Patton breaks out this year and Baldwin ends up producing like a first rounder should, Crabtree becomes an even less important priority.
Its simply untrue that gms value guards more than wide receiver. we have clear historical evidence of this in the draft.
I'm starting to like this Outside4949 guy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Whats a high price?

I mean lets be honest. The FO is going to want to deescalate his salary based on performance, or they wont offer him enough per year, or they wont guarantee him enough per year so it doesn't even matter. If I was Baalke Crab would be a priority over Iupati no question.

i am sorry but the offensive line is the key to the whole thing. you do your best to keep that unit intact as long as you can. crabtree had 3/4 of a very very good year for us. Yes i know about his injuries and any other excuse but he is not worth big dollars. i would be more than ok in parting ways with him and using that money on ck aldon and lupai. again, i think we will find out that we will get along very well without him this year.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

You act like there's not another WR on the planet that can catch.

Also our offense is built around the line. Which I am thankful for--how many teams are there out there--from the good (GB) to the middling (DAL) to the downright bad (ARI) where the concern is the offensive line? We never have to worry about it. The offensive line is such an important thing but you take it for granted until you don't have a good one.

Also, with the exception of the LT spot, it shouldn't break the bank to keep a good OL together.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
I think Crabs is the odd man out. He will run to the highest bidder, which probably won't be SF. Holdout post draft?

I don't care who the QB is, 20mm per stifles the ability to build a team unless there are some very unselfish people who will take less. What works now for us is that we have young, relatively inexpensive talent on both sides of the ball. That window will close as they become more seasoned. Or, it might not if, again, some of them are willing to take a hometown discount.

To my original post, Crabs getting hurt might be a blessing in disguise. We might be able to extend him for less now.

As far as Aldon and Kap. Of course, I want to win a SB over all else. However, I'm not sure I want Aldon to get the record before we extend him...
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
If the Packers can afford to pay both Rodgers and Clay Steroids III, the 49ers will be able to pay Kaepernick and Aldon

They pay them, but they are incrediably one dimentional.
I really think Crabs loves it here now I really don't see him leaving.

If you got to chose would it be Iupati or Crabtree?

I'm firmly in the Crabtree cap assuming he's looking for reasonable number 1 money. I think the drop off between Crabs and lets say average WR is much greater than Iupati and average guard. Kap is good enough to create time. Crabtree is a very special talent.So is Iupati, but I just dont think he effects the game the way Crabs does.
I have faith in the front office to weight the deals properly to keep Kap and Aldon form hurting the cap too much. There could be a decision between Iupati and Crabs...my impression of Crabs is he will want to test the market....probably making him the odd man out because we don't do bidding wars.
There will be millions available with the new Stadium. They are going nowhere. However, some players won't receive what they think they deserve because of the payroll restrictions of those two huge contracts.
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
I'm firmly in the Crabtree cap assuming he's looking for reasonable number 1 money. I think the drop off between Crabs and lets say average WR is much greater than Iupati and average guard. Kap is good enough to create time. Crabtree is a very special talent.So is Iupati, but I just dont think he effects the game the way Crabs does.

Yea I don't see how any person could honestly believe a top 10 guard affects the game the same way a top 10 receiver does. He probably isn't going to want reasonable money and to be honest neither are Kaep and Aldon. What makes you guys think Aldon isn't going to ask for the moon? Mario Williams signed a 96mil contract a couple of years and he had half the production Smith had. Clay Matthews is getting paid 66mil. Hmmmm. I wonder if Aldon is willing to play for the pennies were speculating he will when other studs that he clearly outperforms are getting the big money. Would you pay him a 66mil? Flacco, Romo, Rodgers at 100mil. Would you pay Kaep 100mil? I don't envy the FO because the next couple of year are going to have some hard decisions. I think it funny people want to right Crab off as if he's the one that's going to want to break the bank.
Let's keep in mind that it costs a team a lot less to sign a top ten guard than it does to sign a top ten receiver.
Share 49ersWebzone