There are 191 users in the forums

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As for James hopefully we are holding back with him because it's pre-season. Once the regular season starts I'd like to start some shovel passes, pitches, get him lined up outside, etc. Just get the ball in his hands in space. He runs between the tackles decent for a small guy and he has made some nice runs out of nothing but I'd prefer to use him for the other stuff. Of course have to keep it mixed up some what. If we never run him up the middle teams wont defend against it and will shut down the outside. If we use all 3 guys and use them the right way should be a great three headed attack that could rival the Giants one years back.
Not really much to discuss...they put injured players in the appropriate categories. The painful cuts will come after Thursday night's game...
Originally posted by mayo49:
Here you go, phatbutskinny.

Receivers Michael Crabtree (torn Achilles tendon) and Mario Manningham (torn ACL) landed on the reserve/physically unable to perform (PUP) list. Carradine, Lattimore and Dial are on the reserve/non-football injury (NFI) list because they did not suffer their injuries while in the NFL. Cornerback Eric Wright and tackle Luke Marquardt also went on the NFI list. Players on the reserve/PUP and reserve/NFI lists do not count against roster limits.
All had counted against the 90-man limit before Tuesday because they were on the active/PUP and active/NFI lists, meaning they could have returned immediately upon passing a physical examination.

Now, they cannot return until later in the season. Players on reserve/PUP and reserve/NFI lists become eligible to resume practicing after the conclusion of the sixth regular-season weekend (Oct. 15) through the 11th regular-season weekend (Nov. 19). Once the players resume practicing, teams have 21 calendar days to move the players onto their active rosters.
The 49ers also moved cornerback Chris Culliver onto their injured reserve list, ending his season. They designated as waived/injured defensive end Lawrence Okoye and defensive tackle Lamar Divens. Those players will land on the injured reserve list upon clearing waivers. They also are eligible for injury settlements in which the team would pay a negotiated sum in exchange for the player becoming free to sign with another team.
Players reaching injury settlements cannot re-sign with their previous teams until 10 weeks into the regular season. The 49ers' roster stands at 74 players. The team will have to reduce to 53 by Saturday.

Thanks for this. I was wondering the difference between the PUP and NFI lists. What exactly is Wright's injury?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Thanks for this. I was wondering the difference between the PUP and NFI lists. What exactly is Wright's injury?

He fell and he couldn't get up?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
AB, thanks for the link, and a really neat site.

As for the Sproles issue, we got too many really good RBs to have LMJ work into that position, even tho he can run between tackles. But why? His worth to me is just getting a shovel pass , lateral or pass in the backfield, and then see if the D can tackle him. I don' think so, but so far, haven't seen that many plays where he did just that . If he isn't used as Sproles, or say Reggie Bush originally, then I don't see why to keep him. So either they change the way he is used or there is no point to keeping him. He isn't Gore, nor Hunter, and he isn't Dixon on the goal line. He is and should be used like sproles was...after that, I don't see it. Maybe Mangini will suggest he be used in that manner, but if not, we are just wasting his talent.

no problem.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
ot david mims available. we need an ot with some talent and reps in the bank.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Nice, really like Divens and Okoye clearly has some developmental upside.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I hear you pas!

G, I have no doubt they are going to keep LMJ and see how it all pans out. But being objective, the dude fumbles a lot, is a decent runner at best (right now), looks like he'll be a liabiity as a returner (constantly dive-catching) and has no real burst (quickness or top-end speed) and I'm not thrilled with his vision. He certainly doesn't have the lateral speed to get to the edge so far (constantly tackled for loss - much is the terrible blocking too). Right now, Hampton clearly seems like the better back you'd want in there as a workhorse if Gore ever went down. That said, LMJ does appear to be getting better at running between the tackles and so far, have we passed to him once as an outlet or designed dump-n-run play?

I guess you could say the same for Williams who blew out his knee on a crack-back block on a running play. That said, I had to consider him b/c with Baldwin, Boldin, Patton, Moore and Manningham back after week 6, how valuable is Williams right now? We also have to consider we'll be running possibly 4 TE's if Gray makes the team. We ran a 5-receiver look in one game and only ONE player was a WR. I still think we keep him but he's at least in the short and long-term discussion.

Dude, come on.

LMJ averaged 4.6 ypc in the regular season last year and 5.9 ypc in the postseason. Did you really suggest that Jewel Hampton is a better runner than he is?

LMJ has struggled in the preseason running behind our 2nd and 3rd team OL vs. 1st and 2nd team DLs. Don't sweat it. We've seen what he can do in real games.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
I hear you pas!

G, I have no doubt they are going to keep LMJ and see how it all pans out. But being objective, the dude fumbles a lot, is a decent runner at best (right now), looks like he'll be a liabiity as a returner (constantly dive-catching) and has no real burst (quickness or top-end speed) and I'm not thrilled with his vision. He certainly doesn't have the lateral speed to get to the edge so far (constantly tackled for loss - much is the terrible blocking too). Right now, Hampton clearly seems like the better back you'd want in there as a workhorse if Gore ever went down. That said, LMJ does appear to be getting better at running between the tackles and so far, have we passed to him once as an outlet or designed dump-n-run play?

I guess you could say the same for Williams who blew out his knee on a crack-back block on a running play. That said, I had to consider him b/c with Baldwin, Boldin, Patton, Moore and Manningham back after week 6, how valuable is Williams right now? We also have to consider we'll be running possibly 4 TE's if Gray makes the team. We ran a 5-receiver look in one game and only ONE player was a WR. I still think we keep him but he's at least in the short and long-term discussion.

Dude, come on.

LMJ averaged 4.6 ypc in the regular season last year and 5.9 ypc in the postseason. Did you really suggest that Jewel Hampton is a better runner than he is?

LMJ has struggled in the preseason running behind our 2nd and 3rd team OL vs. 1st and 2nd team DLs. Don't sweat it. We've seen what he can do in real games.

No offense but if Gore goes down, I'd feel much better with Hampton carrying the full load. Yes, LMJ will do fine out of the Q-formation but for the ground and pound wear, I'd go with Hampton. No question.

Whitner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut Whitner!!!!!!! Trust me bro!!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Whitner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut Whitner!!!!!!! Trust me bro!!

And replace him with whom?
No offense but if Gore goes down, I'd feel much better with Hampton carrying the full load. Yes, LMJ will do fine out of the Q-formation but for the ground and pound wear, I'd go with Hampton. No question.

I like Hampton more then most but I think you are basing this on very little on field evidence. His body type and running style are closer to gore but LMJ is a much better player at this point.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am looking at these
Underdogs in Bold.

Daniels vs. Wallace

I like Daniels

Gray vs. Celek

I like Gray.

Goodwin vs. Kilgore

I like Kilgore, both make the squad

Jennings vs. McDermott

just a contrarian hunch--McDermott

Hampton vs. the world

Sadly, the world wins--Hampton gets picked up by another team.

wide receiver free for all/ last man standing
Collie vs. Hall vs. Hawkins vs. Osgood vs. Jacobs

I am going with the little person--Hall
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I wonder if there's going to be any cuts today.
Share 49ersWebzone