LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by redrathman:
That's not how football works.

Someone is always hurt.

Yeah, I know just saying if I had to pick now. Most likely someone else will get hurt making it easier. For all we know Carradine and Dial won't be back. Also, we will have to see how everyone is playing at the time we need to make these decisions. Can't just pick them now. But I believe someone asked what you would do now.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
This is confusing but what I would do... if Marecic is signed I cut Ventrone. Then when Dobbs come back I cut Tukuafu. Then when Manningham comes back I cut Stupar. Then if Dial or Carradine come back I cut Jerod-Eddie. Leaves Dobbs and Carradine/Dial. Then if Crabtree comes back I don't know who the f**k to cut. Probably have to be a WR can't keep 7. I'd give Baldwin a chance... I'd go with Williams, Manningham or Moore whoever is doing the worst. Basically we just wiped out half our 53 man roster and replaced with injured guys. Seriously though, think of how hard these cuts would have had to been if Dial, Carradine, Culliver, Crabtree, Manningham were all healthy.

Dude, I agree 110%. If Cully was healthy, Brock would of been cut most likely.

I think Seely lobbies for Ventrone to stay. If Marecic is signed it better be a cut from Dixon. We dont need 3 FBs and 6 RBs total.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by carl:
Sadly, I think when the 49ers drafted Marcus Lattimore, that was a sign that Frank's days are numbered. He's what, 30? He's certainly not "fast" by NFL standards. Hard to see the 49ers keeping Gore if Lattimore lives up to the hype.

Gore gets a grand father clause which explicitly states if you are Frank Gore you play with the 9ers until you retire.

This man has been exceptional.

If I ever have to hire a one-armed paper hanger, I want him to be either Frank Gore or Patrick Willis.

If I need a one-legged chit kicker, I will ask Frank Gore to do the kicking. Gore is what Gore is and that is really mucking good.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
This is confusing but what I would do... if Marecic is signed I cut Ventrone. Then when Dobbs come back I cut Tukuafu. Then when Manningham comes back I cut Stupar. Then if Dial or Carradine come back I cut Jerod-Eddie. Leaves Dobbs and Carradine/Dial. Then if Crabtree comes back I don't know who the f**k to cut. Probably have to be a WR can't keep 7. I'd give Baldwin a chance... I'd go with Williams, Manningham or Moore whoever is doing the worst. Basically we just wiped out half our 53 man roster and replaced with injured guys. Seriously though, think of how hard these cuts would have had to been if Dial, Carradine, Culliver, Crabtree, Manningham were all healthy.

Dude, I agree 110%. If Cully was healthy, Brock would of been cut most likely.

I think Seely lobbies for Ventrone to stay. If Marecic is signed it better be a cut from Dixon. We dont need 3 FBs and 6 RBs total.

As a fan, I don't want Dixon cut for Marecic
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
As a fan, I don't want Dixon cut for Marecic

I don't think Dixon gets cut, especially with LMJ out for a couple of weeks. He looks to have improved running the ball and is proven to be valuable on special teams
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by carl:
Sadly, I think when the 49ers drafted Marcus Lattimore, that was a sign that Frank's days are numbered. He's what, 30? He's certainly not "fast" by NFL standards. Hard to see the 49ers keeping Gore if Lattimore lives up to the hype.

Gore gets a grand father clause which explicitly states if you are Frank Gore you play with the 9ers until you retire.

This man has been exceptional.

If I ever have to hire a one-armed paper hanger, I want him to be either Frank Gore or Patrick Willis.

If I need a one-legged chit kicker, I will ask Frank Gore to do the kicking. Gore is what Gore is and that is really mucking good.

Gore will restructure his deal next year and add on a few more years, he is a 49er at heart, no way we go and cut him. He opens up 2014 in Levi's Stadium as Starting RB.
If Culliver were healthy I think Brock sticks and Cox loses out ... or maybe one of the fringe players at another position gets the axe.

I don't expect Tank or Dial back at all this year ... it's unlikely.

If Manningham gets healthy and the current 5 are healthy and performing I don't know that he gets activated.

Crabtree is a tougher one ... he's less likely to get healthy for this season, but if he is healthy then someone has to go.

Wright comes in if he can get healthy and if he's a clear upgrade over one of the existing players.

