LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

49ers Looking To Trade/Release Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Every year the zone has a favorite that will never clear waivers and he magically does. Teams aren't going to risk roster spots for an unproven 7th rounder. If he takes the 3rd spot great, if not we run a good chance of snagging him for the PS.

What if both Wallace and BJ ball out in the next game ? We are still forced to cut one of them because of McCoy ?! LOL. There is no way we have a chance in snagging BJ for the PS unless he refuses other offers like what Lockette did and see where he ended up.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Every year the zone has a favorite that will never clear waivers and he magically does. Teams aren't going to risk roster spots for an unproven 7th rounder. If he takes the 3rd spot great, if not we run a good chance of snagging him for the PS.

What if both Wallace and BJ ball out in the next game ? We are still forced to cut one of them because of McCoy ?! LOL. There is no way we have a chance in snagging BJ for the PS unless he refuses other offers like what Lockette did and see where he ended up.

No, not necessarily. The better they play, the better for the 49ers.

The Jets are hurting and hurting badly at quarterback. If both Daniels and Wallace play extremely well, the doors might be open for a trade with Jets for either Wallace or McCoy. A trade would at least bring us another pick, and one more pick in the upcoming draft would be positive.

I will not pretend to know what Harbaugh would want to do given that scenario. If the Jets wanted McCoy, they would have to pay more for him.

So, I hope that both Daniels and Wallace play lights out in our last preseason game.
  • buck
  • Veteran

If we cut Daniels and he is picked up by a team, he can not refuse to go to that team.

If he clears waivers, we could sign him to our practice squad. Once he is on our practice squad, he could then refuse an offer from another team.

There is a possibility that we are completely overestimating the value that other teams would place on Daniels. There is a decent chance that he would in fact clear waivers.

The next game will be the backup bowl. And is a quarter or two really that big of a sample size to say who can stay? The practice reps and what we don't see will matter more. Is a guy beating up players who will be out of a job in a week really that special?
I'm still crossing my fingers that Mccoy gets traded, even for a seventh.
  • buck
  • Veteran

The next game will be the backup bowl. And is a quarter or two really that big of a sample size to say who can stay? The practice reps and what we don't see will matter more. Is a guy beating up players who will be out of a job in a week really that special?

If Wallace or Daniels are marginally better than the competition, it would not mean much. On the other, if they dominate the game, then their respective value should increase.

Given the circus that is known as the NY Jets, my sense is that any quarterback that shows any value would be welcomed by their new general manager.

The better they play, the better for the 49ers.
Originally posted by buck:

If Wallace or Daniels are marginally better than the competition, it would not mean much. On the other, if they dominate the game, then their respective value should increase.

Given the circus that is known as the NY Jets, my sense is that any quarterback that shows any value would be welcomed by their new general manager.

The better they play, the better for the 49ers.

The jets aren't that smart
  • buck
  • Veteran
The jets aren't that smart

No, but they are entirely dysfunctional. The new general manager for the Jets will make the trade just to make life hard for Rex.

The Jets sow internal vindictiveness; the 49ers reap the benefits.

They are that stupid.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

The Jets are hurting and hurting badly at quarterback. If both Daniels and Wallace play extremely well, the doors might be open for a trade with Jets for either Wallace or McCoy. A trade would at least bring us another pick, and one more pick in the upcoming draft would be positive.

I will not pretend to know what Harbaugh would want to do given that scenario. If the Jets wanted McCoy, they would have to pay more for him.

So, I hope that both Daniels and Wallace play lights out in our last preseason game.

I am cool with that as long as Harbaugh is happy to change his mind 4 days after naming his #2 QB.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I am cool with that as long as Harbaugh is happy to change his mind 4 days after naming his #2 QB.

Harbaugh will do what he thinks is best for the team and I do not think there is any doubt about that.

If we trade McCoy to the Jets, we get a pick.

If we trade Wallace to the Jets, we get a pick.

Either way, the team gets an extra pick and I think that the extra pick would be useful.

Harbaugh could go with Kaepernick, McCoy and Daniels or he could opt for Kaepernick, Wallace, and Daniels.

Whatever choice he makes will be based upon his determination of what is best for the team.

The question is should we trust Harbaugh's capacity to make a well founded choice.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
If we cut Daniels and he is picked up by a team, he can not refuse to go to that team.

If he clears waivers, we could sign him to our practice squad. Once he is on our practice squad, he could then refuse an offer from another team.

There is a possibility that we are completely overestimating the value that other teams would place on Daniels. There is a decent chance that he would in fact clear waivers.

So, you can reject only after you have signed on to the PS right ?

Going back to the Jets, you do know they still have 2 more QBs right ? Not saying they are any good, but it does make you wonder why would you need 4 and still be out of QBs ?
  • buck
  • Veteran

So, you can reject only after you have signed on to the PS right ?

Going back to the Jets, you do know they still have 2 more QBs right ? Not saying they are any good, but it does make you wonder why would you need 4 and still be out of QBs ?

Yes. That is my understanding.

I think the Jets are the team that most needs a decent quarterback, but who knows. I really see them as dysfunctional.

Bottom line is that if we could trade either McCoy or Wallace, we would benefit with an extra draft pick.

Back to Harbaugh. The question is should we trust Harbaugh's capacity to make a well founded choice.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:55 AM ]
I'm still confused why everyone wants to dump McCoy so fast. He's similar to Alex in that he needs more time to figure stuff out. Harbaugh will make him a functional QB, he just needs more time.

Two years ago, Kap looked like crap in preseason and people thought he sucked. I guess people have a short leash based on the pain we had to go through with Alex, and that's totally understandable, who wants to go through that again. But my two cents is McCoy can develop into a decent backup.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Tolz looked bad and Harbs probably wanted another qb in to compete. Chances are Wallace gets cut and BJ grabs the 3rd spot or we cut both, roll with 2 qb's, and put BJ on the PS.

Put BJ in the PS ? LOL. The guy will never clear waivers.

What if Wallace balls out in the next game ? Or may be Harbaugh won't even give him the chance and cuts him before the game perhaps ?

Exactly. Not every team is looking to pick off the 9ers roster and not every team is cherishing a 7th round rookie QB the way us fans are lol.
  • buck
  • Veteran
@rascal

Back to Harbaugh. The question is should we trust Harbaugh's capacity to make a well founded choice.

[ Edited by buck on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:55 AM ]
[ Edited by buck on Aug 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone