LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My full comprehensive players-to-watch analysis:

Player helped himself towards the 53; this is mostly for bubble players. ( ) indicates these players most likely are locks but we are still following them:

Offense:
QB: Colt McCoy, BJ Daniels, Scott Tolzien, Seneca Wallace - McCoy, terrible decision on the INT (Patton was blanket-covered anyhow). Showed good mobility. Terrible out-pass to Hall (10 feet over his head). Then 91-yard 9 play TD drive. Love after the 2nd Personal Foul call on Hawkins, BJ Daniels slaps him on the head with a "WTF are you doing, you idiot!" move. Another great run by BJ.
RB: Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper, (Anthony Dixon) - DJ had an OK game but won't make this team. That said, Hampton might. He is an absolute grinder in the Gore-mold and he even showed nice speed off tackle for a big run. Dixon looks much quicker and smoother this year and showed nice catches out of the backfield. As a FB, had a nice seal block at the goal line. Props to him who I originally didn't think he had much of a chance to make the team.
FB: Jason Scheplar, (Anthony Dixon) - I've said all along that we need a true FB behind Miller should he ever go down and he looks and plays the part. JS had several nice lead blocks on the goal line for the TD. He showed very good hands as well esp. on the behind pass by Wallace.
X: Chuck Jacobs, Chad Hall, Lavelle Hawkins, (Jon Baldwin), (Quinton Patton) – Nice slide run by Hall (lined up with the #1's BTW:). Patton had a nice run off a jam at the LOS underneath (low throw) and great 13 yard reception (shifty route). Nice 3rd down sideline catch by Hawkins. Fantastic catch by Baldwin (good hand move and concentration). Nothing else to report here.
Y (SLOT): Chad Hall, Austin Collie, (Jon Baldwin), (Quinton Patton) – Collie won't make this team IMHO. Hall was in with the first team and again, never dropped a pass (esp. on 3rd downs) and was open. Patton had a very nice 3rd and 10 yard catch to move the chains and great TD from this spot.
Z: Kassim Osgood, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie, Chad Hall, (Jon Baldwin), (Quinton Patton) – Nice seal block by Patton. Baldwin with a great low-behind catch on 3rd down and he had very nice outside blocking where he continued to sustain it and lead to more yards. Osgood never played.
TE: Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray – Big dropped pass by Celek but had fantastic seal blocks all game long esp. the TD run. Gray didn't play much but also showed good blocking.
LOT: Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski – Wiggins had a nice drive-out block but also had two holding penalties and lead to Bykowski coming in the rest of the game who was fair.
LG: Al Netter, (Joe Looney) – Joe was beaten on the inside on pass protection and hurt Williams knee on questionable low block. He did get better as the game went on but overall, not a good game. Netter played OK as well.
C: Joe Looney, (Daniel Kilgore) – Looney didn't play C today and Kilgore was with the second team and held the POC well most the game.
RG: Wayne Tribune, (Adam Synder) – Both also played OK.
ROT: Patrick Omameh – Had a good drive block inside but whiffed in a pass block (theme for most of the second team, especially).

