There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Anyone worried about Tolzien being picked up by a division rival where they'll try to obtain from him knowledge about our playbook? He's been in our system for quite awhile and obviously knows a lot...I wonder if there's some unwritten players' etiquette in this situation where he won't divulge anything that's not public knowledge? Or, is it "game on" for any team that picks him up that wants to know more about the 49ers system/scheme?

I don't understand how there isn't some kind of non-disclosure agreement where players aren't allowed to discuss another team's playbook once they get signed to another team. I suppose it would be difficult to enforce, but there should be some protection in place like any business that deals with concepts.
Originally posted by jrg:
can everyone STFU about how great this tolzien dude is now?

Only if you say please...

Originally posted by Psinex:
Anyone worried about Tolzien being picked up by a division rival where they'll try to obtain from him knowledge about our playbook? He's been in our system for quite awhile and obviously knows a lot...I wonder if there's some unwritten players' etiquette in this situation where he won't divulge anything that's not public knowledge? Or, is it "game on" for any team that picks him up that wants to know more about the 49ers system/scheme?

I don't understand how there isn't some kind of non-disclosure agreement where players aren't allowed to discuss another team's playbook once they get signed to another team. I suppose it would be difficult to enforce, but there should be some protection in place like any business that deals with concepts.

how do you not talk about it lol? thats impossible, and how do you prove that you did or did not?

+1

I don't think anyone was serious about it.

Read an article the other day about how most teams gameplans are so different on a week-to-week basis that this isn't as big of an issue as you would think. I am sure there are some things that need to be changed (i.e. a baseball team changing signs) but as far as plays and formations most teams know what we run from watching film and different things are implemented on a week to week basis.

Remember when we signed Dahl and found out that we were tipping run/pass vs the rams last year? Some information can be taken with you from one team to the next but it happens to every team all the time, and teams learn to cope with it and move forward.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
5 players cut...

Scott Tolzien....
Punter Colton Schmidt, linebacker Joe Holland, guard Al Netter and running back D.J. Harper also were released.Read more here:

The 49ers still must trim 10 players from their 90 man roster before Tuesday at 1 p.m. All of the players let go today, including Tolzien, are eligible for the practice squad.Read more here:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/08/qb-tolzien-among-five-players-waived-by-49ers.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by DJD on Aug 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by mod:

how do you not talk about it lol? thats impossible, and how do you prove that you did or did not?

I dont think Tolz know much more than anyone else. Defenses know our playbook, its been on film for 2 years. There might be new plays we run but Tolz never got those reps. Plus if Tolz was smart he would withhold that info till he is on a 53 man roster so he can get his whole salary and not make camp fodder minimums.
The Lords of SF are outta here.

Bye bye Lord Tolzein and Lord Zito
Originally posted by btthepunk:

you may be right, but nothing here surprises me anymore
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Tons of people on here seriously thought Tolzien was better then Kaep.

I don't really think that this is as much of an issue as some fans make it out to be. Players from other teams can sometimes help in identifying certain tendencies or specific strengths/weaknesses of some players. Craig Dahl helped the Niners in telling them that the Rams were able to determine what type of play the Niners were going to run based on their formation. But giving information about the playbook is not really all that helpful. There are what some 2000 plays in the playbook, which is constantly evolving. Many plays can be run from the same formations. So even if a player went to another team and told them everything they know about the playbook, that still won't necessarily tell them everything about the 49ers offense. The other team still has try to decipher plays from formations and call the right defensive play to defend a particular offensive play. It's not really that simple.
Originally posted by DJD:
5 players cut...

Scott Tolzien....
Punter Colton Schmidt, linebacker Joe Holland, guard Al Netter and running back D.J. Harper also were released.Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/08/qb-tolzien-among-five-players-waived-by-49ers.html#storylink=cpy

Tolzien will get a backup job somewhere
Originally posted by Eli_23:
The Lords of SF are outta here.

Bye bye Lord Tolzein and Lord Zito

Prepare for the earthquake and tsunami
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Tolzien will get a backup job somewhere

In the arena lg