There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

I think that gets overrated some what as the teams in the division know each other well anyways. They probably know a lot of it from past players and they break down game film a lot so they know some plays when they see the formations, etc. Recent players they signed who were with us: Brett Swain, Braylon Edwards, Kyle Nelson, Mike Person, Chris Maragos, Philip Adams. Carry over from Stanford Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin. Anyone I missed?
I thought Tolzien was eligible for the practice squad.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think that gets overrated some what as the teams in the division know each other well anyways. They probably know a lot of it from past players and they break down game film a lot so they know some plays when they see the formations, etc. Recent players they signed who were with us: Brett Swain, Braylon Edwards, Kyle Nelson, Mike Person, Chris Maragos, Philip Adams. Carry over from Stanford Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin. Anyone I missed?

Douche Robinson
Originally posted by ncninerfan:
I thought Tolzien was eligible for the practice squad.

They said he was but you have to be cut and clear waivers before being able to sign the player on our PS. If no team puts in a claim on the player we have the right to sign him to our PS.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Douche Robinson

Well yeah but I meant recently. If you go back that far they took Ulbrich for ST assistant coach and Norton for LBs.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Douche Robinson

Well yeah but I meant recently. If you go back that far they took Ulbrich for ST coach I believe and Norton for LBs.

I blame directly for the 0-7 start in 2010 and his knee to Delanie's jaw in 2011 cost us the NFCCG and ultimately Lombardi #6
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I don't really think that this is as much of an issue as some fans make it out to be. Players from other teams can sometimes help in identifying certain tendencies or specific strengths/weaknesses of some players. Craig Dahl helped the Niners in telling them that the Rams were able to determine what type of play the Niners were going to run based on their formation. But giving information about the playbook is not really all that helpful. There are what some 2000 plays in the playbook, which is constantly evolving. Many plays can be run from the same formations. So even if a player went to another team and told them everything they know about the playbook, that still won't necessarily tell them everything about the 49ers offense. The other team still has try to decipher plays from formations and call the right defensive play to defend a particular offensive play. It's not really that simple.

Yeah, good points here...plus, he'll probably just get picked up by the Raiders, Jets or Bills since they're in good waiver-wire priority positions. No problem there, and his knowledge from being in the Niners' system will probably only help those offenses...:-)
No real suprises at all. These were all easy decisions. Tolzien has not played well enough to get snatched up. We will stow him on the P-Squad. 80% chance. Everyone else was nowhere near the roster.
Yes tomorrow is deadline but I read that the niners will make their cuts today. It gives the cut guys a chance to catch on elsewhere.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,251
Forget Tolzien lets get Ricky Stanzi!!!
So where does Tolzien rank in the list of All-Time Webzone Offseason Mancrushes? Up there with Nate Davis? Would he start or would he be the backup QB in the Webzone Mancrush 53, with such luminaries as Nate, Kory Sheets, Marcus Maxwell and Lockette?

Originally posted by paulk205:
So where does Tolzien rank in the list of All-Time Webzone Offseason Mancrushes? Up there with Nate Davis? Would he start or would he be the backup QB in the Webzone Mancrush 53, with such luminaries as Nate, Kory Sheets, Marcus Maxwell and Lockette?


he is above any rank

  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,251
Originally posted by paulk205:
So where does Tolzien rank in the list of All-Time Webzone Offseason Mancrushes? Up there with Nate Davis? Would he start or would he be the backup QB in the Webzone Mancrush 53, with such luminaries as Nate, Kory Sheets, Marcus Maxwell and Lockette?


I actually observed more people disliking him than being a fan of him.
Originally posted by VA49er:
No real suprises at all. These were all easy decisions. Tolzien has not played well enough to get snatched up. We will stow him on the P-Squad. 80% chance. Everyone else was nowhere near the roster.

this ^^^
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The cuts this year are really going to reflect just how well Baalke-Harbaugh have drafted over the past 2-3 seasons. Yeah, I know, everyone is going to point to AJ as a bust. And he clearly was. But the Baalke-Harbaugh tandem has swung and connected on far more than they have missed.

You'll notice this when you see the linebacker cuts. We are REALLY deep at both linebacking positions. It will show when the final cuts are made.

Bill Walsh ALWAYS made surprising cuts. Year, after year, after year, he ALWAYS cut a known player or two. He had too. He drafted too well, and had to keep the team fresh.


I remember Steve Young saying that Bill Walsh would always cut a player one or two years before they are truly unable to play at the same level. He would meet with them and tell them "you may not think that you're done, but you're done."

Del Rodgers, a special teams ace on Walsh teams of the eighties and now a sportscaster at KCRA TV in Sacramento, had some harsh words for Austin Collie. He knew Collie was the local kid. He knew Collie wanted to play, But he essentially told his audience during the pre-game show last night that Collie was "done" and should do himself and his family a favor and "retire."

Del is rarely that outspoken. But he played this game. He played for Walsh. He was a special teams stud for six seasons. If anyone would know, Del would.

I was really surprised by his comments.