Defense:
RDE: (Demarcus Dobbs), Lawrence Okoye, Tony Jerod-Eddie – Dobbs was with the starting unit and played well through two blockers; I noticed he had a brace on his knee but he hustled hard. TFE is a "meh." But Okoye (came in at the 4:05 mark of 4Q) actually looked pretty good! Much better ball awareness and had a nice rush today. One pass rush lead to a rushed INC pass. He got his 1st tackle on another. He was blocked out twice and on the last one (double team) he hurt his knee. So expect us to keep him by putting him on the PUP.
NT: Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell, (Glenn Dorsey) – GD had a very nice game and also played with the starters. He had a fantastic inside rush on one play in particular. I'm bummed b/c I was looking forward to Divens showing up; he had 18 snaps, 5th most of the DL but nothing stood out to me (didn't think he even played). MP is also a "meh."
LDE: Will Tukuafu – This dude plays so hard, hustles so much but has some of the worst ball-awareness I've seen. He is active and disruptive but lacks discipline. He played one snap at NT (bad idea). He leave big lanes open.
SAM: (Corey Lemonier), (Dan Skuta) - These two are locks. We're done here!
MIKE: (Michael Wilhoite), (Nick Moody) - These two are locks. We're done here!TED: Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson – I didn't see Stupar today either but Johnson did OK and got a nice cross-dog blitz off Moody.
WILL: (Parys Haralson), Cameron Johnson - Haralson played a lot with the second/third teams today and now I hear we are actively trying to trade him. I originally did not have him making the team as I though Cam could beat him out. It turned out it may have been Lemonier and Skuta instead. Cam didn't have a lot of snaps today but played OK (disciplined at least).
LCB: Tramaine Brock - Had a P.I. but seemed to play decent esp. in run support.
SLOT: Darryl Morris, (Perrish Cox) - Morris had a great knockdown pass in the EZ. Cox had the worst day of any defender yet. He had a P.I. in the EZ for not getting his head turned around. Then our pet-peeve; he is out-jumped/muscled by a taller, more physical WR for a TD plus had a 15-yard face-mask penalty. He also had two other passes caught on him.
NICKLE: Tramaine Brock, (Perrish Cox) - PS: Nnamdi has the #3 locked down IMHO.
FS: Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, (C.J. Spillman) – CJ rushed the QB at the goal line and got pwned leaving his man wide open for an easy TD. He made up for it on the Nnamdi-tip INT. LOL @ Michael Thomas' deflection-reception-that-should-have-been-an-interception! Robinson had a big day on ST.
SS: Raymond Ventrone, (Craig Dahl) – Ventrone played some today but I didn't have any notes on him.
RCB: Marcus Cooper – This kid (and Morris) are finds. I absolutely love his size and discipline and positioning. He is like a bigger Culliver with brains! He had another pass defended and good in run support.

Special Teams: * = ST tackles/plays
Coverage: *Reid, *Morris, **Osgood, **Dahl, Skuta, Dixon, Brock, **Robinson, *Moody, *Spillman, Johnson, Cox, Wilhoite, *Patton, et al. - Patton got tossed on one coverage play but was the first one down on another. We did give up a 28er on a punt inside the 10.
P/KOR: LaMichael James, Chad Hall, Perrish Cox, Lavelle Hawkins, Quinton Patton - James had one FC. LH obviously had a fantastic return for a TD and Patton got some work on kickoffs (negative yards).

Coaching: - More dumb penalties at the worst time (common theme with us). I'm still not impressed with our pass blocking across the board (better edge run blocking today though). The defense continues to be 5 yards in the backfield at the snap and both the QB's and RB's seem to have to run upstream just to get into position to make "any" play. Whitner continues to be late, slow and short in coverage. The good is that Reid looks great, our WR's (Baldwin, Patton, Hall) and CB's (Nnamdi, Morris, Cooper) are looking better than we thought and McDonald, Hunter, etc. are going to blow up.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Great picture
Great stuff as always Marvin. I just slightly disagree on the second Hawkins penalty. The first one was excitement/stupidity, but the second one was completely misinterpreted...he was head-butting his old pal from CCSF/Cal, Desmond Bishop. If you see the close-up, Bishop is smiling while talking, so that was just two guys having fun giving each other good-natured s**t. I'm sorry, but if you can't play this game with emotion and passion, there's something either wrong with you or there's something wrong with the way the game is being officiated.

Bottom line though, I love Hawkins play-making ability and his passion; I just hope he didn't kill what slim chance he had of making the team.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Great stuff as always Marvin.

wat
Great stuff as always Marvin. I just slightly disagree on the second Hawkins penalty. The first one was excitement/stupidity, but the second one was completely misinterpreted...he was head-butting his old pal from CCSF/Cal, Desmond Bishop. If you see the close-up, Bishop is smiling while talking, so that was just two guys having fun giving each other good-natured s**t. I'm sorry, but if you can't play this game with emotion and passion, there's something either wrong with you or there's something wrong with the way the game is being officiated.

Bottom line though, I love Hawkins play-making ability and his passion; I just hope he didn't kill what slim chance he had of making the team.

