LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

49ers Looking To Trade/Release Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kaep: A series or two.
McCoy: About a quarter. I still think Harbaugh/Baalke interested in shopping him if another team makes the right offer.
Wallace and Daniels split the rest. One will be the go-to backup if McCoy is traded. If he's not, it'll be interesting to see whom the Niners choose to keep, all other things being equal.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
There we have it, the Bills are starting a 22 year old undrafted free agent rookie called Jeff Tuel even after they have also signed Matt Leinart as a back-up. But, why ? Are they trying to destroy the franchise ? I doubt it. Open up your minds folks, you can have all the experience in the world like Grossman and Leinart, when it comes down to it is whether the person can play football, is that simple.

PFF has Jeff Tuel ranked 10th among quarterbacks in preseason games. Our preseason wonder kid is ranked 12th.

Daniels has a NFL passer rating of 120.8--fifth highest; Tuel has the 16th highest NFL rating--a 106.7

Tuel has completed 72.1% of his passes. Daniels--66.7%.

But, we know that preseason numbers often have little true meaning.

Who knows what these numbers prove?.

But, nevertheless, Daniels and Tuel have done well. This preseason could be the apex of their NFL careers.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 28, 2013 at 6:03 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Kaep: A series or two.
McCoy: About a quarter. I still think Harbaugh/Baalke interested in shopping him if another team makes the right offer.
Wallace and Daniels split the rest. One will be the go-to backup if McCoy is traded. If he's not, it'll be interesting to see whom the Niners choose to keep, all other things being equal.

If Daniels doesn't make the 53, I'm going to be upset. Hes has shown some real upside. Not sure how much more he can do with backup receivers also. I think our roster is stacked but we need 3 qbs on the team. Not sure I wouldve annointed McCoy as the backup yet
Originally posted by buck:
PFF has Jeff Tuel ranked 10th among quarterbacks in preseason games. Our preseason wonder kid is ranked 12th.

Daniels has a NFL passer rating of 120.8--fifth highest; Tuel has the 16th highest NFL rating--a 106.7

But, we know that preseason numbers often have little true meaning. who knows what these numbers prove. This could be the apex of their NFL careers.

Jeff Tuel (sounds like tool LOL) is opening vs. Pats, if he starts. Ya really think that's gonna work out well? (BTW I saw this guy play vs. BYU last year who had one of the best college D's and he looked ordinary. BYU's defense was great but still not NFL last time I checked.) I'm sure Patriots D will have some unscouted looks that will scramble his brain.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
If Daniels doesn't make the 53, I'm going to be upset. Hes has shown some real upside. Not sure how much more he can do with backup receivers also. I think our roster is stacked but we need 3 qbs on the team. Not sure I wouldve annointed McCoy as the backup yet

I think it would be nice to see Daniels make the squad, but we do know that playing well in the preseason is not much more than playing well in the preseason.

I am going to keep my mind open.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Before we invest too much of our souls in preseason stats consider this.

We just traded Parys Haralson for a conditional 7th round pick.

Right now, as of today, PFF has Parys as the highest ranked OLB in preseason play.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM ]
Before we invest too much of our souls in preseason stats consider this.

We just traded Parys Haralson for a conditional 7th round pick.

Right now, as of today, PFF has Parys as the highest ranked OLB in preseason play.

Damn thats crazy. I thought that NO got the best side of this deal before knowing that
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I wonder what the quarterback rotation is going to look like against the Chargers.

I would like to see the snaps split evenly between Wallace and Daniels with the rookie getting the time with the first team.

No injuries. No starters. Back up Bowl!!!!!

There we have it, the Bills are starting a 22 year old undrafted free agent rookie called Jeff Tuel even after they have also signed Matt Leinart as a back-up. But, why ? Are they trying to destroy the franchise ? I doubt it. Open up your minds folks, you can have all the experience in the world like Grossman and Leinart, when it comes down to it is whether the person can play football, is that simple.

But, we know that preseason numbers often have little true meaning.

Who knows what these numbers prove?.

But, nevertheless, Daniels and Tuel have done well. This preseason could be the apex of their NFL careers.

There we go.

