There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by susweel:
meh the wr and db position is weak

there's nothing wrong with our secondary

I agree. Our secondary looks solid. I think the WR core is better than advertised too. Moore and Patton are going to shock the league.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, so Tony Jerod-Eddie, Will Tukuafu, Nathan Stupar and Raymond Ventrone made the team?

Not so fast. One of them will be cut when the 49ers sign Marecic. My guess is Stupar.

agreed

Ventrone

A gentlemens agreement...haaazaaaa
From Branch Twitter:
Jim Harbaugh on releasing Brian Jennings: "On a personal level, that's about as tough as it gets."
Special-teamer Bubba Ventrone remains on roster. He played for ST coach Brad Seely in NE and Cleveland.

Man must have been hard for the locker room these past few days. First Haralson, now Jennings. Not to mention Alex a few months back. Those are some of our longest tenured guys. Jennings 2000, Smith 2005, Haralson 2006. Leaves Andy Lee 2004 as longest active 49er. Gore in 2005 might be 2nd now?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM ]
I agree, the 49ers are loaded with talent.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
From Branch Twitter:
Jim Harbaugh on releasing Brian Jennings: "On a personal level, that's about as tough as it gets."
Special-teamer Bubba Ventrone remains on roster. He played for ST coach Brad Seely in NE and Cleveland.

Man must have been hard for the locker room these past few days. First Haralson, now Jennings. Not to mention Alex a few months back. Those are some of our longest tenured guys. Jennings 2000, Smith 2005, Haralson 2006. Leaves Andy Lee 2004 as longest active 49er. Gore in 2005 might be 2nd now?

Gonna start bawling once Gore and Lee leaves
So Stupar and Ventrone are players that are strictly STs players that will never see the field on a significant down this season. Therefore, signing Marecic is a good gamble for Harbaugh because he only has to play STs for now and doesn't need a roster position. His versatility gives us the ability to get creative with who does and doesn't dress for the games. The interesting thing is we have 5 players that could join the team during the regular season which means 6 of these players could be gone and we will see then how much STs really matters to this team an how much pending free agency next year will factor into who we keep.

Players returning

Dobbs - I think Tukuafu is a lock because of his STs and offensive versatility. So TJE will have to totally out play him on defense to stay on the team.

Manningham - He is a lock to return to the team. He will either push out whoever is left after Stupar and Ventrone get cut to make way for Marecic.

Wright - Because cox and Brock play ST and he doesn't they will have to cut another position to fit him in if he can help our team. He would have to show the coaches that he is at the very least our 4th best corner to make the team.

Car radiance and dial - IMHO, the team should redshirt these guys. Unless they can prove that they are significantly better that the guys who have been practicing and know the defense better then they do and have been game tested which is incredibly hard 2 do in 3 practices.

Crabtree - He is a lock to come back on the roster so if noone else gets injured between now and then, than another STs guy will have to go or they will have to cut Baldwin or the lowest WR on the depth chart at that time.

Either way the team looks stacked. They probably fill the PS with 4 OL, Jacobs, Gray a CB and a LB. maybe TJE if no one picks him up.
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, so Tony Jerod-Eddie, Will Tukuafu, Nathan Stupar and Raymond Ventrone made the team?

Not so fast. One of them will be cut when the 49ers sign Marecic. My guess is Stupar.

agreed

Agreed. Otherwise, we're going with 5 ILBs counting Stupar? Doesn't make sense...and, would rather have Moody than Stupar (though Stupar really looked like he gave it his all every play this preseason...only a so-so ILB, IMO).
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Me too. Lee is a punter so maybe he can stick around until he's 40. Gore looks like he has some good years left in the tank. He really is an amazing athlete when you think about all the punishment he took over the years and tearing up both knees in college. A true warrior.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by susweel:
meh the wr and db position is weak

there's nothing wrong with our secondary

I agree. Our secondary looks solid. I think the WR core is better than advertised too. Moore and Patton are going to shock the league.

WR core is probably the best its been for as long as I can remember. All receivers can contribute, couldn't say the same in the past 10 years.

You shut up that's never going to happen NEVER!!! (In Will Ferrell's voice) LOL

I remember bawling when BY got carried off the field. Guy still had it too.

And for those talking about the WR and DBs.... I'm like them a heck of a lot more than I did a few weeks ago. Both groups really stepped up. We might not have super stars but we are deep, 1-5 at both spots can contribute and play well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM ]
  • carl
  • Veteran
From Branch Twitter:

Sadly, I think when the 49ers drafted Marcus Lattimore, that was a sign that Frank's days are numbered. He's what, 30? He's certainly not "fast" by NFL standards. Hard to see the 49ers keeping Gore if Lattimore lives up to the hype.
  • carl
  • Veteran

You shut up that's never going to happen NEVER!!! (In Will Ferrell's voice) LOL

I remember bawling when BY got carried off the field. Guy still had it too.

And for those talking about the WR and DBs.... I'm like them a heck of a lot more than I did a few weeks ago. Both groups really stepped up. We might not have super stars but we are deep, 1-5 at both spots can contribute and play well.

Yeah, a month ago we were all worried about WR depth. I've been very impressed by what I've seen of them in preseason.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
we got 17 linebackers and zero offensive tackle backups who are legit.
Originally posted by carl:
Sadly, I think when the 49ers drafted Marcus Lattimore, that was a sign that Frank's days are numbered. He's what, 30? He's certainly not "fast" by NFL standards. Hard to see the 49ers keeping Gore if Lattimore lives up to the hype.

I expect Gore to play this year and in 2014 to finish up his contract. He will probably restructure after this year to help extend the 2015 guys. He's a free agent after the 2014 season but so is Hunter so we might have to move on unless Gore gives us a team friendly deal. I think he still might be able to play in 2015 just a matter if he's willing to play for really cheap. So if that didn't make sense think he plays for us this year and next. Might have to restructure to stay with us for next season. Then 2015 he should be able to still play just a matter of how cheap he is willing to play for. We can't pay him much trying to extend our future cornerstones.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by xcfan:
we got 17 linebackers and zero offensive tackle backups who are legit.

Id expect boone to slide outside if anything happened to either OT. Also expect us to put one or 2 OT on practice squad
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home