I know he was...but it started before the head butt. If it were isolated...no biggie. If you had JUST been penalized for celebration and taunting tho you have to be smarter than that. Learn the lesson. Of course both were ticky tack calls....but LEARN from the first one and don't put yourself in that position again on a very important night for your career.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Great stuff as always Marvin.

wat

Did he stutter?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Player helped himself towards the 53; this is mostly for bubble players. ( ) indicates these players most likely are locks but we are still following them:

Offense:
QB: Colt McCoy, BJ Daniels, Scott Tolzien, Seneca Wallace - McCoy, terrible decision on the INT (Patton was blanket-covered anyhow). Showed good mobility. Terrible out-pass to Hall (10 feet over his head). Then 91-yard 9 play TD drive. Love after the 2nd Personal Foul call on Hawkins, BJ Daniels slaps him on the head with a "WTF are you doing, you idiot!" move. Another great run by BJ.
RB: Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper, (Anthony Dixon) - DJ had an OK game but won't make this team. That said, Hampton might. He is an absolute grinder in the Gore-mold and he even showed nice speed off tackle for a big run. Dixon looks much quicker and smoother this year and showed nice catches out of the backfield. As a FB, had a nice seal block at the goal line. Props to him who I originally didn't think he had much of a chance to make the team.
FB: Jason Scheplar, (Anthony Dixon) - I've said all along that we need a true FB behind Miller should he ever go down and he looks and plays the part. JS had several nice lead blocks on the goal line for the TD. He showed very good hands as well esp. on the behind pass by Wallace.
X: Chuck Jacobs, Chad Hall, Lavelle Hawkins, (Jon Baldwin), (Quinton Patton) – Nice slide run by Hall (lined up with the #1's BTW:). Patton had a nice run off a jam at the LOS underneath (low throw) and great 13 yard reception (shifty route). Nice 3rd down sideline catch by Hawkins. Fantastic catch by Baldwin (good hand move and concentration). Nothing else to report here.
Y (SLOT): Chad Hall, Austin Collie, (Jon Baldwin), (Quinton Patton) – Collie won't make this team IMHO. Hall was in with the first team and again, never dropped a pass (esp. on 3rd downs) and was open. Patton had a very nice 3rd and 10 yard catch to move the chains and great TD from this spot.
Z: Kassim Osgood, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie, Chad Hall, (Jon Baldwin), (Quinton Patton) – Nice seal block by Patton. Baldwin with a great low-behind catch on 3rd down and he had very nice outside blocking where he continued to sustain it and lead to more yards. Osgood never played.
TE: Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray – Big dropped pass by Celek but had fantastic seal blocks all game long esp. the TD run. Gray didn't play much but also showed good blocking.
LOT: Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski – Wiggins had a nice drive-out block but also had two holding penalties and lead to Bykowski coming in the rest of the game who was fair.
LG: Al Netter, (Joe Looney) – Joe was beaten on the inside on pass protection and hurt Williams knee on questionable low block. He did get better as the game went on but overall, not a good game. Netter played OK as well.
C: Joe Looney, (Daniel Kilgore) – Looney didn't play C today and Kilgore was with the second team and held the POC well most the game.
ROT: Patrick Omameh – Had a good drive block inside but whiffed in a pass block (theme for most of the second team, especially).

