LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 194 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Call me a bad fan, or whatever, but I never once imagined this team beating the Seahawks in Seattle without Crabtree and our team playing 100%.

The only problem I have with this loss is Reid, Ian Williams (possible broken ankle), McDondald, and Davis being injured.

Happened the last 2 times we went up there. We lose and come out banged up. Heck even in the win in 2011 KW and Delanie got hurt and it greatly affected our playoff run as KW had cobwebs and Delanie was out of sync vs NYG. Then the year after we lose Manningham and this showed up in the Super Bowl as Crabtree was the only WR to do anything of note. At least we get these injuries out of the way early. Maybe we can make a NYG run towards the end of the season
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
People need to realize that the Seahawks are a team that is built perfectly to beat us, a stacked defensive line full of pass rushers and a ridiculous secondary that can be left on an island and lock down receivers. Combine that with that f**king stadium impeding our offense from getting in a rhythm, and you get this.

I find some comfort knowing that our defense somewhat shut Wilson and Lynch down. Wilson didn't do s**t all game, and Lynch averaged under 4 yards a carry. He was stuffed more often than not. And the best thing about that was THAT WAS IN SEATTLE, and we MIGHT not have to play there again this year.

Offenses always struggle when playing in Seattle, so I saw this one coming. Obviously I wish we played a little better, but Seattle is a great team (second best in the NFL IMO) and they are practically unbeatable while playing in Seattle.

If it comes down to it, having the tie-breaker over them at the end of the year is going to be crucial. Winning in SF when we play them is a must, because I will have nightmares the entire week leading up to a playoff game in Seattle.

We'll be fine. People who are freaking out need to realize that winning this game would've been an incredible upset, and realize that our defense exposed their offense and made it way less imposing, at least from my perspective.

From what I've seen the last few games, I think defenses have figured Wilson out. He's getting sacked more and more often (3x vs. GB, 2x vs. CAR, 4x vs. SF).

Frankly speaking, without Lynch or Wilson's scrambling, they don't win on offense. Wilson took some brutal hits so far this season. He's got youth on his side, but the question is, how many hits can he take with sub-par pass protection?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
HaRo have no answer for Seattle's gap-based defense. They have seen it 5 times and they still make no adjustments. You can't block for the run if you can't get an angle on the defenders. You might bull doze someone out of the hole on occasion but you won't make a living doing it. Mangini needs to step up and show Jim why his offense can't run the ball against it.

Which is why I don't understand why Hunter didn't get any action. I love Frank to death, but we need to mix in Hunter because he has more burst to attack those gaps before they close. At least for a change of pace. We only run Hunter to the edges, and Seattle sniffed that out with ease on his first play. Too obvious.

The problem is, Seattle lines up a defender in every run gap. It doesn't matter who the running back is, he can't run where there is no hole.

The only way you get Seattle out of that defense is to put a group of good pass receivers in a spread formation and force them to move one of those 8 guys back out of the box.

Last year the Seahawks spread the field, forcing the 49ers to defend the space, and then ran Lynch up the open gaps. They did pretty much the same thing again tonight.

I was wondering about this tonight. It seems early on the 49ers seemed intent on trying to pound Seattle and it was failing as Seattle always had more guys at the point of attack than the 49ers. As the game wore on I was wondering to myself why not spread the field? My thought on it was that Kaep was the entire offense tonight to giving him space would seem to be a good thing. Further, perhaps the WR1-CB1 and WR2-CB2 matchups were heavily slanted Seattle's way, but what about the 3's and 4's?

Anyhow. I wish I could say this game is one to forget but it is not because it is Seattle and they did what they always do, what everyone knew they would do, and we had no answer.

A big part of it is that the 49ers do not have ANY WRs that scare a decent secondary. NONE. Boldin was good against inexperienced safeties last week but against a big strong young guy tonight, he had nothing. The 49ers need someone much quicker than Bolding to force Sherman to play him, thereby leaving Boldin to be able to compete on a strength basis.

