There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Can anyone post a list of players that got cut? I've been busy all day :-/

WR Austin Collie, WR Kassim Osgood, QB Seneca Wallace, OL Carter Bykowski, DB Marcus Cooper, TE MarQueis Gray, WR Chad Hall, WR Lavelle Hawkins, LB Joe Holland, WR Chuck Jacobs, LS Brian Jennings, LB Travis Johnson, DB Darryl Morris, OL Patrick Omameh, NT Mike Purcell, S Trenton Robinson, FB Jason Schepler, S Michael Thomas, OL Wayne Tribue, OT Kenny Wiggins.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Surprised that Morris Hawkins Cooper were waived while Tukuafu, J-E, Looney, stayed. Morris and Hawkins will be claimed. Isn't the idea to waive people who won't get attention. Not sure why Celek made it. I see him getting zero time if Davis and McDonald stay healthy.

Why do we cut elite speed and some ball in the air playmaking for mediocre size up front? Don't get that. Did we cut the most reliable long snapper in the league for 500K? That's bubkes.

Surprised that Morris Hawkins Cooper were waived while Tukuafu, J-E, Looney, stayed. Morris and Hawkins will be claimed. Isn't the idea to waive people who won't get attention. Not sure why Celek made it. I see him getting zero time if Davis and McDonald stay healthy.

Why do we cut elite speed and some ball in the air playmaking for mediocre size up front? Don't get that. Did we cut the most reliable long snapper in the league for 500K? That's bubkes.

We can't just take the best 53 reguardless of position. We need to have as legitimate backups as possible in as many positions as possible. You wonder why we kept Celek? In an offense where we use 2 TEs 50% of the time you need to have at least 3 on the roster. Why Tukuafu and TJE? Again in a defense that uses smith and McDonald on every play you should at least have 1 backup if not 2.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hawkins, an NFL veteran is going to end up on the practice squad? Not sure if serious.

He's not eligible? Sorry, wasn't aware.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
We can't just take the best 53 reguardless of position. We need to have as legitimate backups as possible in as many positions as possible. You wonder why we kept Celek? In an offense where we use 2 TEs 50% of the time you need to have at least 3 on the roster. Why Tukuafu and TJE? Again in a defense that uses smith and McDonald on every play you should at least have 1 backup if not 2.

Yep, not to mention Dobbs is suspended week 1. Can't go into a game with 4 DL. I know they say it's best 53 but let's be honest ST and positions factor into the decisions. So does money or Jennings would have won. Example some team might have 7 WRs worthy of a roster spot but only 3 safeties. Does the team carry 7 WRs, 3 S's? No.... Some guys that got cut outplayed guys that made the team. Just the way it works.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hawkins, an NFL veteran is going to end up on the practice squad? Not sure if serious.

He's not eligible? Sorry, wasn't aware.

I don't think players who are in the league 4 or more years are eligible but not sure on that. Don't feel bad NFL is full of complicated rules. The practice squad is for developing young players. Think Hawkins is going on his 6th year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM ]
I was hoping Stupar would make it. Everyone wrote him off but he looked great against KC and had solid games against the Vikes and Chargers. I'm a little surprised by the Tukuafu. He lacks in pass rushing but he's good at keeping off the block. He was much better than Dobbs who a far as I could tell was more explosive but would get lost in the blocks.
I hope cutting Jennings doesn't backfire. He was automatic.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I was hoping Stupar would make it. Everyone wrote him off but he looked great against KC and had solid games against the Vikes and Chargers. I'm a little surprised by the Tukuafu. He lacks in pass rushing but he's good at keeping off the block. He was much better than Dobbs who a far as I could tell was more explosive but would get lost in the blocks.

Yeah Stupar first game played bad but the rest of the games played really well. Especially the KC game. I think he earned a spot just didn't think we would keep 5 ILBs. He might still get cut if we would sign Marecic or when Dobbs comes back .
Originally posted by SofaKing:

LS Brian Jennings, WR Austin Collie, WR Kassim Osgood, QB Seneca Wallace, OL Carter Bykowski, DB Marcus Cooper, TE MarQueis Gray, WR Chad Hall, WR Lavelle Hawkins, LB Joe Holland, WR Chuck Jacobs, LS Brian Jennings, LB Travis Johnson, DB Darryl Morris, OL Patrick Omameh, NT Mike Purcell, S Trenton Robinson, FB Jason Schepler, S Michael Thomas, OL Wayne Tribue, OT Kenny Wiggins.

Wow what did Jennings do to get cut twice. jk. lol
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

rofl. nice catch.
Originally posted by sdcindy:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sigh.

Marvin, I just don't feel our depth on the offensive line is very good. Looney especially doesn't do anything for me. So we differ. That's okay.
The front office should be examining the waiver for any tackle. Snyder can't play tackle except at the worst possible level. If A. Davis or Staley gets hurt then Boone will have to move over and someone will replace, making the Niners weaker at two positions.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

LS Brian Jennings, WR Austin Collie, WR Kassim Osgood, QB Seneca Wallace, OL Carter Bykowski, DB Marcus Cooper, TE MarQueis Gray, WR Chad Hall, WR Lavelle Hawkins, LB Joe Holland, WR Chuck Jacobs, LS Brian Jennings, LB Travis Johnson, DB Darryl Morris, OL Patrick Omameh, NT Mike Purcell, S Trenton Robinson, FB Jason Schepler, S Michael Thomas, OL Wayne Tribue, OT Kenny Wiggins.

He let Omameh hide in his locker.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
He let Omameh hide in his locker.

That is a good one. I can imagine Omameh hiding in the whirl pool tub with a snorkel. Can't cut me if they can't find me. Probably why it took so long and he was one of the later ones.
I really wanted Cooper to make it as well. Hope he's back on the PS.
I didn't say Gore would be cut or even that I want him to be, just that there is absolutely no guarantee he makes it 2 more years with the 49ers. Look at LaDanian ... he turned 30 got 730 yards and a 3.3 ypc average and the next year he was gone. The year before I'm sure people were saying "No way they cut LT man, NO WAY" ... and then ... they did. LT is a hall of fame back who hadn't had 2 ACL tears and he fell apart at 30, and yes he had more carries than Frank, but Franks body isn't young. Assuming Frank isn't going to regress is NOT the way to bet.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home