There are 825 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Originally posted by paulk205:
So where does Tolzien rank in the list of All-Time Webzone Offseason Mancrushes? Up there with Nate Davis? Would he start or would he be the backup QB in the Webzone Mancrush 53, with such luminaries as Nate, Kory Sheets, Marcus Maxwell and Lockette?


Forgot Thomas Clayton. Too bad we couldn't have put Nate Davis' tools with Scott Tolzien's mind. Could have had something then.
Cardinal Tolzein
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Forgot Thomas Clayton. Too bad we couldn't have put Nate Davis' tools with Scott Tolzien's mind. Could have had something then.

the league doesn't allow the Master Blaster offense......yet!

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Del Rodgers, a special teams ace on Walsh teams of the eighties and now a sportscaster at KCRA TV in Sacramento, had some harsh words for Austin Collie. He knew Collie was the local kid. He knew Collie wanted to play, But he essentially told his audience during the pre-game show last night that Collie was "done" and should do himself and his family a favor and "retire."

Del is rarely that outspoken. But he played this game. He played for Walsh. He was a special teams stud for six seasons. If anyone would know, Del would.

I was really surprised by his comments.

I like Collie a lot but every time he gets tackled I cringe.
Originally posted by Psinex:
I don't understand how there isn't some kind of non-disclosure agreement where players aren't allowed to discuss another team's playbook once they get signed to another team. I suppose it would be difficult to enforce, but there should be some protection in place like any business that deals with concepts.


I'm not worried since most of his answers based on his play performance would be"I don't know"...
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I don't really think that this is as much of an issue as some fans make it out to be. Players from other teams can sometimes help in identifying certain tendencies or specific strengths/weaknesses of some players. Craig Dahl helped the Niners in telling them that the Rams were able to determine what type of play the Niners were going to run based on their formation. But giving information about the playbook is not really all that helpful. There are what some 2000 plays in the playbook, which is constantly evolving. Many plays can be run from the same formations. So even if a player went to another team and told them everything they know about the playbook, that still won't necessarily tell them everything about the 49ers offense. The other team still has try to decipher plays from formations and call the right defensive play to defend a particular offensive play. It's not really that simple.

Yeah, good points here...plus, he'll probably just get picked up by the Raiders, Jets or Bills since they're in good waiver-wire priority positions. No problem there, and his knowledge from being in the Niners' system will probably only help those offenses...:-)


True, although I don't know that anything can help the Raiders at this point.
Originally posted by VA49er:
No real suprises at all. These were all easy decisions. Tolzien has not played well enough to get snatched up. We will stow him on the P-Squad. 80% chance. Everyone else was nowhere near the roster.

People that are in the 1st wave of cuts almost never make p-squad.
Add this guys to the waived players list:
OL Al netter
RB Harper
P Colton schmidt
LB Joe Holland
My 15 cuts from 90 are the following (and SOB this is hard!):

Offense:
QB: Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace
RB: Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper
FB: Jason Scheplar
X: Chuck Jacobs, Lavelle Hawkins
Y (SLOT): Chad Hall, Austin Collie
Z: Kassim Osgood
TE: Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray
LOT: Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski
LG: Al Netter
RG: Wayne Tribune
ROT: Patrick Omameh

Defense:
RDE: Lawrence Okoye, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell
LDE: Will Tukuafu
TED: Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson
MIKE: Joe Holland
WILL: Cameron Johnson
SLOT: Darryl Morris
FS: Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas
SS: Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams:
K: Colton Schmidt
Originally posted by NCommand:
My 15 cuts from 90 are the following (and SOB this is hard!):

Offense:
QB: Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace
RB: Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper
FB: Jason Scheplar
X: Chuck Jacobs, Lavelle Hawkins
Y (SLOT): Chad Hall, Austin Collie
Z: Kassim Osgood
TE: Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray
LOT: Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski
LG: Al Netter
RG: Wayne Tribune
ROT: Patrick Omameh

Defense:
RDE: Lawrence Okoye, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell
LDE: Will Tukuafu
TED: Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson
MIKE: Joe Holland
WILL: Cameron Johnson
SLOT: Darryl Morris
FS: Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas
SS: Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams:
K: Colton Schmidt

you think we'll cut tukuafu??
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Forgot Thomas Clayton. Too bad we couldn't have put Nate Davis' tools with Scott Tolzien's mind. Could have had something then.

the league doesn't allow the Master Blaster offense......yet!


LOL!
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Del Rodgers, a special teams ace on Walsh teams of the eighties and now a sportscaster at KCRA TV in Sacramento, had some harsh words for Austin Collie. He knew Collie was the local kid. He knew Collie wanted to play, But he essentially told his audience during the pre-game show last night that Collie was "done" and should do himself and his family a favor and "retire."

Del is rarely that outspoken. But he played this game. He played for Walsh. He was a special teams stud for six seasons. If anyone would know, Del would.

I was really surprised by his comments.

I like Collie a lot but every time he gets tackled I cringe.

He hit his head on the turf on one catch... I ain't gonna lie, I was holding my breath.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
you think we'll cut tukuafu??

Totally! Here are my notes from yesterday's game:

LDE: Will Tukuafu – This guy plays so hard, hustles so much but has some of the worst ball-awareness I've seen. He is active and disruptive but lacks discipline. He played one snap at NT (bad idea). He leave big lanes open when he misses and he misses often.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174331-preseason-2013-week-thoughts-rewatching-game/page6/#lL0D2Xgl8lwIZTjF.99

PS; Also, keep in mind Dorsey plays both DE and NT. So you have McDonald, Ian Williams/Dorsey, Smith/Dobbs. We may even have a dark horse in Lamar Divens as well (2-gap NT). And Carradine/Dial are expected back at some point (late in the season).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
My 15 cuts from 90 are the following (and SOB this is hard!):

Offense:
QB: Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace
RB: Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper
FB: Jason Scheplar
X: Chuck Jacobs, Lavelle Hawkins
Y (SLOT): Chad Hall, Austin Collie
Z: Kassim Osgood
TE: Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray
LOT: Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski
LG: Al Netter
RG: Wayne Tribune
ROT: Patrick Omameh

Defense:
RDE: Lawrence Okoye, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell
LDE: Will Tukuafu
TED: Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson
MIKE: Joe Holland
WILL: Cameron Johnson
SLOT: Darryl Morris
FS: Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas
SS: Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams:
K: Colton Schmidt

I would send Omameh packing before he gets one of the remaining QBs injured. I'd also dump Stupar before Johnson, but overall I like how you use a machete.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
you think we'll cut tukuafu??

Totally! Here are my notes from yesterday's game:

LDE: Will Tukuafu – This guy plays so hard, hustles so much but has some of the worst ball-awareness I've seen. He is active and disruptive but lacks discipline. He played one snap at NT (bad idea). He leave big lanes open when he misses and he misses often.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174331-preseason-2013-week-thoughts-rewatching-game/page6/#lL0D2Xgl8lwIZTjF.99

PS; Also, keep in mind Dorsey plays both DE and NT. So you have McDonald, Ian Williams/Dorsey, Smith/Dobbs. We may even have a dark horse in Lamar Divens as well (2-gap NT). And Carradine/Dial are expected back at some point (late in the season).

Harbaugh and Roman seem to like him by using him on Offense but you're probably right. I liked him though.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM ]