There are 220 users in the forums

49ers Looking To Trade/Release Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by buck:
I still think keeping an open mind makes sense, don't you.

Wallace has not been cut, has he? Wallace might be better than McCoy, but at this point we really have not seen Wallace play.

If I remember correctly Harbaugh made the quarterbackwhoisnolonger here much better than merely serviceable.

My mind would have been much more open if Harbaugh hadn't named McCoy as the #2.

Sure, I would love to look at what Wallace could do. I just don't see why he had to make that announcement so soon. We are not going to keep 4 QBs, are we ?

I don't know what to make of it, unless it is some kind of a smokescreen in order to get McCoy traded, other than that he shouldn't be #2, no frigging way !!

Then who do you think #2 should be, Wallace....no freaking way, a 7th round pick because of a few good drives in preseason??
My mind would have been much more open if Harbaugh hadn't named McCoy as the #2.

Sure, I would love to look at what Wallace could do. I just don't see why he had to make that announcement so soon. We are not going to keep 4 QBs, are we ?

I don't know what to make of it, unless it is some kind of a smokescreen in order to get McCoy traded, other than that he shouldn't be #2, no frigging way !!

he is no worse then the other back ups. I dont want BJ (due to lack of experience) as 2 so Wallace or Mcoy is a toss up. Since one isnt clearly better then the other.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Tim Kawakami on Daniels. I would say this qualifies as a surprise.

-DANIELS: Very intriguing talent, but there was little chance Harbaugh was going with a late-round rookie as his main back-up to a still relatively inexperienced Kaepernick. There's just too much risk with that for a Super Bowl-starving team that might need a QB for 2 or 3 games–which might be 2 or 3 HUGE games–if Kaepernick gets dinged up at any point.

I don't think the 49ers go with three QBs on the 53-man roster, so I think Daniels will be waived next week and the 49ers will hope to bring him back on the practice squad.

Will another team grab him? Possibly, but they'd have to keep a spot on their final roster for a non-pocket QB that went in the 7th round and spent zero time in camp with any team but the 49ers.

Hard to see a huge demand for that, even by the Seahawks even just to screw around with the 49ers. But we'll see. I don't think the 49ers want to lose Daniels, though they'll probably have to risk it rather than go light at another position–and remember, this is a team going for a Super Bowl, so an extra special-teams LB or TE could be pretty important.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/08/26/harbaugh-picks-colt-mccoy-as-the-49ers-back-up-qb-that-was-the-plan-and-hes-sticking-to-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

I guess Tim K is trying to write something controversial to attract attention.

Sorry, this is so far off-base. If BJ gets cut, I would be shocked and it would be a huge mistake. BJ will be claimed in a jiffy without a question.
So what if they do. Doesnt mean he will lead anyone to the promised land.
The team is in no rush to groom a replacement starting QB. We have time to find tbe right guy to draft and develop.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Then who do you think #2 should be, Wallace....no freaking way, a 7th round pick because of a few good drives in preseason??

I haven't seen enough of Wallace, I will make my comment on Wallace once they actually give him some proper game time.

BJ still looks good even he only had a few minutes in the last game.

McCoy ? Let's see what you will say when he gets another pick in the next game. If he is the back-up, I will just have to hope and pray that Kap never goes down.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
he is no worse then the other back ups. I dont want BJ (due to lack of experience) as 2 so Wallace or Mcoy is a toss up. Since one isnt clearly better then the other.

The problem is we haven't even played Wallace properly and Harbaugh has already made the announcement that McCoy is #2.
Tim Kawakami on Daniels. I would say this qualifies as a surprise.

-DANIELS: Very intriguing talent, but there was little chance Harbaugh was going with a late-round rookie as his main back-up to a still relatively inexperienced Kaepernick. There's just too much risk with that for a Super Bowl-starving team that might need a QB for 2 or 3 games–which might be 2 or 3 HUGE games–if Kaepernick gets dinged up at any point.

I don't think the 49ers go with three QBs on the 53-man roster, so I think Daniels will be waived next week and the 49ers will hope to bring him back on the practice squad.

Will another team grab him? Possibly, but they'd have to keep a spot on their final roster for a non-pocket QB that went in the 7th round and spent zero time in camp with any team but the 49ers.

Hard to see a huge demand for that, even by the Seahawks even just to screw around with the 49ers. But we'll see. I don't think the 49ers want to lose Daniels, though they'll probably have to risk it rather than go light at another position–and remember, this is a team going for a Super Bowl, so an extra special-teams LB or TE could be pretty important.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/08/26/harbaugh-picks-colt-mccoy-as-the-49ers-back-up-qb-that-was-the-plan-and-hes-sticking-to-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

I guess Tim K is trying to write something controversial to attract attention.

Sorry, this is so far off-base. If BJ gets cut, I would be shocked and it would be a huge mistake. BJ will be claimed in a jiffy without a question.

