There are 174 users in the forums

So.....a receiver coming back from a Torn ACL is our Deep Threat???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
who wasn't even our deep threat when he was healthy?

I like Kyle...love how shifty he is, but I don't think a defense will be worried about him stretching a defense.

So Vernon will be a decoy again huh?

Although some felt Randy was a non-factor last season, defenses were still keeping a Safety over the top on him, opening up underneath routes for our other receivers. Heck Lockette was doing a good job drawing PIs this preseason, just with the threat of his speed.

when we traded A.J. I thought it was because the team felt comfortable with Lockette being able to stretch a defense here and there.

Kap is an accurate QB, but I don't see our receivers separating from defenses like Seattle and other good secondaries. I'm sure we will get those 20 yard passes, but I don't think we have anyone who scares the defense besides Vernon. Kap is going to have to be even more accurate this season, imo.

edit- ok before some jump to conclusions like "OMG LOCKETTE SUCKS AJ SUCKS, you think they are GReAT????"

I'm just disappointed we didn't address this issue this season, especially when we let Randy go.....I thought for sure they had something lined up.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM ]
Lockette is a 27 year old project, never has stuck on a 53 man roster, he wouldn't of made it. And if he did he would be cut for Mario to come back.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Can this diatribe not go in an existing thread?

what was the plan going into this season? What is the plan going into week 1?
VD
I'd say the ACL injury isnt the worst think Kyle has had to come back from...
I would say Baldwin has the most potential to potentially(lol) fill that roll.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Lockette is a 27 year old project, never has stuck on a 53 man roster, he wouldn't of made it. And if he did he would be cut for Mario to come back.

This. Lockette is a tremendous athlete, lousy football player. You cant keep being a project forever, at some point you have to be productive, Lockette never was, but if they ever have a celebrity track meet, im sure theyll give Lockette a call.
According to Boldin, both Moore and Williams are valid deep threats. Also, Baldwin is evidently a deep threat. But, I'm sorry Lockette didn't work out because he definitely could have been a deep threat.

As far as Seattle is concerned, Davis, Baldwin, Moore and Williams all ran much faster 40's than everyone in the Seattle secondary. The Seattle secondary is not fast. Browner is about 4.67 and Sherman is 4.55. They're getting away with a lot of grabbing and holding. If refs start calling that or if other teams find ways to get around and away from them, they won't be nearly as effective as they were last season.
  • Jiks
#ChadHallGetsOpen
Boldin isn't a Wallace burn them for a 75 yard TD but he is more than capable of catching a jump ball deep down field as we all saw first hand last year. I know we have been missing a Wallace type for a long time but nothing wrong with Boldin's way. Also, Vernon as you mentioned... Williams should catch some more this year. Patton is also great at locating the ball in the air and adjusting; he is more than capable of catching a deep ball. We will see what we have in Baldwin as well. Would be nice to have a Wallace type but nothing wrong with the way we play. Not every team chucks the ball down field like the Packers and Saints.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM ]

Originally posted by natrone06:
I would say Baldwin has the most potential to potentially(lol) fill that roll.

I guess that can be the case if he starts MegaTroning CBs...then safeties might have to roll over.

but speed wise, I'm still worried. He is not slow and he is not above average...he is pretty fast for his size. But I don't know if he can get speed separation. But hopefully he can be, but you can understand why I would not be that confident it will work out.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM ]
Is a deep threat really a must? I mean, we did go to the Superbowl without one.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
According to Boldin, both Moore and Williams are valid deep threats. Also, Baldwin is evidently a deep threat. But, I'm sorry Lockette didn't work out because he definitely could have been a deep threat.

As far as Seattle is concerned, Davis, Baldwin, Moore and Williams all ran much faster 40's than everyone in the Seattle secondary. The Seattle secondary is not fast. Browner is about 4.67 and Sherman is 4.55. They're getting away with a lot of grabbing and holding. If refs start calling that or if other teams find ways to get around and away from them, they won't be nearly as effective as they were last season.

Baldwin is tall and a long strider, it takes him a bit to get up to full speed but when he does, he certainly can get downfield in a hurry and does well making contested catches, hes definitely a potential vertical threat.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Is a deep threat really a must? I mean, we did go to the Superbowl without one.

THIS! For two years we've won our division without a deep threat. Get over it! Stretch the field with a fast receiver - hit him once, and suddenly you have to worry about it - and that goes for the rest of the season.

I'm not worried about it. We haven't had a deep threat since TO. 18 yards gets a first down, also! If we have a mid-range passing game it's just as good, easily.
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Aug 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Well we haven't had a "deep threat" the last 2 years and that didn't stop us from making the NFCCG and Super Bowl. So who cares?
Share 49ersWebzone