Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Is he practice squad eligible?

No. See the problem now ? Sigh...

I'd definetly take him over K. Williams. Maybe he stays unsigned and we can sign him later in the season when Williams is struggling to come back.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

I'd definetly take him over K. Williams. Maybe he stays unsigned and we can sign him later in the season when Williams is struggling to come back.

I wouldn't.

Kyle Williams performs well, for his role, against #1s and has significant regular season and playoff experience. Hawkins did well against 2's and 3's in games that didn't matter and was having a hard time even staying in the league.

Hawkins is a good guy to pick up off the street when a WR or two goes down with injury later in the season. He is not an upgrade now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Just have to hope if he does it doesn't cost us a game but I get what the team is doing. Will be hard to say goodbye to a lot of good players but we have to ensure our future. Lee is a great person to learn from. He was so close with Jennings and whoever the kicker is at the time. Those guys spend so much time together.

Yeah 49erphan... someone posted in the Jennings thread the 49ers don't believe a long snapper like McDermott comes along every year and that 15 teams checked him out. That's pretty dang impressive for a long snapper.

And like cc said if McDermott does that bad which I doubt he will we could always call up Jennings if he isn't signed by another team. Same with guys like Hawkins... if we have an injury at WR we probably have a try out between Chuck Jacobs, Hawkins, Hall, etc. Guys we are familiar with. Same with LS we'd probably have Jennings come back and if he is taken probably try out Kyle Nelson.
agree. I think the coaches already have a backup plan in case the kid flops,. with one or two exceptions(linebacker depth last year is the one i think of) this regime usually has a sound plan for what they are doing and a solid plan b because they know that if you stand still, you lose ground and that is how you lose your job. by the way gore,, my daughter is looking for a team name for her fantasy football league and I suggested gore21 because it is a nice name and a nice salute to a wonderful player. if you have a copyright on this or if there is some reason she should not do this, let me know. I do not play fantasy football nor do i know the rules. I am a 1974 mattell talking football person, which was awesome along with pivot pool back then
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Hawkins would've been our Best Kick Returner! Play-maker! Bad choice to cut!

you do not know that after two games and a small body of work. not worth the risk plus the kid would probably cost us with stupid immature penalties. yes he was a highlight reel but I also have a feeling he would be a headache and problem child down the road. easy to forget to me
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Hawkins gets a game ball after the game and then gets cut? COME ON MAN!

game balls, working with ck in the off season and running a hill with jerry rice are all over rated
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:

I wouldn't.

Kyle Williams performs well, for his role, against #1s and has significant regular season and playoff experience. Hawkins did well against 2's and 3's in games that didn't matter and was having a hard time even staying in the league.

Hawkins is a good guy to pick up off the street when a WR or two goes down with injury later in the season. He is not an upgrade now.

We don't know how Williams is going to respond after the ACL. I personally, think he's going to struggle to come back. He was never a burner type and I think he's going to be that much slower. I'd without a doubt take Hawkins, right now, over Williams.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Yeah he made only a few plays but the plays he made are on Sportscenter! Highlight reels! The play of the preseason in the entire NFL!

yes, lets keep a guy cuz he was on sports center, ,,, hell lawrence phillips once ran 80 yards for a score in pre season for us so that means nothing
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
We don't know how Williams is going to respond after the ACL. I personally, think he's going to struggle to come back. He was never a burner type and I think he's going to be that much slower. I'd without a doubt take Hawkins, right now, over Williams.
well i am not willing to risk putting that type of responsibility into the hands of a guy whose body of work is two pre season games for us. i think hawkins is a want and not a need
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Seriously, we could have taken 6 WRs. As for Williams, he is an OK wideout, but as far as kick returns go, no, he can't do it. And by the same token, same goes with LMJ. I am sure if they wanted to keep him, there could have been hundreds of ways to do it. Check this out, we've kept Raymond Ventrone and yet we cut Hawkins. What can you say to that ?!

Well, will he be able to clear waivers in running through that 31-team gauntlet ? I don't know. And equally important is did Harbaugh ever have any intention in keeping him on the roster ? I also don't know. If I were a betting man, I would say the odds aren't looking good. We shall see.
The play of Patton once he was able to catch with both hands probably made the decision to keep only 5 WRs easier. I suspect that this won't be the same 53 to play against the Packers. Moves may be coming in addition to the Marecic rumor.

It seems as though the Coaches might want the new LS because he moves better on coverage downfield after the snap,and of course the $$ savings and lock him up now.
[ Edited by highway49 on Sep 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Just have to hope if he does it doesn't cost us a game but I get what the team is doing. Will be hard to say goodbye to a lot of good players but we have to ensure our future. Lee is a great person to learn from. He was so close with Jennings and whoever the kicker is at the time. Those guys spend so much time together.

Yeah 49erphan... someone posted in the Jennings thread the 49ers don't believe a long snapper like McDermott comes along every year and that 15 teams checked him out. That's pretty dang impressive for a long snapper.

And like cc said if McDermott does that bad which I doubt he will we could always call up Jennings if he isn't signed by another team. Same with guys like Hawkins... if we have an injury at WR we probably have a try out between Chuck Jacobs, Hawkins, Hall, etc. Guys we are familiar with. Same with LS we'd probably have Jennings come back and if he is taken probably try out Kyle Nelson.
agree. I think the coaches already have a backup plan in case the kid flops,. with one or two exceptions(linebacker depth last year is the one i think of) this regime usually has a sound plan for what they are doing and a solid plan b because they know that if you stand still, you lose ground and that is how you lose your job. by the way gore,, my daughter is looking for a team name for her fantasy football league and I suggested gore21 because it is a nice name and a nice salute to a wonderful player. if you have a copyright on this or if there is some reason she should not do this, let me know. I do not play fantasy football nor do i know the rules. I am a 1974 mattell talking football person, which was awesome along with pivot pool back then
cc start using paragraphs plz? I like reading your posts but it hurts my eyes. Thank you!
[ Edited by verb1der on Sep 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
cc start using paragraphs plz? I like reading your posts but it hurts my eyes. Thank you!
i have tried but it does not take. i am sorry but a man has got to know his limitations
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by verb1der:
i have tried but it does not take. i am sorry but a man has got to know his limitations

"Cool Hand Luke"
Seriously, we could have taken 6 WRs. As for Williams, he is an OK wideout, but as far as kick returns go, no, he can't do it. And by the same token, same goes with LMJ. I am sure if they wanted to keep him, there could have been hundreds of ways to do it. Check this out, we've kept Raymond Ventrone and yet we cut Hawkins. What can you say to that ?!

Well, will he be able to clear waivers in running through that 31-team gauntlet ? I don't know. And equally important is did Harbaugh ever have any intention in keeping him on the roster ? I also don't know. If I were a betting man, I would say the odds aren't looking good. We shall see.

Rascals never been one to let stats get in the way of obsessive opinions but for other people in the thread.

Kyle Williams - 21 Kick returns for 539 yards = 25.6
Hawkins - 14 returns for 335 yards =23.9
Share 49ersWebzone