There are 306 users in the forums

49ers Looking To Trade/Release Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by buck:
If we cut Daniels, he goes on the waiver wire. |f another team claims him, he becomes their "property."

If he clears waivers, we can sign him to our practice squad. One he is on our practice squad, he has the right to turn down offers from other teams.

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I feel he would not clear waivers.

At the least, his value to the 49ers is that of a scout team QB who can emulate RWilson.
Originally posted by thl408:
If we cut Daniels, he goes on the waiver wire. |f another team claims him, he becomes their "property."

If he clears waivers, we can sign him to our practice squad. One he is on our practice squad, he has the right to turn down offers from other teams.

At the least, his value to the 49ers is that of a scout team QB who can emulate RWilson.

What has Daniels really done that no other 31 other 4th string QB has done in preseason ?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
What has Daniels really done that no other 31 other 4th string QB has done in preseason ?
i have not taken time to watch 31 other fourth string quarterbacks but he has made plays, good decisions and looks better to me than what I assume a fourth round qb(like stanzi) looks like. I just know he looks good in our system, he makes plays with his feet and legs, he seems to have somewhat of a grasp on this option stuff we run at times. i have no evidence to back this up but i would like to think if you would roll out highlights of his play so far in pre season compared to highlights of other third or fourth string quarterbacks, he has done much better. I do not know nor do i care about 31 other fourth stringers, I think this guy is worth of a roster spot
  • thl408

I have no idea. I haven't seen other team's 3rd/4th string QBs so I can't answer that question.

He's athletic and shows some promise. Decent accuracy on his throws.
Didn't B.J. Daniels play special teams?

For his rookie season, sign him at WR so you can keep Tolzien/Wallace if the Niners can't make a decision.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I have no idea. I haven't seen other team's 3rd/4th string QBs so I can't answer that question.

He's athletic and shows some promise. Decent accuracy on his throws.
why do we even care about what 31 other 4th stringers look like anyway? i am only concerned about the niners, this is our hill and these are our beans
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Didn't B.J. Daniels play special teams?

For his rookie season, sign him at WR so you can keep Tolzien/Wallace if the Niners can't make a decision.

he is not better at wide out then the guys who are playing there probably and jesus is no longer on our team
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The Jets have signed another quarterback.

I would say there is not much chance of McCoy being traded. .

It appears there is no chance McCoy is released.

The only question about our quarterback depth is who will be the #3.

I am rooting for Daniels.

Wallace might get the gig for being a Vet

They would already have a vet in McCoy which typically means that #3 role is given to a developmental guy. IMO, Wallace was brought in to push McCoy, not to be a #3.

McCoy freaking sucks azz

Big time !!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Rascal:
There we have it, the Bills are starting a 22 year old undrafted free agent rookie called Jeff Tuel even after they have also signed Matt Leinart as a back-up. But, why ? Are they trying to destroy the franchise ? I doubt it. Open up your minds folks, you can have all the experience in the world like Grossman and Leinart, when it comes down to it is whether the person can play football, is that simple.

There we go.

I am not in any way saying these numbers are definitive per se, but I guess they are good enough for the Bills to decide to start him in the season opener in the face of EJ Manuel's injury. An UDFA !! They are not even thinking twice about it to start Matt Leinart instead, that says a lot to me. Sometimes, you just need to trust your eyes and instincts. The concept of sitting a rookie QB behind the starter for 3 years is really passe. Let's face it. if Alex Smith had gone down in 2011 instead, we would have started Kap too.

Whether the preseason is the apex for their careers remain to be seen. But, I do know in a QB-driven league, they will get their chances. Preseason is an opportunity for the teams to evaluate their depth charts and BJ beat out McCoy fair and square. He did the very best that he could even when Harbaugh was trying him out on KR, WR and not giving him a fair share of reps. That was all he could do, you couldn't have asked for more.

There is a failure to mention that Tuel has much much more playing time than BJ has this preseason. Comparing stats between a guy who has 43 attempted passes vs a guy with 12 attempted passes doesn't exactly measure up in an even manner. Tuel played the entire second half vs Indy (where he completed his first 10 passes) and 3 quarters and some change vs Washington. Had it not been for injuries he likely wouldn't have had those same opportunities afforded. Not to mention they signed Leinart on Sunday, and he'll have at most what maybe a dozen practices to prepare for Week 1, whereas Tuel has been with the Bills and learning the offense since the end of April, beginning of May. Tuel and BJ's situations are not really that much alike, and injuries painted the Bills into a corner. Tuel has made the most of his opportunites, and that doesn't take away from the flashes we saw from BJ but given what the Bills saw from Tuel and given their situation he earned the right to start if Manuel can't come back in time.

So, your point is ?

He has led two lengthy time consuming drives which produced touchdowns out of, I believe, three opportunities. No 80 yard, 1 play drives.

These drives contained several third down gut checks.

Those are his credentials.

• Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
He has led two lengthy time consuming drives which produced touchdowns out of, I believe, three opportunities. No 80 yard, 1 play drives.

He's also done better than every other QB on our team minus Kaep. I know the competition was low, but he made plays at QB when he barely even practiced at QB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
He's also done better than every other QB on our team minus Kaep. I know the competition was low, but he made plays at QB when he barely even practiced at QB.

in my opinion, your last six words are huge. i would like to think the coaches are thinking the very same thing and figure with more practice he can only get better which is good news for us and for him. why would you give up or discard a talent like this. you have to find a way to keep him and i think the decision has been made. he is three, colt is number two and wallace goes back to ames iowa and works at hickory park
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:

Absolutely. Plus, BJ has far more composure even as a rookie than McCoy will ever have. McCoy just can't read the defense and makes bad decisions.
  • evil
  • Veteran
So, your point is ?

You can't compare Buffalo's situation to ours or liken BJ to Tuel. Circumstances and the opportunities afforded to both are different.

And you cannot say BJ has beaten McCoy, because preaseason games are not the end all be all. What happens in practice and in meetings also play a factor in all of this. You called McCoy a pick machine and claimed he cannot protect the football a few pages back or so to which I responded directly to and you ignored. You never seemed to factor in McCoys previous playing experience in Cleveland, when you determined Colt could not protect the ball.

Your logic and reasoning come across as lacking and somewhat biased.

Check out what happened on those drives.. More of running the ball drives
Share 49ersWebzone