Defense:
RDE: (Demarcus Dobbs), Lawrence Okoye, Tony Jerod-Eddie – Dobbs was with the starting unit and played well through two blockers; I noticed he had a brace on his knee but he hustled hard. TFE is a "meh." But Okoye (came in at the 4:05 mark of 4Q) actually looked pretty good! Much better ball awareness and had a nice rush today. One pass rush lead to a rushed INC pass. He got his 1st tackle on another. He was blocked out twice and on the last one (double team) he hurt his knee. So expect us to keep him by putting him on the PUP.
NT: Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell, (Glenn Dorsey) – GD had a very nice game and also played with the starters. He had a fantastic inside rush on one play in particular. I'm bummed b/c I was looking forward to Divens playing and I never say him. MP is also a "meh."
LDE: Will Tukuafu – This dude plays so hard, hustles so much but has some of the worst ball-awareness I've seen. He is active and disruptive but lacks discipline. He played one snap at NT (bad idea). He leave big lanes open.
MIKE: (Michael Wilhoite), (Nick Moody) - These two are locks. We're done here!TED: Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson – I didn't see Stupar today either but Johnson did OK and got a nice cross-dog blitz off Moody.
WILL: (Parys Haralson), Cameron Johnson - Haralson played a lot with the second/third teams today and now I hear we are actively trying to trade him. I originally did not have him making the team as I though Cam could beat him out. It turned out it may have been Lemonier and Skuta instead. Cam didn't have a lot of snaps today but played OK (disciplined at least).
SLOT: Darryl Morris, (Perrish Cox) - Morris had a great knockdown pass in the EZ. Cox had the worst day of any defender yet. He had a P.I. in the EZ for not getting his head turned around. Then our pet-peeve; he is out-jumped/muscled by a taller, more physical WR for a TD plus had a 15-yard face-mask penalty. He also had two other passes caught on him.
FS: Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, (C.J. Spillman) – CJ rushed the QB at the goal line and got pwned leaving his man wide open for an easy TD. He made up for it on the Nnamdi-tip INT. LOL @ Michael Thomas' deflection-reception-that-should-have-been-an-interception! Robinson had a big day on ST.
SS: Raymond Ventrone, (Craig Dahl) – Ventrone played some today but I didn't have any notes on him.
RCB: Marcus Cooper – This kid (and Morris) are finds. I absolutely love his size and discipline and positioning. He is like a bigger Culliver with brains! He had another pass defended and good in run support.

Coverage: *Reid, *Morris, **Osgood, **Dahl, Skuta, Dixon, Brock, **Robinson, *Moody, *Spillman, Johnson, Cox, Wilhoite, *Patton, et al. - Patton got tossed on one coverage play but was the first one down on another. We did give up a 28er on a punt inside the 10.
P/KOR: LaMichael James, Chad Hall, Perrish Cox, Lavelle Hawkins, Quinton Patton - James had one FC. LH obviously had a fantastic return for a TD and Patton got some work on kickoffs (negative yards).

Coaching: - More dumb penalties at the worst time (common theme with us). I'm still not impressed with our pass blocking across the board (better edge run blocking today though). The defense continues to be 5 yards in the backfield at the snap and both the QB's and RB's seem to have to run upstream just to get into position to make "any" play. Whitner continues to be late, slow and short in coverage. The good is that Reid looks great, our WR's (Baldwin, Patton, Hall) and CB's (Nnamdi, Morris, Cooper) are looking better than we thought and McDonald, Hunter, etc. are going to blow up.

Well done.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I know he was...but it started before the head butt. If it were isolated...no biggie. If you had JUST been penalized for celebration and taunting tho you have to be smarter than that. Learn the lesson. Of course both were ticky tack calls....but LEARN from the first one and don't put yourself in that position again on a very important night for your career.

True, just hope he gets another shot this Thursday to show what he can do and NOT draw a flag.
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Offense:

Defense:
NT: Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell, (Glenn Dorsey) – GD had a very nice game and also played with the starters. He had a fantastic inside rush on one play in particular. I'm bummed b/c I was looking forward to Divens playing and I never say him. MP is also a "meh."

Well done.

Thank you!

This has been a great thread with many great posts to back up the opening one. Happy to know there is depth including two backups with great potential. McCoy is not bad, just not as good as the newest guys in this offense. Gots to have backups that don't require changing the whole offense if they have to go in.
Boom...what did they say last year
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Boom...what did they say last year

THIS is so awesome to go back and read! It's like an after-game analysis...prediction thread!

We should revist more threads.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
given our lack of success at WR, let's first hope for a successful Crabtree return and a good stable of WRs:

Crabtree
Boldin
Manningham
Baldwin
Patton
Williams

That's a pretty strong WR corp (when healthy). But even waiting until Crabs and Ham get healthy, my concern level has decreased...

I hope you aren't taking Bruce Ellington out of the equation, that would be a mistake. Just my .02
Originally posted by whirledps:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
given our lack of success at WR, let's first hope for a successful Crabtree return and a good stable of WRs:

Crabtree
Boldin
Manningham
Baldwin
Patton
Williams

That's a pretty strong WR corp (when healthy). But even waiting until Crabs and Ham get healthy, my concern level has decreased...

I hope you aren't taking Bruce Ellington out of the equation, that would be a mistake. Just my .02

lol, I hope you realize that post is over a year old. Notice how 3 of those players aren't on the team anymore.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone