There are 196 users in the forums

49ers Looking To Trade/Release Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Depth chart should be Kaep, McCoy, Daniels.

I don't see how Wallace is more valuable as a #3 than Daniels.

However if McCoy were to be traded....it should be Kaep, Wallace, Daniels
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by trizzil:
Against backups.

Throwing BJ up against real starters would be bad. Colt at least has real game time experience against D's like Pitt and Balt.

Seattle threw Wilson up against great D's his rookie season. look what he did..

That is a rare occurance. We will not get wins from BJ if we forced him on the field right now. He was a late rounder for a reason and will need to be polished.

So, McCoy will get us wins ? I doubt that very much. The truth is if you can play you can play. I never buy into this rookie argument. Loads of rookies QBs play in their first year. In fact, if you look at the Skins, Mike Shanahan would rather play Kurt Cousins over a veteran in Grossman after RG3 went down. Hey, Rex Grossman had played in a Super Bowl before you know ? LOL. So, there you go.

Yes Colt would get more wins compared to BJ. He won games in Cleveland and won't be rattled by s**t that would get to a rookie. And the truth is even if you can play you still have a lot to learn. We aren't talking about a highly drafted rookie getting serious reps, he's a 7th rounder getting the scraps. I trust a guy who played against 2 of the best D's twice a year instead of a rookie who was out the majority of his last college season and hasn't taken a real NFL snap.

You don't have to be a rookie to be rattled by sh*t. Alex Smith can get rattled by sh*t. Kirk Cousins wasn't a highly drafted QB, only a 4th rounder. If you want to talk about being rattled by sh*t, McCoy is the one who has thrown not 1, not 2, but 3 INTs in 3 games, man !! He didn't even play the whole game in those games. You can easily project a higher number of picks had he played the full game. You can't win games when you keep turning over the ball. If Mike Shanhan can play a rookie back-up over a Super Bowl QB, I would take my chances with BJ.
Against backups.

Throwing BJ up against real starters would be bad. Colt at least has real game time experience against D's like Pitt and Balt.

That is a rare occurance. We will not get wins from BJ if we forced him on the field right now. He was a late rounder for a reason and will need to be polished.

So, McCoy will get us wins ? I doubt that very much. The truth is if you can play you can play. I never buy into this rookie argument. Loads of rookies QBs play in their first year. In fact, if you look at the Skins, Mike Shanahan would rather play Kurt Cousins over a veteran in Grossman after RG3 went down. Hey, Rex Grossman had played in a Super Bowl before you know ? LOL. So, there you go.

Yes Colt would get more wins compared to BJ. He won games in Cleveland and won't be rattled by s**t that would get to a rookie. And the truth is even if you can play you still have a lot to learn. We aren't talking about a highly drafted rookie getting serious reps, he's a 7th rounder getting the scraps. I trust a guy who played against 2 of the best D's twice a year instead of a rookie who was out the majority of his last college season and hasn't taken a real NFL snap.

You don't have to be a rookie to be rattled by sh*t. Alex Smith can get rattled by sh*t. Kirk Cousins wasn't a highly drafted QB, only a 4th rounder. If you want to talk about being rattled by sh*t, McCoy is the one who has thrown not 1, not 2, but 3 INTs in 3 games, man !! He didn't even play the whole game in those games. You can easily project a higher number of picks had he played the full game. You can't win games when you keep turning over the ball. If Mike Shanhan can play a rookie back-up over a Super Bowl QB, I would take my chances with BJ.

Well it's good to know that all rookies should start because Shanhan played one, one time. Tell me how Geno works out this year...or 90% of all the rookie qb's.
No way BJ is ready to be the #2 guy. Give him a year or two in our system and then we can talk. Gotta remember that BJ is seeing really vanilla defenses out there that aren't gameplanning for him. I think a year or two as the #3 will do him good.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Against backups.

Well it's good to know that all rookies should start because Shanhan played one, one time. Tell me how Geno works out this year...or 90% of all the rookie qb's.

