LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 307 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Isn't Lattimore on the NFI list?

Think he meant LaMichael James??? Yeah Lattimore is on NFI I think and will go to IR when they do the final roster. He probably could have been back week 6-8ish but we figure why rush him we don't necessarily need him this year.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Think he meant LaMichael James??? Yeah Lattimore is on NFI I think and will go to IR when they do the final roster. He probably could have been back week 6-8ish but we figure why rush him we don't necessarily need him this year.

Ok, cuz if that got by without the beat writers talking about it, that would be strange
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Solid post Marv.

QB's: It looked like Kap needed the time and extra passes to get into his rhythm. Once in his zone, he lit it up.
I was thinking he was auditioning McCoy for prospective buyers. After last night, the asking price went up.
Daniels - WOW! He's a keeper for sure.

RB: Great to see Hunter back, he looked strong and FAST!
Dixon, who I've been very critical of in the past, has really stepped up tis off season and I think he definitely makes the team
Lattimore had an off day. I'm not worried, he be back in form soon.

WR: Moore seems like an understudy of Boldin. I really like his hands and toughness.
How `Bout that Patton! Yes sir, he played well. Good hands.
Baldwin - didn't see enough to have a definite opinion but he has the size to help out once he learns the play book.

TE: McDonald is going to be a big contributor this season. He blocked very well last night.

OL: They haven't really clicked on a consistent basis. That will come soon, no worries.

DL: Seeing Justin back in form brought a big smile to my face. Ray Mac, Dorsey, Ian all played well
I can't recall seeing Dobbs contribute. How did he do?

LB: Wilhoite has really impressed.
Brooks had a hell of a game.

DB: Reid looks a lot more comfortable. I know he'll make some rookie mistakes as the season progresses BUT he has an incredible upside.
Aso - He really makes contact at the line of scrimmage. Great pick up and we'll need his game all season long.
Cox had an off game. IMO, has trouble w/taller receivers.

ST: You gotta give it up for Dawson - he's solid gold.

The Stupid Award goes to - Hawkins. What a jackass! Hopefully he can get a Singletary moment from VD and get his head on right. The guy seems to have real potential.

The Scumbag Award goes to Looney. Inexcusable!

Correct.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Actually I thought James looked good. he had 2 bad runs for losses that messed up the averages, but the rest of the runs looked good. He seems to be able to create just a little space where there isn't any. Whenever I think he's trapped, he seems to find a way to squeeze through for a couple yards.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
It definitely was a cheap shot, no doubt about it.

It wasn't that it was a cheap shot as much as it was a p**** shot. Like someone else mentioned, he could have just blocked like a man. Instead he gets back up, to go back down to his knees. If I was KWilliams, I would be pissed too.
I thought that low block that Looney did was unprofessional and totally uncalled for. You can bet other players from other teams will take notice. Not what I would expect a 49er to do. A Raider or Seahawk...yes.

LMJ looked good despite his stats. He hit his holes well and made space. he did some of his best work between the tackles. the MIN def seemed ready to stretch him out on the sideline runs. That will be harder to do withthe read option if teams are determined to take shots at Kaep. That will give James space to get upfield. Hunter looked exceptional. The line looked good. They need to settle down. Just a few too many penalties.
JEWEL HAMPTON. The guy looks like gore with a different number and I like it. I became a fan of his become I just like his style of play. I kno it's against back ups but still.

ANTHONY DIXON looked really good running and catching the ball. Crazy special teams play and is just electric.

QUINTON PATTON is everything I thought he was, besides being a bad dancer lol. Looked beyond solid and hopeful can get in on OROY talks if givin some playing time.

V-Mac makes me beyond excited for the regular season, he could get in on those talks as well.

Lavelle Hawkins. The guy got excited and got flagged, it happens, ppl learn. Vernon Davis used to be the same way. Erase the flags and celebrations and we find out that he's fast, can return kicks and adds value and a little swagger. If we go into the season with KW being our 2 or 3 WR, I feel better that he's not returning kicks and risking gettin hurt.

Chad Hall is not a kick returner.

ERIC REID is a football player. He's gonna make some plays this season and we're gonna enjoy watchin this guy play in the red and gold.

Jon Baldwin is gonna be the player everyone so desperate wanted Harbaalke to draft. RZ guy. Jumpball guy. Brings a different look to the WR corps. If he can learn something from Boldin, he could be a dangerous target.

Colt McCoy just need a little motivation but looks like he can do the job. He'll only improve in time with Harbaugh whispering in his ear.

BJ DANIELs looks like russel Wilson wearing a Niners jersey lol. But seriously, let him be #3 and maybe utilize him. Won't clear waivers so can't cut him.

