LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Opponents focused on the Pistol...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
It's like combination punching in boxing.

We run it down their throats and then pistol whip them.

Cool, I like pistol whipping teams. Just like Wyatt Earp!
Kaepernick performed a design run out of the pistol formation less than 5% of the time last season. I don't see that going up this year. If anything, I see it going down. I think they'll be running the formation more or less depending upon who they're playing. What I think is that they're going to go with Wallace and Daniels as the backups and if, god forbid, Kaepernick goes down for any length of time, they'll lean hard on the pistol with those backups.
If there is a base anything its with the personnel package i.e.the 22 look (two tight ends, two RBs).
What we will do if these idiots know anything is run the football behind this behemoth OL! Yes we can run read option plays or line up in the pistol but we aren't limited to this nor do we do this the majority of the time. We happen to have a very diverse offense and teams have to account for any and everything. Good luck stopping us
There is a blueprint to stop the 49ers offense, according to Seahawks fans. Based on the 2nd meeting last year.
Originally posted by verb1der:
There is a blueprint to stop the 49ers offense, according to Seahawks fans. Based on the 2nd meeting last year.

smithbros needing surgery? they better hope they have a backup plan

The blueprint is the seahawk fans lol, on a neutral field Seattle isn't that scary.
GB was not prepared for Kaep's amazing throws that playoff game.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Pistol isn't an offense, it's a formation.

how many times do we have to go over this?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Kaepernick performed a design run out of the pistol formation less than 5% of the time last season. I don't see that going up this year. If anything, I see it going down. I think they'll be running the formation more or less depending upon who they're playing. What I think is that they're going to go with Wallace and Daniels as the backups and if, god forbid, Kaepernick goes down for any length of time, they'll lean hard on the pistol with those backups.

i agree with you. Pistol will be used very seldom - likely only when a weakness is sensed with another team.
i swear that Harbaugh wants Kap to be straight passer, with the gift of running when needed and the occasional trick play or series.

Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

i agree with you. Pistol will be used very seldom - likely only when a weakness is sensed with another team.
i swear that Harbaugh wants Kap to be straight passer, with the gift of running when needed and the occasional trick play or series.

Yup. We need to have multiple dimensions to our offense. If something isn't working, we can adjust our scheme.

Their blueprint:

1) Block field goals.
2) Return the blocked field goals for touchdowns.
3) When in redzone, dive at players knees and injure them, forcing them to drop the ball.
4) Wait for Delanie Walker to fumble in redzone.
5) Intercept Kaepernick in redzone.

In other words, rely on luck more than talent. Similar to their "fail Mary" strategy of football excellence. Everyone knows it takes a lot of talent to lose most of your road games, and then heave footballs up in the air that are intercepted and then declared touchdowns in your home games.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Obviously, opponents now have films on Kaepernick and the Pistol offense, so it stands to reason that some teams may be better equipped to face it.

But who says the Niners will be operating exclusively out of the type of offense?

I think we all were pleasantly surprised by Kaepernicks pocket presence and accuracy last year, so relying on a more traditional offense this year (if need be) isn't an issue. But the beauty of the Pistol is the flexibility it provides. Even on plays that are not read options, defenses will still have to respect the possibility of a straight up handoff or Kaepernick breaking the pocket. And inevitably, at some point late in games when fatigue is a factor for the defense, the Pistol will result in some big plays.

The wildcard moreso is the WRs (naturally), but you don't need All Pros out wide to move the football. I liken the Niners offense to the early 2000 Chiefs: strong running game with Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, top tier TE in Gonzalez and so-so WRs in Eddie Kennison and...? But Kaepernick is the difference maker and if can stay healthy and build upon last year, the offense will remain a matchup problem for defenses.

I agree with everything said here. I think that the real difference is that Colin can pass from the pocket. Teams that attempt to focus on the pistol formation will be surprised. It's his big arm and size that separates Colin for RGIII and Wilson. Interesting question: if RGIII was worth a two and three first round picks, what is Kaep worth?
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Pistol isn't an offense, it's a formation.

how many times do we have to go over this?
Yes then it's Walsh's west coast formation? We lined up in the same formation in the 80s on almost every play.
Share 49ersWebzone