There are 156 users in the forums

Kap & Aldon - Are you worried

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fryet:
I was leaning towards keeping Crabtree over Iupati, but now I think I would prefer to let Crabtree walk. Iupati has been very durable, and if our OL can give our WR more time to get open (and less double-coverage) then average WR can be effective for us. I think there is a slight chance that we don't sign Aldon if we believe Lemonier can be his replacement. That would be a tough decision to make, though.

Why would we let Aldon walk when we can just trade Brooks 7mil salary for a 4th round pick or something? Brooks base salary is only guaranteed if he's injured so if your cutting somebody you should turn one into the other. Also I love Iupati but you don't chose a guard over 1000yard receiver who gets more YAC than Pablo Escobar. You just don't invest that much money in your Oline. It's not sustainable. Plus Boone should see a big money extention soon and he can play tackle.
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM ]
you got 2 options, have good football players and have to pay them. or be like we were earlier in the 2000's, your choice.
people keep telling me Kaep will not be the same as he was last year due to the number of films the league has on him. I am told once you have a season like Kaep the next season is a fluke.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Why would we let Aldon walk when we can just trade Brooks 7mil salary for a 4th round pick or something? Brooks base salary is only guaranteed if he's injured so if your cutting somebody you should turn one into the other. Also I love Iupati but you don't chose a guard over 1000yard receiver who gets more YAC than Pablo Escobar. You just don't invest that much money in your Oline. It's not sustainable. Plus Boone should see a big money extention soon and he can play tackle.

There are quite a few GM's around the league who don't agree with that. In fact, the one thing you can say about most championship teams is that they have a strong, cohesive offensive line. Whether or not a championship team needs a thousand yard receiver is questionable.

I suspect that they see their priorities in order as Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati and Crabtree. And, if Patton breaks out this year and Baldwin ends up producing like a first rounder should, Crabtree becomes an even less important priority.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
There are quite a few GM's around the league who don't agree with that. In fact, the one thing you can say about most championship teams is that they have a strong, cohesive offensive line. Whether or not a championship team needs a thousand yard receiver is questionable.

I suspect that they see their priorities in order as Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati and Crabtree. And, if Patton breaks out this year and Baldwin ends up producing like a first rounder should, Crabtree becomes an even less important priority.

We have a cohesive line without Iupati! We probably have a top 5 olinemen at each spot minus center which we still have a vet at. You don't need that to be cohesive. Plain and simple. The Ravens Super Bowl Oline was thrown together at the end of the season and they performed wonderfully. I mean at some point you have to say to yourself that we'll be okay with Staley,Boone, and Davis as the backbone but maybe just maybe having Kaeps top target locked up for 4-5 years is more important than getting extra cheese on your double cheeseburger. Iupati can be replaced. Crabtree can't/ Crabtree brings so many assets to our offense that you honestly wont get from anybody on the roster. He's physical, excellent at running routes, getting separation, sublime hands, and he's absolutely ridiculous at making YAC. Can you name one person that offers that kind of dynamic presence? You need that to be contender. You need at least two great offensive threats(davis and crab). Honestly signing Iupati over Crab will hurt our chances at a Superbowl because we have no one on the roster that could even come close to replicating what he offers to the offense not to mention the threat he presents to defenses. Ultimately I think he's going to want to get paid and he will want that money guaranteed and that wont fly with FO.
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM ]
I worry about this like I'd worry about how much taxes would be if I won the lottery

Its simply untrue that gms value guards more than wide receiver. we have clear historical evidence of this in the draft.
Originally posted by outside4949:
Its simply untrue that gms value guards more than wide receiver. we have clear historical evidence of this in the draft.

That's not what the post said. The post said that they value a cohesive powerful offensive line more than wide receivers.
Some of you guys should have learned something from the examples of the Patriots and the Giants. Harbaugh and Baalke seem to have noticed. A real good quarterback can make receivers productive, but he cannot do that without a real good offensive line.
That's not what the post said. The post said that they value a cohesive powerful offensive line more than wide receivers.

you do whats best for the team. much easier to plugin another guard than find another crabtree. going by your line of thinking we should have never let goldson go. we broke up the secondary. maybe your right, maybe harbaugh will be so worried about the offensive line he will keep iupati. but i doubt it.

The whole point is to win the SB, so I don't know how that could be a bad thing. I don't care if Kap demands $20 mil per year. It's not my money and he's arguably the most physically gifted QB I've ever seen. Aldon also deserves a monster contract and we'll give it to him. There will be more losses like Goldson, but we will make up for that by drafting good, cheap players and extending our top players.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
you got 2 options, have good football players and have to pay them. or be like we were earlier in the 2000's, your choice.

Hmm... I wonder which one to choose?

If it were that simple, there would be no need for general managers.
I think Crabs is the odd man out. He will run to the highest bidder, which probably won't be SF. Holdout post draft?

I don't care who the QB is, 20mm per stifles the ability to build a team unless there are some very unselfish people who will take less. What works now for us is that we have young, relatively inexpensive talent on both sides of the ball. That window will close as they become more seasoned. Or, it might not if, again, some of them are willing to take a hometown discount.
Is this will the sky be falling thread?
Originally posted by UKNiners:
I think Crabs is the odd man out. He will run to the highest bidder, which probably won't be SF. Holdout post draft?

I don't care who the QB is, 20mm per stifles the ability to build a team unless there are some very unselfish people who will take less. What works now for us is that we have young, relatively inexpensive talent on both sides of the ball. That window will close as they become more seasoned. Or, it might not if, again, some of them are willing to take a hometown discount.

thats a great point. money demands might work this out.
Share 49ersWebzone