Wilhoite, Stupar, lemonier oh my.
Agreed on all points, but I think it may turn out that you're selling Baldwin a little short. Going to be interesting to watch his development.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Watched game and then immediately rewatched it fast-forwarding between plays. :)

1) Kaep: Its funny how some peeps make a big deal about the 1-7 start. a throw away, 2 tipped passes, his arm was hit on another, one was a failed screen.....it was really no biggy. That was further proven when he went 6 for 6 and a TD for the rest of his game. Kaep is just fine.

2) Colt McCoy: As most of us know, he was named the #2 QB right after the game. Unlike the media who seem to automatically believe Harbaugh every time he says something, I think he's posturing. It sounds a lot to me like when Harbaugh was saying that they would NOT release Alex Smith knowing full well that they couldn't keep him. It smells to me like they are trying to signal to somebody that Colt will not be released and they need to pony up a pick if they want him. I have no idea if it'll work, but I never thought they'd get anything for Alex...let alone what they got.

3) BJ Daniels: I really like that kid. I think he's too green to be a #2 QB, but I don't think they can expose him to the practice squad. Someone will grab him. My personal opinion (and I could be way off...just my thinking), Colt get traded, Tolzien gets released, and your QBs are Kaep, Wallace, and Daniels.

4) Vance McDonald: Wow. Whenever he's on the field you notice. You don't see many 265 lb men move like that or hurdle defenders. Delanie was a great athlete, and even at 6' and about 240 I never saw him do that. He's gonna be huge.

5) Kendall Hunter: DAMN it was great to see Kendall out there again. Looked like the same guy too. Same quick feed and acceleration. It actually gives me some hope that Crab will be closer to 100% than I thought when he gets back.

6) Quinton Patton: That was GREAT to see. All he lacks is pure straight line speed. He is EVERYTHING AJ Jenkins wasn't. Great start for him.

7) Jon Baldwin: If you know what he is, I think he can be very effective. He is NOT a speed receiver. He's NOT Calvin Johnson. Some of you reading this will say "duh", but my point is that the expectations of him when he was drafted weren't close to what he actually was. If you accept what he is going in, then you have a better chance to see him for what he is. He's a big jump ball type player. He's functional and I think there's a place on the team for him. I can't say the same of AJ. He wasn't a functional player. I kinda compare Baldwin to Glenn Dorsey. He isn't the guy that people thought he would be coming out of school. If you accept that and remove the HUGE expectations and remove all of the disappointment over his development, then you can see what he IS and appreciate it far more.

8) Lavelle Hawkins: Moron. I'm sorry...I hate to talk like that about a Niner, but that was just a special kind of stupid. The first taunting penalty on the return was bogus....but he also took he helmet off. Stupid. Then...after talking with Harbaugh, he makes a catch and celebrates...and then gets into it with a player and gets the flag again. Idiot. Both times he made a great play and he nullified it with a stupid penalty. When you are trying to make a team, that's the stuff that gets you cut.

9) Justin Smith: Yeah...Cowboy's back. :)

10) Phil Dawson: Wow. OK, I think we are good at kicker again. LOL.
As for (8) Come on..those were some tacky calls..he wasn't taunting anybody by holding the ball out for a second as he neared the goal and he was NOT ON THE FIELD when he took his helmet off and as for the so called head butt...it looked like he and the Viking player knew each other. The were smiling at each other and talking when they TAPPED their helmets together.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
With Boldin and Patton...ohh man they gonna give db fits

Anyone know of a link I could rewatch the game. Obviously we won but I was working and just couldn't watch it
Originally posted by redsleeves:
As for (8) Come on..those were some tacky calls..he wasn't taunting anybody by holding the ball out for a second as he neared the goal and he was NOT ON THE FIELD when he took his helmet off and as for the so called head butt...it looked like he and the Viking player knew each other. The were smiling at each other and talking when they TAPPED their helmets together.

Teammates in college.

He's not a moron. Excitable? . . . yes. Celebrating with his ex-college teammate? . . . yes. I agree that those were some borderline tacky calls. He just has to reign it in a bit. They'll throw the falg on anything, it seems. A bit too much IMO.
Did anyone notice the block Hunter threw on the touchdown pass to Patton? He basically sealed that edge for Kaepernick.
Great read. I also want Kaep, Wallace & Daniels as QB's. Looney hit was uncalled for & Hawkins great plays but silly reactions that cost him & the team.
Originally posted by northoakland510:
Did anyone notice the block Hunter threw on the touchdown pass to Patton? He basically sealed that edge for Kaepernick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVMK5uW6yc
Share 49ersWebzone