All of that is assuming perfect health ... an injury or two changes everything.
The only RBs that are locks on the roster for next year are Hunter and Miller. Gore (health, money), James (production), and Dixon (position/production) are not a long way from not being 49ers in 2014.
Originally posted by Scoots:
The only RBs that are locks on the roster for next year are Hunter and Miller. Gore (health, money), James (production), and Dixon (position/production) are not a long way from not being 49ers in 2014.

Sorry but Gore will start 2014 as a 49er. They WILL NOT cut him or Trade him. It would be a slap in the face. Gore still has it. If he is even 80% of his former self, he stays. Even at 50% he is better than Hunter, and a rehabbing Lattimore.
  • bret
  • Veteran
A few thoughts:

1) Stupar. Pretty much everyone was predicting he was gone due to numbers, but then they were all pretty much predicting he'd be the first guy claimed. Maybe the Niners saw that too and are holding him for "negotiations". The don't need 10 linebackers. Just a thought.

2) What's the deal with Bubba Ventrone. I'd never heard about Andy Lee's "Personal Protector" until this training camp. It seems like Goldson did it last year and nobody commented. It seems like Reid is going to replace Goldson and maybe even be an improvement. Did anybody think the biggest thing we'd miss from Goldson would be his "Personal Protector" role?!!

3) They're dumping Brian Jennings at least in part due to his $940k "vested veteran" salary? But they're keeping Bubba Ventrone and his $880k "vested veteran" salary?!!

4) Is Owen Marecic a "Personal Protector" That's the only reason I could see him being brought on board right now. Thoughts?

5) If he doesn't get claimed does Hawkins come back after week one (getting rid of the salary guarantee)? If Dobbs replaces Tukuafu or Jerrod-Eddy, Marecic replaces Ventrone, and Stupar gets traded, there would still be a roster spot open. Any other candidates?

Sorry but Gore will start 2014 as a 49er. They WILL NOT cut him or Trade him. It would be a slap in the face. Gore still has it. If he is even 80% of his former self, he stays. Even at 50% he is better than Hunter, and a rehabbing Lattimore.

So, if Gore has trouble staying healthy, has lost some explosion, and finishes with 700 yards and 3.9 ypc he's a lock? He's not young enough or cheap enough for them to think he will improve at 31. I know it's harsh, but I've seen it too many times to be certain it "WILL NOT" happen again.
Surprised that Morris Hawkins Cooper were waived while Tukuafu, J-E, Looney, stayed. Morris and Hawkins will be claimed. Isn't the idea to waive people who won't get attention. Not sure why Celek made it. I see him getting zero time if Davis and McDonald stay healthy.

Why do we cut elite speed and some ball in the air playmaking for mediocre size up front? Don't get that. Did we cut the most reliable long snapper in the league for 500K? That's bubkes.

So, if Gore has trouble staying healthy, has lost some explosion, and finishes with 700 yards and 3.9 ypc he's a lock? He's not young enough or cheap enough for them to think he will improve at 31. I know it's harsh, but I've seen it too many times to be certain it "WILL NOT" happen again.

You have a preposterous number of "ifs" in your assumptions. Now "if" all those things happened I would agree with you but I have seen nothing to suggest that Gore can't be a very reliable back in this system the next 2 to 3 seasons. He is a do it all every down RB and those type of guys don't come along very often to perform at the level Frank has and is still doing. Cmon man!
  • buck
  • Veteran

Gore is a lock until he isn't.

If Gore .......blah, blah, fill in any condition and result stemming from that condition you want and at the end of the day it makes no difference.

Posters have been writing Gore off for at least the past three years and he just refuses to be written off.

Gore is a stallion, the team will ride him to he drops, and he will love be ridden.

Next year, who knows what will happen. But, today at this time, Gore is ours and he is here.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Surprised that Morris Hawkins Cooper were waived while Tukuafu, J-E, Looney, stayed. Morris and Hawkins will be claimed. Isn't the idea to waive people who won't get attention. Not sure why Celek made it. I see him getting zero time if Davis and McDonald stay healthy.

Why do we cut elite speed and some ball in the air playmaking for mediocre size up front? Don't get that. Did we cut the most reliable long snapper in the league for 500K? That's bubkes.

It sucks but we win in the trenches and to our staff having solid depth there was very important
Share 49ersWebzone