LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

So.....a receiver coming back from a Torn ACL is our Deep Threat???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Who cares
Originally posted by 9erReign:
I don't get the hard on for Lockette. He sucks, get over it.

You are not familiar with the patented Webzone preseason hard on yet?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by cory4903:
With that being said I agree that the FO could have done a better job at addressing this.

It sucks. We had no idea Crabs would injure his Achilles before we drafted Patton. f we had the injury before the draft, I'm sure they would of drafted a WR earlier.

Imagine, Crabs and Boldin starting healthy, Williams, Patton, Mario when he is back, and a high pick, maybe Hunter from Tennessee. But we didn't have a clue it was happening. And no good WRs on free agent market either. We weren't gonna spend 60M on Harvin, Wallace, or 40M for Greg Jennings.

Especially when he needed to worry about extending some, like Anthony Davis, Justin Smith, and down the line hope for Crabs.

thought it would be Hunter or Tank. I preferred Tank and we got him. When he gets healthy and on the field we will all know that he was the best choice. We had a good draft considering both immediate need and long term roster building. We filled needs at FS TE and DL then we got a WR, RB, 2 DL etc. for the future. Plus we might have found a decent QB to develop
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Patton gonna shine!
Lockette = Marcus Maxwell
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
#ChadHallGetsOpen

I think this is a very undervalued statement for most on the zone.

Hopefully he has improved mentally in learning the system pretty well, because if so, he already proved he can get downfield, and he has good hands
Just because we dont have a deep threat doesn't mean we wont stretch the field... We are a power running team. Defenses will cheat up to protect against that. Then thru brilliant play designs we will gash people to death. The whole reason we didn't overspend on WRs (which i disagree with), i think, is because Harbaugh is that confident about play design. And Kaps accuracy.

There were plenty of pass plays last year where just about everyone was open. Our fast guys, our slow guys, our old guys (Randy!) People where open. We'll get yac by design, not skill.

That just means we'll be good, instead of great at WR. But just good enough to get back to the Super bowl, i think
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Aug 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
According to Boldin, both Moore and Williams are valid deep threats. Also, Baldwin is evidently a deep threat. But, I'm sorry Lockette didn't work out because he definitely could have been a deep threat.

As far as Seattle is concerned, Davis, Baldwin, Moore and Williams all ran much faster 40's than everyone in the Seattle secondary. The Seattle secondary is not fast. Browner is about 4.67 and Sherman is 4.55. They're getting away with a lot of grabbing and holding. If refs start calling that or if other teams find ways to get around and away from them, they won't be nearly as effective as they were last season.

They don't have to be fast because 49ers receivers haven't done jack against press coverage for a couple years now. I think a lot of what is happening with the 49ers receivers has to do with poor coaching of the receivers themselves. Jerry and John weren't super fast and they were not overly large men but they got open by running ankle breaking routes and could get off the line. These guys don't seem like they can do either so when those Seahack thugs press them it becomes an issue of just adding pressure to the pocket and we get games like we had in Seattle late last year or games like we had in New Orleans in February.
Mario when healthy is also a possible deep threat, he's got some wiggle to get open down field. Kyle seems to be looking fine nothing slowing down his progress for week 1 return. Than we have VD who's a freak of nature. We also have Baldwin and Moore. All would be better targets downfield than a 40 year old moss was last season.
Chad Hall 2013 = 7-11

He is always open. Last WR to get a spot.

Originally posted by LVJay:
Patton gonna shine!

Haven't seen it yet, but have the same feeling. C'mon, Kid. Show us what you got.
I really would be surprised if chad hall did get cut he has been our most productive reciever this preseason and #he gets open I really hope he makes the team and a impact and also have a good feeling about patten
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
We will have to rely on Vernon and Baldwin and may be Moore for that deep threat. Since Lockette has now been cut, may be we will keep Osgood, aside from ST perhaps he could catch a deep ball from time to time ? I don't know, we will have to see. Anything is possible at this point, it all depends who gets cut and who stays.
We don't seem to have one now however one may develop.

That said, we're still a run first team which will open up many opportunities.

Just like this past FA/draft when we needed a DLine rotation; Trent went and really bolstered the DLine. Next season I see him doing the same w/WR.

For this season, we'll still get to the SBowl and win it. Randy wasn't a deep threat although at times he'd draw double coverage. He was a shadow of his former self.

Someone will emerge and either cover that base or partially cover it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
moore is a deep threat, we have seen vernon is a deep threat, actually i do not care if it is a ten yard gain or 60 yard gain, i just want us to keep the ball, move the ball, impose our will on teams, and score touchdowns. How it gets done matters little to me.
Share 49ersWebzone