LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 136 users in the forums

Haralson....

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Afrikan:
to be fair, I never felt it was Harbaugh that made or pushed for this decision.

We might never know for sure, but I doubt Baalke makes this move if Harbaugh didn't agree and tell him Parys was expendable. IMO
I'm gonna leave it as agreeing to disagree before I go to bed. We were worse off without him last year, and he is way better than the other backups now....you all were saying Parys was dominating against 2nd teamer....sorry the Cheifs had their 1st team out there all half, and the Vikings had their first team in their till way in the third quarter, and he was making plays. Parys still has game....and this year he would have been a great contributor, well over Lemonior and the other kid.
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Aug 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by susweel:
should have just cut him seventh is pretty much nothing. 8 year vet one of the most tenured players on the team should have just given him his release and let him pick his own team. but oh well no big deal

Some notable 7th round picks for the 49ers:
2013 - BJ Daniels
2012 - Cam Johnson
2011 - Bruce Miller
2010 - Ricky Jean-Francois

the first two are nothing yet. the second two are a very small minority

Not to mention that teams rarely if ever draft a true fullback, and RJF took so many years to develop that by the time he was ready his contract was up. Most late rounders do not become starters overnight, if at all. And if they do become something, its usually after years of development.
I guess youve been to every practice and know that as a fact.
I'm confused. Since when was Parys Haralson this impact pass rusher that would have solved our pass rushing woes late last season when Aldon and Justin got hurt? HE'S NOT. That's why we drafted Lemonier, and you can actually see his pass rush ability pop off your TV screen. No way is Parys a better situational pass rusher than Corey, and no way is he a better ST player than Skuta. Parys was an extra body with no clear role. That's why he was traded.
I want to say thank you to Parys. He was always a solid, not outstanding, player that gave max effort. I was really excited watching him this preseason because he had his beast mode on and playing better than I had ever seen him. I was psyched and thought he would be an outstanding backup. I am surprised, almost shocked, that he wasn't going to make the roster. I wish him well and hopes he does awesome with the Saints (except when we play them). Thanks Parys!
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
I'm gonna leave it as agreeing to disagree before I go to bed. We were worse off without him last year, and he is way better than the other backups now....you all were saying Parys was dominating against 2nd teamer....sorry the Cheifs had their 1st team out there all half, and the Vikings had their first team in their till way in the third quarter, and he was making plays. Parys still has game....and this year he would have been a great contributor, well over Lemonior and the other kid.

Disappointed with the trade as well...Parys gave us way better depth that would of shown up especially towards the end of season and in the playoffs..
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

I agree with this.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Tampa will be so much better this year with Revis, Goldson, and Banks in the secondary with a very solid front 7. Doug Martin in his second year with a very good OL, WR's, and Freeman (I think) taking the next step.

I think Cam Newton will have a terrific year as well. They added two of the best DL's in the draft in Lotuleilei and Short. Kuechly is an absolute stud LB.
Sure Peyton is back and Brees is great but they don't have a very good run game and are instilling a new defense.

Oh for sure both those teams will be better, and their defenses will definitely show up. But more often than not it comes down to the QB, Brees made a late push last season carrying the team on his back. Figure having a true head coach will only help them, wouldnt put money on it doe cause like you said both the Bucs and panthers are much improved. Keuchley is a beast, probably the new Urlacher with how he covers the pass, dude is legit.
I wonder what the saints fan think about his trade.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm confused. Since when was Parys Haralson this impact pass rusher that would have solved our pass rushing woes late last season when Aldon and Justin got hurt? HE'S NOT. That's why we drafted Lemonier, and you can actually see his pass rush ability pop off your TV screen. No way is Parys a better situational pass rusher than Corey, and no way is he a better ST player than Skuta. Parys was an extra body with no clear role. That's why he was traded.

He ain't a pass rusher like Aldon, but he is a way better run stuffer and plays better pass coverage than either Aldon or Brooks...why do you think they used him the way they did in 2011? Lemonior is just learning the OLB position, no doubt he has more talent than Parys, but Parys has experience along with good play making ability....Skuta could have been saved to the PS this year.
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Aug 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM ]
disappointed. thought we'd get more than this for him. he's a good run defender and can spell some of the pass rushers once in a while. id rather have his depth and lose him in the off-season than get a seventh rounder which likely may not even contribute.
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
I wonder what the saints fan think about his trade.

they are ecstatic on their forums....some didn't like how Smith was playing in the 3-4 anyway. To be honest, I thought they'd have him as an end... I mean, he's pretty huge.
Matt Maiocco ✔ @MaioccoCSN The Haralson trade/salary dump is a business decision made with an eye toward the big contract(s) that the 49ers know are coming.

I'll say this, if this was the main reason...and not because they believe Super Skuta was a better player to keep a roster spot, like some feel here...then I can accept it....a small bit.
  • dj43
I've been gone for most of the afternoon and just got back to hear this news. I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. It seemed pretty obvious Haralson was fighting for a roster spot as the #4 or #5 OLB.

To me it came down to the fact that Skuta is valuable on ST and had been playing well since the move to OLB. Lemonier is going to be the first guy off the bench when a pass rush is needed. That makes Haralson a disposable piece. He was going to be released had NO not come calling desperately to replace Will Smith. This way NO gets a guy they need for only a 7th rather than getting into a bidding war that might have cost them more if they had to compete with other teams after his release. Haralson winds up on a nice team and we get a 7th. That is more than I expected as I analyzed where PH stood on the depth chart.
Share 49ersWebzone