Until/unless Manningham and Crabtree come back at a high level, this team will continue to struggle against Seattle and any other team with a good secondary.

Still a playoff team but looking more like a wild card team right now.

We played against a team that is arguably the best in the NFL. They just happen to be in our division. I stated in another thread that they are better until we prove otherwise, however, they still have to win the division which they won't do unless they can win on the road. I will say that I agree we need another receiving threat. Not even necessary against most teams, but when facing the NFL's best secondary they have us outgunned.
HaRo have no answer for Seattle's gap-based defense. They have seen it 5 times and they still make no adjustments. You can't block for the run if you can't get an angle on the defenders. You might bull doze someone out of the hole on occasion but you won't make a living doing it. Mangini needs to step up and show Jim why his offense can't run the ball against it.

Which is why I don't understand why Hunter didn't get any action. I love Frank to death, but we need to mix in Hunter because he has more burst to attack those gaps before they close. At least for a change of pace. We only run Hunter to the edges, and Seattle sniffed that out with ease on his first play. Too obvious.

The problem is, Seattle lines up a defender in every run gap. It doesn't matter who the running back is, he can't run where there is no hole.

The only way you get Seattle out of that defense is to put a group of good pass receivers in a spread formation and force them to move one of those 8 guys back out of the box.

Last year the Seahawks spread the field, forcing the 49ers to defend the space, and then ran Lynch up the open gaps. They did pretty much the same thing again tonight.

I was wondering about this tonight. It seems early on the 49ers seemed intent on trying to pound Seattle and it was failing as Seattle always had more guys at the point of attack than the 49ers. As the game wore on I was wondering to myself why not spread the field? My thought on it was that Kaep was the entire offense tonight to giving him space would seem to be a good thing. Further, perhaps the WR1-CB1 and WR2-CB2 matchups were heavily slanted Seattle's way, but what about the 3's and 4's?

Anyhow. I wish I could say this game is one to forget but it is not because it is Seattle and they did what they always do, what everyone knew they would do, and we had no answer.

A big part of it is that the 49ers do not have ANY WRs that scare a decent secondary. NONE. Boldin was good against inexperienced safeties last week but against a big strong young guy tonight, he had nothing. The 49ers need someone much quicker than Bolding to force Sherman to play him, thereby leaving Boldin to be able to compete on a strength basis.

Until/unless Manningham and Crabtree come back at a high level, this team will continue to struggle against Seattle and any other team with a good secondary.

If I were coach, I would tell my WRs to initiate contact and punch the SEA DBs and maul them every play out so that we bring the action then release and not the other way around. If contact is allowed within 5 yards then I will initiate it. Beat their a$$es up before they beat mine
  • dj43

Amazing how something so simple can go unnoticed by a professional coaching staff. I don't get it.

Harbaugh sees it. He is just too stubborn to change.

At some point in the broadcast tonight, one of the announcers compared the styles of Carroll and Harbaugh. They characterized Harbaugh as being "old school" football. That description fits. He is Bo Schembechler reincarnate.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Final thoughts:

The game is over. Nothing we can do but sit and wonder. I am no longer worried about the Seahawks as we have enough problems.

1.) Eluded to a great deal is the question of the Tank. We must get Frank going. I am not ready, but part of me is concerned that it might be true, to call it all downhill for Frank. But I do wonder if he is only going to struggle further against elite defenses. I hope I am wrong.

2.) At times, I worry about our pass rush, but then Aldon does something spectacular and I quit worrying.

3.) Is Nnamdi a liability? It seems people are getting some plays on him. It has only been two games, though.

4. Get the LSU corndog, Reid, back on the field please

5. The hit on Ian Williams was cheap. I will never think it was not cheap.
6. Kaep got flustered and exposed a bit. The pick by Sherman is the best example. I believe Kaep learns. Again, he will need to have his Steve Young moment. "Get the monkey off his back".