Is he high? No way we cut Daniels. We carried Tolzien as a 3rd QB for 2 years and he's vastly inferior to Daniels. Now is not the time to carry 2 QBs.
I haven't seen enough of Wallace, I will make my comment on Wallace once they actually give him some proper game time.

BJ still looks good even he only had a few minutes in the last game.

McCoy ? Let's see what you will say when he gets another pick in the next game. If he is the back-up, I will just have to hope and pray that Kap never goes down.

That goes for any of the three.

We havent seen enough of Wallace yet you already hate the McCoy choice. There is no rule that the depth chart cant be changed later on. Come week 9 maybe BJ develops nicely and will supplant mccoy or wallace until then given his rookie status he can stay 3. Again neither is good but niether is worse then the other.

Also I havent been qble to watch the games but are this ints blatently his fault or could they have been a result of a bad route miscommunication great defense or what. There is more to it then just numbers. Also how does be bounce back. I seem to recall a certain QB tbrow not one not two but three ints in a very important game back in 81. Not that im saying he is as good just using as an example.
[ Edited by kingairta on Aug 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
That goes for any of the three.

We havent seen enough of Wallace yet you already hate the McCoy choice. There is no rule that the depth chart cant be changed later on. Come week 9 maybe BJ develops nicely and will supplant mccoy or wallace until then given his rookie status he can stay 3. Again neither is good but niether is worse then the other.

Also I havent been qble to watch the games but are this ints blatently his fault or could they have been a result of a bad route miscommunication great defense or what. There is more to it then just numbers. Also how does be bounce back. I seem to recall a certain QB tbrow not one not two but three ints in a very important game back in 81. Not that im saying he is as good just using as an example.

OK, let me ask you this. You are exactly right that we have not even seen Wallace. That is precisely the point, if that is the case why has McCoy already been named #2 then ? Sure, the depth chart could change further down the road. But, my question is this, are we going to keep 4 QBs ? Unless say Wallace balls out in the next game and Harbaugh changes his mind 4 days later and names Wallace the #2 and cuts/trades McCoy, you are not suggesting we are going to cut BJ, are you ? Or you believe we will keep 4 QBs ?
[ Edited by Rascal on Aug 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM ]

The problem is we haven't even played Wallace properly and Harbaugh has already made the announcement that McCoy is #2.

In Cleveland, McCoy and Wallace also competed and McCoy beat him out. Wallace was also completely out of football last year....yes, in a QB poor league, no team wanted this guy on their roster. Now that isn't even including the months that McCoy has spent learning this system and offense already, making him far more familiar and knowledgeable.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

In Cleveland, McCoy and Wallace also competed and McCoy beat him out. Wallace was also completely out of football last year....yes, in a QB poor league, no team wanted this guy on their roster. Now that isn't even including the months that McCoy has spent learning this system and offense already, making him far more familiar and knowledgeable.

If that is the case, why even bring him in ? I think some have argued here that Wallace was never given the chance cos the Browns saw McCoy as their new golden boy at the time. I rather not comment between the 2 until I see some proper action from Wallace.

Assuming we will never cut BJ especially after his performance in the Chiefs game, what would be the point to bring in Wallace according to your comment ? Unless you are saying we brought him in to compete with Tolzien, but bottomline it would mean we would have to keep 4 QBs. Do you believe we would keep 4 QBs ?
If that is the case, why even bring him in ? I think some have argued here that Wallace was never given the chance cos the Browns saw McCoy as their new golden boy at the time. I rather not comment between the 2 until I see some proper action from Wallace.

Assuming we will never cut BJ especially after his performance in the Chiefs game, what would be the point to bring in Wallace according to your comment ? Unless you are saying we brought him in to compete with Tolzien, but bottomline it would mean we would have to keep 4 QBs. Do you believe we would keep 4 QBs ?

Tolz looked bad and Harbs probably wanted another qb in to compete. Chances are Wallace gets cut and BJ grabs the 3rd spot or we cut both, roll with 2 qb's, and put BJ on the PS.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Tolz looked bad and Harbs probably wanted another qb in to compete. Chances are Wallace gets cut and BJ grabs the 3rd spot or we cut both, roll with 2 qb's, and put BJ on the PS.

Put BJ in the PS ? LOL. The guy will never clear waivers.

What if Wallace balls out in the next game ? Or may be Harbaugh won't even give him the chance and cuts him before the game perhaps ?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Put BJ in the PS ? LOL. The guy will never clear waivers.

What if Wallace balls out in the next game ? Or may be Harbaugh won't even give him the chance and cuts him before the game perhaps ?

Every year the zone has a favorite that will never clear waivers and he magically does. Teams aren't going to risk roster spots for an unproven 7th rounder. If he takes the 3rd spot great, if not we run a good chance of snagging him for the PS.
Share 49ersWebzone