LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

49ers Looking To Trade/Release Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This thread really got me thinking about how lucky we are as 49er fans. Nobody has it better than us. I'm certainly not talking about being lucky to have Colt McCoy either. We're lucky because the only thing we have to discuss is who gets cut from the list of 3rd and 4th stingers. Having said that I'm getting tired of the bench warmer conversations and can't wait for the real games to start.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Wallace can not go on the practice squad. He has played in the league for almost ten years.

He has started around 450 games.

If Harbaugh tries to put Wallace on the practice squad, the NFL is going to require Harbaugh to take a concussion test.

Thanks for reminding me, then is even worse he probably won't stand a chance.
He looks like a young Jerry Jones and needs to be cut.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He came with less than a minute left, played like three snaps.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
No way we should cut Daniels based on his performance, but just like Ntae Dvais, we don't see the whole picture regarding Daniels. Although 3rd string QB should be a spot for a project QB, bringing in Seneca was a bad omen for Daniels, especially given how quickly Harbs named Colt primary back up. I think that if Daniels knocks it out of the ballpark and Seneca doesnt against the same scrubs, Daniels will get the nod. Harbs wants to see if Daniels buckles before the pressure or not. I don't even remember Seneca playing last week.

He came with less than a minute left, played like three snaps.

Hmmm, meaningful snaps I see.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I see.

OK, you want to talk logic right ? You are trying to quote his Browns experience as substantiation that McCoy is some stud of a QB right ? So, if that was the case, why did he get cut ? 11 picks in 2011 right ? And he threw 3 picks in 3 preseason games right ? I don't know about you, at least mathematically it seems to suggest he has regressed. Plus, a TD ratio of 14 TDs to 11 INTs is nothing to brag about. Brandon Weeden is better than him by a mile.

I never called McCoy some stud QB nor was it implied. I'm not putting words in your mouth so I don't see why your putting them in mine.

McCoy did throw 11 picks in 13 games as the Browns starter in 2011....by contrast Tom Brady threw 12 picks in 16 games and Drew Brees threw 14 picks in 16 games. Would you like to compare the 3 QB's supporting casts ? Cleveland had little offensive talent to help support Colt. While Colt is no Brady or Brees nor will he ever be, he showed he can protect the football.

It's hard to determine whether he regressed or not based off of a few preseason games when you consider just how many snaps he has had this preseason. And citing his 3 picks as some troubling statistic that should concern us is also lacking. Flacco has 4 preseason picks...should the Ravens be holding a QB competition for the week 1 starter ? While those 3 picks aren't a good thing, you cannot simply determine whether he regressed or not off of a statistic nor can you determine whether or not he can protect the football or not solely off of a statistic in this case. The coaches use more than preseason gameplay and statistics in their evaluations, which means there is information we are not privy to that will help them decide which QB's stay and which go.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Aug 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
cos BJ will never clear waivers

Opinion is not fact. Too many factors in play to determine whether another team would have a spot on their 53 should we cut BJ in hopes of signing him to the PS. It's a risk that Harbaugh and Baalke have to determine if it is worth taking or not. Opinions will vary on this but to me it comes down to whether or not the coaching staff would feel comfortable carrying only 2 QB's on the 53.
I see.

OK, you want to talk logic right ? You are trying to quote his Browns experience as substantiation that McCoy is some stud of a QB right ? So, if that was the case, why did he get cut ? 11 picks in 2011 right ? And he threw 3 picks in 3 preseason games right ? I don't know about you, at least mathematically it seems to suggest he has regressed. Plus, a TD ratio of 14 TDs to 11 INTs is nothing to brag about. Brandon Weeden is better than him by a mile.

Do you watch Cle games? I have for a long time and the WR situation there is bad....like leading the league in drops bad.
Originally posted by maltz88:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by maltz88:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
One team might...Seattle. Brady Quinn is their 3rd-stringer right now, behind Tavaris Jackson and of course Wilson. I don't doubt for one second that they'd dump Quinn (who doesn't really fit their scheme) and replace him with a guy who plays exactly like their starter.

Seattle won't carry a 3rd string QB on the roster. Their battle is between Tarvaris Jackson and Quinn for the backup role, the other is out on the street.

And you know this for sure how? Not trying to be pissy, just curious.

Of course not. Wish I had someone on the inside to give me the real scoop. But it's what they did last year, and they don't seem too concerned with a 3rd string QB spot as they don't even have another developmental QB in camp. I know they won't carry both Quinn & Jackson, as either of their salaries would be too much as a 3rd stringer.

I'm actually surprised that most teams do waste a roster spot on a 3rd string QB. When's the last time a 3rd stringer actually developed into a starter? I'd much rather they use the roster spot for depth at another position that will more than likely play anyway.

They definitely won't carry two veterans as backups, but they certainly could carry a developmental QB like Daniels as a #3. Especially Daniels who has enough versatility to play some special teams or even WR in a pinch. Not saying they will do this because I don't know that either, but having a young guy who essentially plays like your starter and who provides roster versatility (not just a pure QB) isn't a bad thing at all. Btw, that's essentially the reason I hope Daniels sticks around here.
I see.

When exactly did he get cut? He was the backup in Cleveland, and when he was the starter in Cleveland, Seneca Wallace was his backup and while McCoy was on the Browns roster last season, Wallace was busily guarding Fort Livingroom since nobody else brought him in 2012.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is some figures that may give us a better sense of McCoy's work.

In 2011, the Browns tied with the Falcons and Broncos for 8th best in the NFL for interceptions thrown.
The Browns threw 13 picks. McCoy threw 11 picks.

The Browns threw the ball 575 times or 35.6 times per game. That was 11th most in the league.
Colt McCoy threw 463 passes in 2011.

It seems as McCoy was anything but an interception machine.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone