There are 130 users in the forums

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really hate seeing Chuck go..
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

Me too, but if even Hawkins couldn't make it, Chuck had no chance. But, I think we will try to sign him to the practice squad though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

You'll get over it.
We get too attached to these players and then act like it's the end of the world when they get cut. Then we get to the regular season and realize that guess what they were likely going to be inactive every game anyways. Most that get cut don't go on to do anything anyways. That being said out of the guys we cut I liked Jacobs, Gray, Cooper the best. Gray would have been the only one active on game days. Just have to hope they are on the PS at the end of the year and if they are they will have a good shot at the team next year. Remember if they like it here so much they have a chance to turn down a 53 man roster to stay with our PS. Lockette and other did it the last few years.

As for Hawkins we don't even use that many 3 WR sets much less 4 or 5. Odds are he wouldn't have gotten much playing time and would have been inactive most games. Unless we planned on making him kick returner. As for WR sure maybe he could have done better here but the guy spent 5 years at Tennessee with a total of 71 catches 771 yards and 1 td. Then he gets cut by the WR needy Patriots before signing with us. I'm surprised he even had a chance after the first 2 weeks... first game 2 drops, 2nd game I think had 2 receptions. 3rd game yeah he had the big play for a td and the once nice catch for 20ish yards but he also had (3 personal fouls, 2 counted) so that takes away his 22 yard gain and makes it 7. Then the kickoff return cost us 15 yards so we kicked off from the 20.... not a good thing. I liked his excitement but to get a penalty after Harbaugh talks to you was just not good. I know was just a head butt with an old team mate but the refs don't care if it was friendly. Then 4th game thought he had no chance up until he made that great TD catch. Gave him some hope but really in the regular season that could have gotten picked or the DB tackles him after he catches the deflection.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 3:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
We get too attached to these players and then act like it's the end of the world when they get cut. Then we get to the regular season and realize that guess what they were likely going to be inactive every game anyways. Most that get cut don't go on to do anything anyways. That being said out of the guys we cut I liked Jacobs, Gray, Cooper the best. Gray would have been the only one active on game days. Just have to hope they are on the PS at the end of the year and if they are they will have a good shot at the team next year. Remember if they like it here so much they have a chance to turn down a 53 man roster to stay with our PS. Lockette and other did it the last few years.

As for Hawkins we don't even use that many 3 WR sets much less 4 or 5. Odds are he wouldn't have gotten much playing time and would have been inactive most games. Unless we planned on making him kick returner. As for WR sure maybe he could have done better here but the guy spent 5 years at Tennessee with a total of 71 catches 771 yards and 1 td. Then he gets cut by the WR needy Patriots before signing with us. I'm surprised he even had a chance after the first 2 weeks... first game 2 drops, 2nd game I think had 2 receptions. 3rd game yeah he had the big play for a td and the once nice catch for 20ish yards but he also had (3 personal fouls, 2 counted) so that takes away his 22 yard gain and makes it 7. Then the kickoff return cost us 15 yards so we kicked off from the 20.... not a good thing. I liked his excitement but to get a penalty after Harbaugh talks to you was just not good. I know was just a head butt with an old team mate but the refs don't care if it was friendly. Then 4th game thought he had no chance up until he made that great TD catch. Gave him some hope but really in the regular season that could have gotten picked or the DB tackles him after he catches the deflection.

I dont think anyone is too upset about anyone cut besides Brian Jennings.

Outside Jennings, none of the guys cut were important parts of a Super Bowl contending roster. Most of the ones that were any good will get placed on the practice squad anyways.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Outside Jennings, none of the guys cut were important parts of a Super Bowl contending roster. Most of the ones that were any good will get placed on the practice squad anyways.

Was just talking in general, every year a lot of people get upset over cuts. This year I would say some with Hawkins but yeah I'd agree main one was Jennings. Now if Daniels would have been cut a lot would have been pissed including me. It's not a Nate Davis, Tolzien crush. Think we really have something with him. He looked better than they ever did. Guy is making veteran throws, has the arm, can run and he's pump faking which is something Alex rarely did even in year 8 or whatever.

As for Jennings I get why we made the cut. We are in the middle of a youth movement and trying to save money for the 2015 FAs. Sucks we are going to have to lose some good players like Haralson, Jennings andpossibly Goodwin, Whitner and Brown after this year but if we have to do it to secure our future then that's what we have to do. Some people can sign the old guys who were our past and present... I'll go with Kap, Aldo, Culliver, Iupati, Hunter, Miller, etc. Tough way to save 545k though and if he makes one bad snap that costs us a game 545k will seem like chump change. That being said they liked him and thought he was the best LS in college. He's 23 so he will be able to grow with Lee and company and if all goes right he could be with us for 10+ years. He's signed through 2015 to start. If he doesn't work out who knows could always re-sign Jennings if he is out there. Might cost more but it's an option. Still think we will roll with Kevin even if he makes a mistake or 2.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM ]
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by sdcindy:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sigh.

Marvin, I just don't feel our depth on the offensive line is very good. Looney especially doesn't do anything for me. So we differ. That's okay.
The front office should be examining the waiver for any tackle. Snyder can't play tackle except at the worst possible level. If A. Davis or Staley gets hurt then Boone will have to move over and someone will replace, making the Niners weaker at two positions.

I don't know how good/bad Boone would be at tackle, but Snyder wasn't that bad at right guard for us. Of course, maybe I'm smoking something, or maybe it was just the fact that he looked soooo much better than Chilo. But anyway, any team that loses an all-pro at any position feels the sting, but I'm comfortable we'd be at least serviceable. (I mean, after all, it's not Alex "Throw-Away King" Smith they're protecting any more, but one of the best mobile QBs I've ever seen!)

@sdc: I feel you about Looney. I thought they were grooming him to take over for Iupati in case they can't work out an extension, but based on what I saw this summer, I wouldn't trust him in the 4th quarter against scrubs with a 49 point lead! I'm hoping by next year, with Marquardt healthy, we'll have Boone Part Deux.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

this is more than the truth and even if the kid flops, we can call jennings out of retirement like we did haley in 98. a solid roster, wonderful defensive depth which was glaring need last year. a solid roster, onward and upward now. i will pay casual attention to the guys who got cut to see what they do with their next team but i foresee them not doing as well as they could have in san fran due to our culture, climate, coaches (even roman as i grit my teeth) and vet players.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Was just talking in general, every year a lot of people get upset over cuts. This year I would say some with Hawkins but yeah I'd agree main one was Jennings. Now if Daniels would have been cut a lot would have been pissed including me. It's not a Nate Davis, Tolzien crush. Think we really have something with him. He looked better than they ever did. Guy is making veteran throws, has the arm, can run and he's pump faking which is something Alex rarely did even in year 8 or whatever.

As for Jennings I get why we made the cut. We are in the middle of a youth movement and trying to save money for the 2015 FAs. Sucks we are going to have to lose some good players like Haralson, Jennings andpossibly Goodwin, Whitner and Brown after this year but if we have to do it to secure our future then that's what we have to do. Some people can sign the old guys who were our past and present... I'll go with Kap, Aldo, Culliver, Iupati, Hunter, Miller, etc. Tough way to save 545k though and if he makes one bad snap that costs us a game 545k will seem like chump change. That being said they liked him and thought he was the best LS in college. He's 23 so he will be able to grow with Lee and company and if all goes right he could be with us for 10+ years. He's signed through 2015 to start. If he doesn't work out who knows could always re-sign Jennings if he is out there. Might cost more but it's an option. Still think we will roll with Kevin even if he makes a mistake or 2.

i think the kid got all of the work in the last two games so you combine that with practice and the fact he will probably spend every single minute of every single day working with lee, it will be good. if he blows a snap i will not be upset because that is just the way it goes. the reasoning to make the move was sound both in terms of the age of jennings and the cost savings which can be applied to signing cornerstone people like aldon and ck down the road.
I heard an "analyst" on NFL network talking about Jennings and McDermott. He said that the consideration may not be just money saved, but also that reliable long snappers don't necessarily come along every year, so that the 49ers may want to switch now that they have a what looks like a good prospect to be reliable for a long time rather than wait until Jennings either retired or became less reliable at which point there might not be a good replacement snapper available.

Originally posted by cciowa:
i think the kid got all of the work in the last two games so you combine that with practice and the fact he will probably spend every single minute of every single day working with lee, it will be good. if he blows a snap i will not be upset because that is just the way it goes. the reasoning to make the move was sound both in terms of the age of jennings and the cost savings which can be applied to signing cornerstone people like aldon and ck down the road.

Just have to hope if he does it doesn't cost us a game but I get what the team is doing. Will be hard to say goodbye to a lot of good players but we have to ensure our future. Lee is a great person to learn from. He was so close with Jennings and whoever the kicker is at the time. Those guys spend so much time together.

Yeah 49erphan... someone posted in the Jennings thread the 49ers don't believe a long snapper like McDermott comes along every year and that 15 teams checked him out. That's pretty dang impressive for a long snapper.

And like cc said if McDermott does that bad which I doubt he will we could always call up Jennings if he isn't signed by another team. Same with guys like Hawkins... if we have an injury at WR we probably have a try out between Chuck Jacobs, Hawkins, Hall, etc. Guys we are familiar with. Same with LS we'd probably have Jennings come back and if he is taken probably try out Kyle Nelson.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM ]
Hawkins would've been our Best Kick Returner! Play-maker! Bad choice to cut!
When you score a kick return/punt return touchdown you have a Huge advantage to win the game. It's like 80% teams that score a special teams td win. Who is better than Lavelle Hawkins at kick returns for us.....?
The Niners are making moves like they did during the glory years. They're refreshing some of the talent before some of the older guys hit the wall. As much as I hate to see Jennings and Haralson go, these are moves to keep the cupboards stocked and allow them to keep some of the core guys extended.

Next year, there will be some vets that will have a hard time sticking with the team. Rogers, Goodwin, Rio, Dahl, Whitner....

Whether all these guys pan out or not, the roster is getting populated with some potential. You have to like some of the flashes that McDonald, Patton, Lemonier, Johnson have shown and we haven't even seen Tank, Lattimore and Dial.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Hawkins would've been our Best Kick Returner! Play-maker! Bad choice to cut!

This. No argument there. This is highly disappointing !!
Share 49ersWebzone