There are 207 users in the forums

WR Situation is better than we all expected.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have said all along I think it will take a committee to make up for Crabtree. Sure nobody has stepped up as the #2 but like I said we will use WR 1-5 (possibly 6), Davis, McDonad, Celek/Gray as well as our RB's who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Everyone will be involved and everyone will step up a little bit to make up for Crabtree and Manningham being out. We aren't like other teams we won't have the same 2 guys out there all game every game. Besides Boldin expect a lot of rotating in and out of the WR's. I think we will use everybody. As far as who we have I expected McDonald and Patton to come in day 1 and contribute. Moore has been better then I thought. Jenkins and Lockette I was wrong about; I thought they would step up this year. Boldin looks as good if not better than we thought he would be. We also upgraded over Jenkins. So we don't have a super star #2 but we have good depth from 2-6.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM ]
With a legit franchise QB in Kap, I was confident we would be OK with anybody as long as we had Boldin and VD healthy.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I have said all along I think it will take a committee to make up for Crabtree. Sure nobody has stepped up as the #2 but like I said we will use WR 1-5 (possibly 6), Davis, McDonad, Celek/Gray as well as our RB's who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Everyone will be involved and everyone will step up a little bit to make up for Crabtree and Manningham being out. We aren't like other teams we won't have the same 2 guys out there all game every game. Besides Boldin expect a lot of rotating in and out of the WR's. I think we will use everybody. As far as who we have I expected McDonald and Patton to come in day 1 and contribute. Moore has been better then I thought. Jenkins and Lockette I was wrong about; I thought they would step up this year. Boldin looks as good if not better than we thought he would be. We also upgraded over Jenkins. So we don't have a super star #2 but we have good depth from 2-6.

even boldin, i doubt they want to burn him out early in the year. he will play a lot but i think the young guys will play alot
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Moore looked really solid.

Patton will be a factor by the end of the season.

If KW returns to form our WR will contribute big time.

Or, from the very first game onwards. Absolutely nothing to stop him from making plays for this team.
The team under no circumstances should play Patton in any games this year. It is a known fact that a rookie WR requires 3 full years to be productive in the NFL. They should just sit him this year. Keep him on the inactive roster. Even if they played him towards the end of the year it is doubtful that he would provide any production at all so why waste the time. Oh wait he produced already and actually caught a TD pass. Well in that case never mind.
he will play alot, u dont keep someone who looks that comfortable out there on the bench. he definitely looks like hes been here before even though he hasnt.
What I like about Baldwin is his size. He won't be mugged at the line by Sherman. If Baldwin and Boldin are on the field against the Seahawks they'll give out more punishment than they take.
Than you all expected, I on the other hand, was not worried. Other than the crushing loss of Crabtree, I felt we had improved depth at the WR position. We now have a log jam of good looking young players and vets. Boldin, Patton, Williams, Moore, Hall, and Baldwin, are my 6, with Hall the odd man out when Mario returns. I just don't know who gets cut when Crabtree comes back. Williams maybe, Moore?
This could be Boldin's last season as a starting caliber WR, but I don't think we cut him when Crabtree returns, unless these younger players make it an issue.
Derp....
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Aug 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Boldin, Patton, Moore, KW? I think they can keep the ship afloat until Crabs and Ham get back into the line up.

And don't forget about Baldwin.

Originally posted by willtalk:
The team under no circumstances should play Patton in any games this year. It is a known fact that a rookie WR requires 3 full years to be productive in the NFL. They should just sit him this year. Keep him on the inactive roster. Even if they played him towards the end of the year it is doubtful that he would provide any production at all so why waste the time. Oh wait he produced already and actually caught a TD pass. Well in that case never mind.

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I think we FINALLY have a qb capable of making his WR's better. Kap gives guys opportunities to make a play. He puts the ball where it needs to be and allows them to run after the catch. I think he'll make some of no-name WR's a lot of money...

I'm in the group that believes QB's make WR's. Rogers, Manning, Brady, Brees and others have all turned no-names into legitimate receivers and good receivers into Pro Bowlers. It's WAY too early to tell, but I think Kaep has potential to turn into this type of QB, and tonight he put that on display.

Just imagine how good our offense could've been with a healthy Crabs and Manningham

I think this WR corps has a chance to be better without Crabs and Manningham, and Patton in his official profile says he ran a mid 4.5 in the 40, but has been clocked in other places in the low 4.4 range, could actually be better than Crabs. Jon Baldwin not having a qb to get him the ball the past 3 years, this could be interesting, Boldin will be a great teacher/player, Vernon unleashed is holy cow, lol, this can be a mean group.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I think Boldin will be with us for a couple of years, likely as a mentor for the younger guys. I think that Baldwin is envisaged as his long term replacement if Baldwin can learn from him and turn hmself around, and although it was one pre-season game there is a chance that could happen. Patton will play this season and be bled in to take over as a full starter next season. I think we'll be good this season with Boldin, Moore and Williams likely the startes until Crabs comes back. I think Patton will see a lot of action and Baldwin will contribute as #5. I think Collie's experience will get him in as #6 unless Hawkins is exceptional in our last pre-season game on Thursday.

This season we are in good shape, and as long as Crabs comes back to full health we will have no worries at WR position.
Looking forward though, I'll be honest and say I don't think that Williams and Manningham will be with us after this season unless Crabs doesn't sign or is not the same player. I think that our coaches want a WR like Boldin that will go up and take a difficult ball and they hope to develop Baldwin in that role. I think Patton will replace Williams and Mario will be let go next season in favour of keeping Moore. We will look to draft more talent.

This year: Boldin, Moore, Williams, Patton, Baldwin and Collie. When Crabs comes back I think Collie will be cut. I am not sure Manningham will make the team if Moore proves himself, I think harbaugh is the type where you have to win the job rather than have it handed back to you.

Next Year: Crabs, Boldin/Baldwin, Patton, Moore and likely a high draft pick. If Crabs demands mega money then I think 2 high draft picks and an experienced FA signing.
Meanwhile, AJ Jenkins didn't catch a pass for the Chiefs in their game. Haha.
It's interesting that once we got rid of AJ things got a lot brighter for the 49ers.

I'm glad that Harbaugh kept in Kaep for more series and we got to see some production.

Patton looks great. Yes, it's early but he looked more than a 1st pick than AJ (who had no catches, wow he is hanging by a thread)

Jon Baldwin was hit in stride by Kaep, and he gives the 49ers another big body. When we traded AJ we got a two for one. We got rid of a non producer and we got a player that we really don't have 6 4 230 big body receiver. If we would have kept AJ, patton, KW, marlon moore, are all similar sized players. (6 190-200)

Marlon Moore we all thought was a ST scrub. I don't think that way anymore because he looks good out there. He gets open and he's got speed.

Boldin didn't get any catches but I'm not worried about him. I think he will be with the 49ers for some time. Why get rid of this guy?

KW they are really being cautious with this guy. I hope he hits the ground running, but he's gotta be a little nervous about Patton and Marlon.

I think this squad is better than we had last year, Ted Ginn (limited, hands?) and Randy Moss (questionable heart, unpredictable, not a good blocker).

Mario Manningham might be in trouble. He was really coming on last year before he got hurt. It's too bad about his injury. But I guess he will come back and add depth before Crabtree comes back.

Much happier now that we got through our third game. You forget at times its preseason. CANT WAIT!!!!!!

If we can just be consistent on offense we are going to be a bad ass team.
Share 49ersWebzone