There are 223 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Seattle seems to have the 49er's numbers. This is the first time I see 49ers D-line get pushed around - even in the nickle. The 9ers got beat at the line on both sides of the ball. No tricks or gimmicks.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
not quite possibly, they do have the best secondary. Along with the best D
Our dline is better and our CBs held their own. We just clearly and miserable couldnt match up against their secondary. WE have to keep Crab. I'm sorry it may not be cheap but he's a centerpiece for Kaep.

thats great that our dline is better, or that we have all pro LBs. But the stats show they are the best D since last year
I'm worried about Gore

2 games, 60 yards

I wanted to ease into Lattimore but another 2 games like this and they will say he is done.
No mojo. You could feel it right away.

Off day for everybody.
Originally posted by verb1der:
To be honest, the offensive game plan was completely opposite from what I expected. I thought this would be the game where we rely more on the running game, using Gore, Hunter, and Dixon. I'm beginning to think that's the thing of the past now, and 49ers are just a spread/option team.

wont break .500 if that is the idea
Originally posted by father49er:
Seattle seems to have the 49er's numbers. This is the first time I see 49ers D-line get pushed around - even in the nickle. The 9ers got beat at the line on both sides of the ball. No tricks or gimmicks.

Our defense showed up dude. They played a great 1st half. The flood gates opened up in the 2nd half when our offense continued to s**t bricks. I don't blame the D for breaking, they were put in s**tty situations all game.
Originally posted by father49er:

the d line actually played well for 3 quarters, our offense was so completely inept it was a matter of time before they poured it on
our team got our asses handed to them BAD.

But for the first time in a while, the D played rather well. I'm still waiting for them to dominate a team...but this may be a good start.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I'm worried about Gore

2 games, 60 yards

I wanted to ease into Lattimore but another 2 games like this and they will say he is done.

If this were somehow the case then I feel truly sad for Gore because we had 2nd and 5 from the goal line and he had over 115 yards rushing on 19 carries and we didn't give him a chance and lost out on the chip.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
HaRo have no answer for Seattle's gap-based defense. They have seen it 5 times and they still make no adjustments. You can't block for the run if you can't get an angle on the defenders. You might bull doze someone out of the hole on occasion but you won't make a living doing it. Mangini needs to step up and show Jim why his offense can't run the ball against it.

Which is why I don't understand why Hunter didn't get any action. I love Frank to death, but we need to mix in Hunter because he has more burst to attack those gaps before they close. At least for a change of pace. We only run Hunter to the edges, and Seattle sniffed that out with ease on his first play. Too obvious.

The problem is, Seattle lines up a defender in every run gap. It doesn't matter who the running back is, he can't run where there is no hole.

The only way you get Seattle out of that defense is to put a group of good pass receivers in a spread formation and force them to move one of those 8 guys back out of the box.

Last year the Seahawks spread the field, forcing the 49ers to defend the space, and then ran Lynch up the open gaps. They did pretty much the same thing again tonight.

Not really. There is a way but it would be difficult. It would require our OL to zone block for two games a year.

This is where you remember Young to Rice, and Montana to everybody on the field praying they don't turn around and the ball is there.

Kaep and this team need to get fun again.
The problem is, Seattle lines up a defender in every run gap. It doesn't matter who the running back is, he can't run where there is no hole.

The only way you get Seattle out of that defense is to put a group of good pass receivers in a spread formation and force them to move one of those 8 guys back out of the box.

Last year the Seahawks spread the field, forcing the 49ers to defend the space, and then ran Lynch up the open gaps. They did pretty much the same thing again tonight.

Amazing how something so simple can go unnoticed by a professional coaching staff. I don't get it.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
HaRo have no answer for Seattle's gap-based defense. They have seen it 5 times and they still make no adjustments. You can't block for the run if you can't get an angle on the defenders. You might bull doze someone out of the hole on occasion but you won't make a living doing it. Mangini needs to step up and show Jim why his offense can't run the ball against it.

Which is why I don't understand why Hunter didn't get any action. I love Frank to death, but we need to mix in Hunter because he has more burst to attack those gaps before they close. At least for a change of pace. We only run Hunter to the edges, and Seattle sniffed that out with ease on his first play. Too obvious.

I was wondering about this tonight. It seems early on the 49ers seemed intent on trying to pound Seattle and it was failing as Seattle always had more guys at the point of attack than the 49ers. As the game wore on I was wondering to myself why not spread the field? My thought on it was that Kaep was the entire offense tonight to giving him space would seem to be a good thing. Further, perhaps the WR1-CB1 and WR2-CB2 matchups were heavily slanted Seattle's way, but what about the 3's and 4's?

Anyhow. I wish I could say this game is one to forget but it is not because it is Seattle and they did what they always do, what everyone knew they would do, and we had no answer.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Seattle just beat up the 49ers and they deserve credit. Noise didn't seem like it was as much a factor as in past games to be honest, the 49ers just got beat up on offense tonight. Gore looks incredibly slow out there but it is hard to pin much on him yet as the o-line just wasn't able to open up any holes. I don't know if that's scheme or if they just got beat in their assignments.

I think people need to lay off Sherman, the guy is a beast.

Given the "fish out of water" look of the offense tonight, I'm almost wondering if the problem was scheme. What they were doing just wasn't putting anybody in positions to succeed. One example from a layman might be the complete absence of bunching receivers.

49ers management/coaching staff are going to be busy this week.

Sherman is a beast! Really? He held on almost every play as well as the all the db in Seattle backfield. Every time they showed him he had his arms around Boldin. This has been going on for a while and the league needs to address it.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
To be honest, the offensive game plan was completely opposite from what I expected. I thought this would be the game where we rely more on the running game, using Gore, Hunter, and Dixon. I'm beginning to think that's the thing of the past now, and 49ers are just a spread/option team.

I wonder if our coaching staff didn't have much confidence in our running game against Seattle's run defense. Also our pass offense was so conservative that it was basically toothless.
Share 49ersWebzone