OK, let's see, apart from Geno Smith's issues, we have RG3, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Brandon Weeden, Tannerhill, the Bills might have wanted to start EJ Manuel had he not get injured and by the way Shanahan didn't just play Cousins once, it was in fact a playoff game plus he was also the starter of the preseason until he himself got hurt. So, plenty of examples there. The idea of sitting behind somone for years don't mean a lot, at the end of the day when you eventually start you are still going to have the jitters. Not until you actually play you just won't know what may happen. Kap was never a great practice player neither. There is only one way to find out and that is to play the person.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
No way BJ is ready to be the #2 guy. Give him a year or two in our system and then we can talk. Gotta remember that BJ is seeing really vanilla defenses out there that aren't gameplanning for him. I think a year or two as the #3 will do him good.

I am not saying they will, but if they play McCoy instead, good luck to all of us.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Crap, any chance of a trade with the Bills have disappeared now, I didn't know they have just signed Matt Leinart. Damn !!
OK, let's see, apart from Geno Smith's issues, we have RG3, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Brandon Weeden, Tannerhill, the Bills might have wanted to start EJ Manuel had he not get injured and by the way Shanahan didn't just play Cousins once, it was in fact a playoff game plus he was also the starter of the preseason until he himself got hurt. So, plenty of examples there. The idea of sitting behind somone for years don't mean a lot, at the end of the day when you eventually start you are still going to have the jitters. Not until you actually play you just won't know what may happen. Kap was never a great practice player neither. There is only one way to find out and that is to play the person.

How many 1st round qb's did you just name? How many 7th round qb's did you name? When you get 70% or more of the practice snaps you're in a position to do better. BJ probably gets 10-15% of decent snaps during practice. You think that is enough to warrant the top backup spot meaning he needs to be ready by game 1.....put down the pipe.
Ian Rapoport heard wrong. Jumped to conclusions when Wallace when signed. McCoy has been named the #2 QB. Doesn't mean he's immune to a trade, but we won't release him.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I am not saying they will, but if they play McCoy instead, good luck to all of us.

I hear ya but Daniels could even look exponentially worse. At least Colt has experience.

• Rascal
  • Veteran

How many 1st round qb's did you just name? How many 7th round qb's did you name? When you get 70% or more of the practice snaps you're in a position to do better. BJ probably gets 10-15% of decent snaps during practice. You think that is enough to warrant the top backup spot meaning he needs to be ready by game 1.....put down the pipe.

Don't get caught up with 1st and 7th round. Alex Smith was the No. 1 overall pick even, so what ?! You don't want me to pull the Brady card, do you ? As to the % split of snaps, after seeing the crappy performances from McCoy and Tolzien, that was why Harbaugh equalled up the snaps for BJ.

As a QB, the most basic thing you need to do is to protect the football. Even if you are no stud, you can still be an OK QB if you don't turnover the ball. Most crappy QBs panic under pressure and force throws thus resulting in picks.If you are asking me to put down the pipe, I don't know what you are smoking niether, 3 picks and 0 TD in 3 games ?! Really ?! That's the guy you want to lead our team ? Oh man. LOL.
I find this tread funny cause on the front page it says Jim names colt number 2 Qb! Colt isn't the only qb looking bad for us right now, he's mainly going against 1st team defense, why bj and tolz were going against guys who will not even make the teams there are on.
I find it funny how you guys are arguing Colts experience as a deciding factor when his experience was terrible, he still looks terrible and......wait for it......he was replaced by a rookie!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I find this tread funny cause on the front page it says Jim names colt number 2 Qb! Colt isn't the only qb looking bad for us right now, he's mainly going against 1st team defense, why bj and tolz were going against guys who will not even make the teams there are on.

Scott and Colt played the whole 1st contest vs 2s and 3s and they didn't do diddly poo. BJ came in and tore it up relatively speaking. That said, I think Colt needs a LOT more time in this system and he can be serviceable this year. I hope we play Colt 2 quarters again next week and BJ should be the number 3 as he gets time on task this year as a 3. I think BJ should then be in position to compete for 2 this upcoming offseason
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Scoots:
There is no way McCoy has the strongest arm of the backups ... more likely the weakest.

There is too much McCoy hate, but he hasn't been good.

Looks like it's going to be McCoy #2, Daniels #3 ... but we'll know in a week.

About the only pass McCoy threw against the Vikings was the slant. That led to the LB trapping him for the interception. I don't see how he'll be successful if that's all he can throw. But Wallace probably won't be ready to take over a game by the Green Bay starter. Daniels probably won't be ready either. So we may be stuck with McCoy. I hope Harbaugh is setting up McCoy for a trade by naming him the backup. I doubt it though.
Share 49ersWebzone