There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Originally posted by Scoots:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
The only RBs that are locks on the roster for next year are Hunter and Miller. Gore (health, money), James (production), and Dixon (position/production) are not a long way from not being 49ers in 2014.

Sorry but Gore will start 2014 as a 49er. They WILL NOT cut him or Trade him. It would be a slap in the face. Gore still has it. If he is even 80% of his former self, he stays. Even at 50% he is better than Hunter, and a rehabbing Lattimore.

So, if Gore has trouble staying healthy, has lost some explosion, and finishes with 700 yards and 3.9 ypc he's a lock? He's not young enough or cheap enough for them to think he will improve at 31. I know it's harsh, but I've seen it too many times to be certain it "WILL NOT" happen again.

Gore is different. He will redo his deal. And help the team out with extensions. Gore is worth a roster spot until he decides to retire. Gore is a leader on the field. I dont see a fall in production from him. He will have his usual 1000 yard season, and then everyone will whine that he is done now. When we dont know whether Lattimore will be ready. And if so, I rather have Gore mentor him. Not Hunter. Or Dixon.
Originally posted by buck:
So, if Gore has trouble staying healthy, has lost some explosion, and finishes with 700 yards and 3.9 ypc he's a lock? He's not young enough or cheap enough for them to think he will improve at 31. I know it's harsh, but I've seen it too many times to be certain it "WILL NOT" happen again.

Gore is a lock until he isn't.

If Gore .......blah, blah, fill in any condition and result stemming from that condition you want and at the end of the day it makes no difference.

Posters have been writing Gore off for at least the past three years and he just refuses to be written off.

Gore is a stallion, the team will ride him to he drops, and he will love be ridden.

Next year, who knows what will happen. But, today at this time, Gore is ours and he is here.

I agree 110% buck, except the ridden thing, sounds a little too sexual. lol
The only RBs that are locks on the roster for next year are Hunter and Miller. Gore (health, money), James (production), and Dixon (position/production) are not a long way from not being 49ers in 2014.

Sorry but Gore will start 2014 as a 49er. They WILL NOT cut him or Trade him. It would be a slap in the face. Gore still has it. If he is even 80% of his former self, he stays. Even at 50% he is better than Hunter, and a rehabbing Lattimore.

Gore is different. He will redo his deal. And help the team out with extensions. Gore is worth a roster spot until he decides to retire. Gore is a leader on the field. I dont see a fall in production from him. He will have his usual 1000 yard season, and then everyone will whine that he is done now. When we dont know whether Lattimore will be ready. And if so, I rather have Gore mentor him. Not Hunter. Or Dixon.

This!
Originally posted by buck:

Gore is a lock until he isn't.

If Gore .......blah, blah, fill in any condition and result stemming from that condition you want and at the end of the day it makes no difference.

Posters have been writing Gore off for at least the past three years and he just refuses to be written off.

Gore is a stallion, the team will ride him to he drops, and he will love be ridden.

Next year, who knows what will happen. But, today at this time, Gore is ours and he is here.

I agree 110% buck, except the ridden thing, sounds a little too sexual. lol

Can't mess with that sweet stuff. Get that outta here!
I seen Chris Harper was cut by the Seahawks. Really like that guy any room for him on our team. Don't wanna see him go the the Seahawks practice squad
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Surprised that Morris Hawkins Cooper were waived while Tukuafu, J-E, Looney, stayed. Morris and Hawkins will be claimed. Isn't the idea to waive people who won't get attention. Not sure why Celek made it. I see him getting zero time if Davis and McDonald stay healthy.

Why do we cut elite speed and some ball in the air playmaking for mediocre size up front? Don't get that. Did we cut the most reliable long snapper in the league for 500K? That's bubkes.

I wouldn't count on it. Morris wasn't claimed five weeks ago when we released him and that was when roster limits were at 90.
Originally posted by Dondadda808:
I seen Chris Harper was cut by the Seahawks. Really like that guy any room for him on our team. Don't wanna see him go the the Seahawks practice squad

He won't. That type of talent will make a 53 man or sign somewhere he has a real chance to crack the active roster at some point this season. Heck, SEA will get Harvin back at some point so if he can't make it now then when will he
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
You have a preposterous number of "ifs" in your assumptions. Now "if" all those things happened I would agree with you but I have seen nothing to suggest that Gore can't be a very reliable back in this system the next 2 to 3 seasons. He is a do it all every down RB and those type of guys don't come along very often to perform at the level Frank has and is still doing. Cmon man!
But he isnt totally wrong either. We know that RBs start to decline when they hit their 30s. RBs have a lot of contact with the hardest guys during the career, so the body starts to rehab slower in higher age b/c he just getting too old/"tired" for a faster care.
Just another serious injury and i.would start thinking about replacing him.as my starting RB.
Jennings cut

Thats the only shocker to me.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
You have a preposterous number of "ifs" in your assumptions. Now "if" all those things happened I would agree with you but I have seen nothing to suggest that Gore can't be a very reliable back in this system the next 2 to 3 seasons. He is a do it all every down RB and those type of guys don't come along very often to perform at the level Frank has and is still doing. Cmon man!
But he isnt totally wrong either. We know that RBs start to decline when they hit their 30s. RBs have a lot of contact with the hardest guys during the career, so the body starts to rehab slower in higher age b/c he just getting too old/"tired" for a faster care.
Just another serious injury and i.would start thinking about replacing him.as my starting RB.

"If" this if that then I can agree with you but I clearly haven't seen any noticeable regression in Frank last couple seasons. I think he has a couple seasons left with the support around him and what he has shown as recently as his last 6ypc game in the Super Bowl. Frank ain't exactly toting the pill as often as AP these days. He has some pretty good help from the OL, OC, QB, TEs, WRs, FB, and the other RBs. Frank will be fine!
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Surprised that Morris Hawkins Cooper were waived while Tukuafu, J-E, Looney, stayed. Morris and Hawkins will be claimed. Isn't the idea to waive people who won't get attention. Not sure why Celek made it. I see him getting zero time if Davis and McDonald stay healthy.

Why do we cut elite speed and some ball in the air playmaking for mediocre size up front? Don't get that. Did we cut the most reliable long snapper in the league for 500K? That's bubkes.
Lol..elite speed and ball in the air playmaking??? Is this the same Hawkins that was without a team at the start of training camp, did a tryout and then got signed when the 49ers receiver corps all got injured at the same time? The same Hawkins that flopped and got let go by the Titans? I know he had the long kickoff return BUT the 49ers appear to have plenty of potential kickoff returners even with James hurt. And, for as good as his play was in San Diego, it was against the Chargers 2nd and 3rd stringers and if he has the same bobble and gets hit like he did 10 times, something bad for the 49ers probably happens the other 9 times. And, that doesn't even bring into consideration the personal foul penalties. He didn't make it because at best he would have been the 6th receiver and would not have been active for games. They can get that from Jacobs after he clears waivers and is put on the practice squad.

I thought Jennings would be kept and it does not make sense to only save $500K, though I think its clear the 49ers are trying to create as much cap space as they can this year so they can roll it into next year for extra cap space with Kaep, Aldon, etc. coming up for renegotiation. It does make sense, though, if they believe McDermott can be their long snapper for years to come (i.e. the next Brian Jennings). I am waiting for the board to explode though if there is a bad snap on an end of the game FG that costs the 49ers a win...
[ Edited by kem99 on Aug 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM ]
Agreed about Gore. He is already signed for this year and next. However, he will restructure for next year if we want him to. He wants to stay with us and finish his career here. He also wants to win and he knows to do that we have to extend Kap, Aldon, etc. He has plenty of money; it's just about winning for him at this point. As long as he keeps getting 1000 or more he should be a part of the team. Maybe he starts splitting the carries more... maybe 50/50 with the other 2 (3 with lattimore) guys. Until he has really shown he has lost it I wouldn't cut him as long as he is cheap enough. If it were up to some of you he would have been gone 2-3 years ago and we'd likely have less production with Hunter and Hunter/James than Gore got. So I expect him to play this year, then restructure for 2014 and maybe add on a year or possibly 2 at a cheap price. I understand we are moving on with a youth movement and saving money for the future but cutting Gore not the answer. Restructuring Gore after this year is. Side note on the unlikely chance if we would cut him after this year he'd save 6.45 million. Also, the way we structured it we could have cut him this year with 0 dead money and saved 6.45 mil. Still like I said much better to have him restructure after this year than it is to cut him.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM ]
Originally posted by kem99:
Lol..elite speed and ball in the air playmaking???

Actually, I was talking about Morris. He had some passes defensed the last two games. Hawkins had 3 strong grabs + the 104 yard return. I don't think he taunted anyone after the last touchdown. My guess is both these guys land on the PS, if they are not claimed.
Actually, I was talking about Morris. He had some passes defensed the last two games. Hawkins had 3 strong grabs + the 104 yard return. I don't think he taunted anyone after the last touchdown. My guess is both these guys land on the PS, if they are not claimed.

Hawkins, an NFL veteran is going to end up on the practice squad? Not sure if serious.
Can anyone post a list of players that got cut? I've been busy all day :-/