I am not in any way saying these numbers are definitive per se, but I guess they are good enough for the Bills to decide to start him in the season opener in the face of EJ Manuel's injury. An UDFA !! They are not even thinking twice about it to start Matt Leinart instead, that says a lot to me. Sometimes, you just need to trust your eyes and instincts. The concept of sitting a rookie QB behind the starter for 3 years is really passe. Let's face it. if Alex Smith had gone down in 2011 instead, we would have started Kap too.

Whether the preseason is the apex for their careers remain to be seen. But, I do know in a QB-driven league, they will get their chances. Preseason is an opportunity for the teams to evaluate their depth charts and BJ beat out McCoy fair and square. He did the very best that he could even when Harbaugh was trying him out on KR, WR and not giving him a fair share of reps. That was all he could do, you couldn't have asked for more.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Damn thats crazy. I thought that NO got the best side of this deal before knowing that

My guess is that Parys Haralson was the real winner in this trade.

Fangio talked about how Parys had been nothing but positive for the team, and he mentioned that Parys would get the chance to start.

Haralson has paid his dues. Baalke and Fangio made a deal that gave him the best chance of starting.

If they had just simply released him, he might not have made it to the Saints. The front office did the right thing for the player.
  • buck
  • Veteran

BJ beat out McCoy fair and square. He did the very best that he could even when Harbaugh was trying him out on KR, WR and not giving him a fair share of reps. That was all he could do, you couldn't have asked for more.

It sounds like you do not have much faith in Harbaugh and his capacity to evaluate quarterbacks.

Is that true, or am I misreading what you are saying?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Jeff Tuel (sounds like tool LOL) is opening vs. Pats, if he starts. Ya really think that's gonna work out well? (BTW I saw this guy play vs. BYU last year who had one of the best college D's and he looked ordinary. BYU's defense was great but still not NFL last time I checked.) I'm sure Patriots D will have some unscouted looks that will scramble his brain.

The point is the Bills feel he is the best option they got even with Matt Leinart as the other back-up. You should watch his highlights in the Colts game. It was a pretty solid performance (16/23, 212 yards and 2 TDs). Not too shabby for an UDFA. He just needs to put together a consistent performance. In any case, doesn't matter who is the QB, I don't think anyone are expecting them to beat the Pats anyway. Give the kid a chance and cut him some slack.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Well said. That's what I have been saying as well.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
It sounds like you do not have much faith in Harbaugh and his capacity to evaluate quarterbacks.

Is that true, or am I misreading what you are saying?

Come on, you don't need me to tell you I am not in favour of McCoy being #2, this whole discussion has been ongoing for days now.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Come on, you don't need me to tell you I am not in favour of McCoy being #2, this whole discussion has been ongoing for days now.

I understand that you are not in favor of McCoy being #2.

You disagree with what seems to be Harbaugh's choice for the #2 spot.

I understand that, although I do think that you are putting to much weight on preseason games.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with, or agreeing with for that matter, Harbaugh.

However, I sense that you are implying that Harbaugh has not been fair or that he has been consciously duplicitous in this process.

If you are really implying that I am asking for you to explain why you think that.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I understand that you are not in favor of McCoy being #2.

You disagree with what seems to be Harbaugh's choice for the #2 spot.

I understand that, although I do think that you are putting to much weight on preseason games.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with, or agreeing with for that matter, Harbaugh.

However, I sense that you are implying that Harbaugh has not been fair or that he has been consciously duplicitous in this process.

If you are really implying that I am asking for you to explain why you think that.

No, I am not implying anything.

What I have said are all known facts, BJ has had far less reps at QB throughout the entire camp until supposedly after the Chiefs game when McCoy and Tolzien tanked while BJ scored the winning TD. When asked by the media, Harbaugh said he had subsequently equalled up the reps in practice between the three.

Reps in practice is one thing, but even now BJ has had hardly any snaps in the preseason games. McCoy pretty much single-handedly ate up all the snaps in the Vikings game so much so even the commentator was saying he was surprised McCoy was still playing into the 3rd. Eventually, BJ had minimal snaps and even worse for Wallace who played for like just over 2 minutes.
Share 49ersWebzone