There are 220 users in the forums

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Hawkins would've been our Best Kick Returner! Play-maker! Bad choice to cut!

This. No argument there. This is highly disappointing !!

I think it just means the coaches considered the level of competition they did it against.
Please help me understand why we cut Hawkins....DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Magzarillious:

$$.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

$$.

Hmmm yeah we are on the cap bubble arent we?? Wonder who was the bubble player. Because you got to think Hawkins was right there to the end.

One or two good plays? I liked the guy but practices have been closed and maybe he just didn't show enough...obviously, did not show enough for JH to keep him. But could they bring him back? They do that a lot, trying to juggle the roster, so perhaps they have a deal...so many things we can't know.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I think Looney made it based on no other good OL available. The rest on 90 man were junk. Wiggins, Netter, Bykowski all played bad. Maybe we see a vet come in. But I think they like Looney and all 8 guys.

Celek is a ST asset. Also a good blocker. I liked Gray more though, Hoping he akes it thru waivers.

Morris and Cooper I hope so too. Want them on the P-Squad.

There's a good chance these guys will make it to the PS as they were low or non draft choices. It's not like we're cutting 3rd round guys. Other GMs may know them and want them but odds are in the 9ers favor to keep most of the young developmental guys this year. And then there are the ten guys on injury lists!

I am disappointed they haven't found a developmental OT. Seem to miss each year, but perhaps they count on Boone moving and Kilgore or Looney at RG.
Hawkins gets a game ball after the game and then gets cut? COME ON MAN!
Yeah he made only a few plays but the plays he made are on Sportscenter! Highlight reels! The play of the preseason in the entire NFL!
[ Edited by CRABTREE on Sep 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM ]
Hawkins was a show ... late in ... not games, but PRE-SEASON! Does everyone bemoaning Hawkins release realize he's not a rookie? He's been around and been average for years? Do you realize that he's not a burner, he just looks fast because he was playing against people who are no longer in the NFL today? Williams and Manningham are similar in size, Williams is faster ... both are more known to the team and have had a lot more practice with the team. Patton is bigger and by some accounts quicker and faster than Hawkins with better hands and a better brain. Hawkins was, at best, a fringe roster player.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Hawkins gets a game ball after the game and then gets cut? COME ON MAN!

That's what I said. Remember the "Kiss of death" thread ? There we have it.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scoots:
Hawkins was a show ... late in ... not games, but PRE-SEASON! Does everyone bemoaning Hawkins release realize he's not a rookie? He's been around and been average for years? Do you realize that he's not a burner, he just looks fast because he was playing against people who are no longer in the NFL today? Williams and Manningham are similar in size, Williams is faster ... both are more known to the team and have had a lot more practice with the team. Patton is bigger and by some accounts quicker and faster than Hawkins with better hands and a better brain. Hawkins was, at best, a fringe roster player.

All I know is what I saw. I saw a guy who plays the game with passon, instinctual, has great vision, lightning fast decision-making, acute-angled cuts and game speed. You can't really teach kick return, is either you have it or you don't.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Is he practice squad eligible?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:

$$.

you can not have everyone,maybe it was dollars, maybe they just thought in the long run the guys they kept are better than him, maybe they saw some headaches down the road with him and maybe they are happy with the guys they got at wide out and kick returns now. i am fine with our wide outs we have and if we start the season with kyle and cox as punt returners and kendall hunter and kyle as our main kick returners then work james into the kickoff duties when he gets back, it is good and in my opinion , much better than last year when ginn ran the ball to the 20 and on punts ran out of bounds after five yards
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Is he practice squad eligible?

No. See the problem now ? Sigh...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I heard an "analyst" on NFL network talking about Jennings and McDermott. He said that the consideration may not be just money saved, but also that reliable long snappers don't necessarily come along every year, so that the 49ers may want to switch now that they have a what looks like a good prospect to be reliable for a long time rather than wait until Jennings either retired or became less reliable at which point there might not be a good replacement snapper available.
most of the experts are stupid but the one you heard has sound reasoning in my opinion for the move.. people got over lott being cut, they got over jamie winborn being cut, they got over battle and korey sheets being cut,, they will get over this to. I am glad the coaches had the foresight to give the kid alot of work in two pre season games which was invaluable to him in my opinion
Share 49ersWebzone