There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Andy Lee unveiling the knuck?

Watch for the knuckleball in the last preseason game.

Punters have gotten pretty amazing with their craft, kicking for a dead ball inside 20 has kind of replaced the coffin corners, maybe the knuckleball will be the latest punting inovation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/28/49ers-andy-lee-plans-to-unveil-knuckleball-punt/
lol at this reply...

So basically a punt that looks like a Tebow pass attempt.
I wonder if there is a downside to this knucklekick. Does the ball not travel as far since it's not spinning/rotating?

Let's see it.
Originally posted by thl408:
I wonder if there is a downside to this knucklekick. Does the ball not travel as far since it's not spinning/rotating?

Let's see it.

That's what I was wondering. But I would think that would be ideal if you're punting from the 40-50, looking for hang time, and trying to pin them back anyway.

Let's see it.

That and it's probably a higher degree of difficulty.
Kinda wish he would have kept it on the DL till after we see how affective it could be.

Let's see it.

Lee said previously that he still can't consistently kick it accurate distances. He can hit it and it knuckles, but being able to control the distance is hard for him. Until he is comfortable with that he doesn't want to use it in the game.
Since when did we start disclosing secrets? sounds like were scaring other teams into preparing for something we will never use.
Originally posted by outside4949:
Since when did we start disclosing secrets? sounds like were scaring other teams into preparing for something we will never use.

Or are we? Maybe teams think that we are only trying to scare them, and thus choose to not practice catching knuckle punts.
He talked about this @ 3:15 in this video http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Andy_Lee_Im_Still_Trying_to_Get_Better/12c6c0cd-c896-4348-83d6-6c8c83331e55 on Aug 7.

He's been working on it for 3 years.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Or are we? Maybe teams think that we are only trying to scare them, and thus choose to not practice catching knuckle punts.

"Knuckle punts." lol. Well coined.
Probably not as cool as the knuckle puck on The Mighty Ducks.
As long as Andy Lee doesn't try to throw another failed PAT attempt, I am game.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Aug 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Probably not as cool as the knuckle puck on The Mighty Ducks.

Doesn't matter if teams know that it is coming you still have to catch it. Everyone knew Phil Niekro was going to throw the knuckler but it didn't make it any easier to hit.