7. Outside of Boldin and VD, who we got?

8. Where the f**k was Hunter?

9. The 49ers do not win games after long breaks. 0-2 in the Past 20 months. Next time it happens, I'll go ape s**t.

10. Officially all games matter. Unofficially, we need to kick the s**t out of everyone and Seattle at home.

11. Penalties are beyond ridiculous.

12. The crowd noise in Seattle is impressive, but do not sleep on the Seahawks.
[ Edited by fropwns on Sep 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

We played against a team that is arguably the best in the NFL. They just happen to be in our division. I stated in another thread that they are better until we prove otherwise, however, they still have to win the division which they won't do unless they can win on the road. I will say that I agree we need another receiving threat. Not even necessary against most teams, but when facing the NFL's best secondary they have us outgunned.

This might be why we have to keep Crabtree as Roddy White and draft a Julio Jones with all of our draft ammo. We have to get that defense out of the box and into coverage. We need WRs that teams can fear
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Zone blocking would work but not when the OL is outmanned the way Seattle does it. They kept 8 men on the LOS at what seemed like 95% of the time. Sooner or later, you have to force them out of putting 8 men in the box.

DING...DING...DING....when Roman finally figures this out, maybe they'll get somewhere. 49ers did little to force Seattle out of their comfort zone and 8 man boxes.

How do you do this? The only way I know how is by having a legit #1 and #2.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Zone blocking would work but not when the OL is outmanned the way Seattle does it. They kept 8 men on the LOS at what seemed like 95% of the time. Sooner or later, you have to force them out of putting 8 men in the box.

DING...DING...DING....when Roman finally figures this out, maybe they'll get somewhere. 49ers did little to force Seattle out of their comfort zone and 8 man boxes.

Like ATL has?
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If I were coach, I would tell my WRs to initiate contact and punch the SEA DBs and maul them every play out so that we bring the action then release and not the other way around. If contact is allowed within 5 yards then I will initiate it. Beat their a$$es up before they beat mine

Yea but Moore, Patton, and KW would get knocked on their ass. Boldin/Baldwin are literallt the only guys that can do this.

Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
People need to realize that the Seahawks are a team that is built perfectly to beat us, a stacked defensive line full of pass rushers and a ridiculous secondary that can be left on an island and lock down receivers. Combine that with that f**king stadium impeding our offense from getting in a rhythm, and you get this.

I find some comfort knowing that our defense somewhat shut Wilson and Lynch down. Wilson didn't do s**t all game, and Lynch averaged under 4 yards a carry. He was stuffed more often than not. And the best thing about that was THAT WAS IN SEATTLE, and we MIGHT not have to play there again this year.

Offenses always struggle when playing in Seattle, so I saw this one coming. Obviously I wish we played a little better, but Seattle is a great team (second best in the NFL IMO) and they are practically unbeatable while playing in Seattle.

If it comes down to it, having the tie-breaker over them at the end of the year is going to be crucial. Winning in SF when we play them is a must, because I will have nightmares the entire week leading up to a playoff game in Seattle.

We'll be fine. People who are freaking out need to realize that winning this game would've been an incredible upset, and realize that our defense exposed their offense and made it way less imposing, at least from my perspective.

Gonna end my night in agreement with this post.

peace!

agreed with all of this
Like ATL has?

Like a resigned Crab and 1st round WR. Lets sign a guard instead though.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Aaron Rodgers: At Seattle 2012: 223 yards, ZERO TD's, 81 Rating... The best QB in the NFL.
[ Edited by Jcool on Sep 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM ]

Yea but Moore, Patton, and KW would get knocked on their ass. Boldin/Baldwin are literallt the only guys that can do this.

Yes. Put them out there with Vance and VD and beat them up
  • dj43

...and that is the problem.

If Jenkins had lived up to his draft position and Crabtree were healthy, Bolding would be an awesome #3. However, as it is now, we have a #3 trying to be a #1, and he has never been that. Not Boldin's fault. He can burn an inexperienced player but playoff teams don't have inexperienced players in the secondary.
Share 49ersWebzone