LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

**Update*** 49ers sign Seneca Wallace

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dennis Dixon
Originally posted by mattster03:
We can do better than Seneca Wallace.

more like we can do better than Colt McCoy.

but yeah I'm down if we can do better than Wallace... i just don't know if players like T. Jackson/Grossman/Kyle Orton will be available...I originally thought Jackson might be cut going into preseason, but he is playing too good for them to save money.

or maybe get Billy Volek out of retirement.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
You can compare Smith preseason to McCoy's preseason if you want, but we didn't go out looking for a new starting QB when Smith had a rough preseason. Also, Smith right now or even in 2011 is a better QB than McCoy is now or was in 2011, so the comparison is not really valid.

I think McCoy will get it eventually. He's still learning the playbook and hopefully once he does he'll be okay. Honestly, if Kaep was to go down this season our SB chances would go down the tube regardless of who our backup is. We were lucky last year to have Kaep as our backup, but not many contending teams don't have 2 QBs that can win SBs. We just need to hope McCoy or whoever can hold it down for 2-3 games if it was necessary. But if Kaep were to go down for longer we'd pretty much be screwed regardless.

We need our starting QB to win the SB plain and simple. Our energy would be better served praying to whoever you believe in that Kaep doesn't go down rather than arguing about mediocre backups.
No stone left unturn.
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Seneca Wallace was the Seahawks QB when Gire had that 212 yard game

I've been on this site for several years and I still don't understand the "Gire" joke

Can someone please fill me in??

I just did a search and that thread is no longer around but my best recollection was that the thread title said something like

"Can we still win even if Gore"

The first post was like "?"

The second post was like "even if what"

The third post was like "even if Gore had monkeys flying out of his but"

From then, it degenerated and became "even if gire"

The point being, be VERY CAREFUL (Hills Street Blues Careful actually) when you post a thread title
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Let me try to understand this, McCoy has been crap I get it, but wasn't Seneca Wallace the back-up to McCoy ?! So, where is the logic in this ? We are intetrested in a back-up to somone crap ?

Look, in this league, if someone can play, he can play. Just embrace BJ Daniels' talent and keep grooming him. This kid has plenty of potential. There is no point to get your knickers into a twist over conventional wisdom that one should have an experienced QB behind a starting QB. The Skins played 2 rookies as starter and back-up. Plus, I can't help but to feel we are being overly influenced by ex-Browns personnel.

Is too bad we cut Josh Johnson if you must have an experienced QB behind your starter. I don't want to hear any BS about Harbaugh knew him very well from before so he knew what he was doing cos if he had made the right choice in keeping Tolzien and signing McCoy, they wouldn't be looking at a 33 year old QB in Wallace now. At the very least, Johnson has shown he can play in the preseason.

But, forget about that, that's history now. We need to forge ahead. Like I said, just embrace BJ and focus our energy in coaching him up and give him more reps. Stop wasting time on McCoy and Tolzien, they are not the answers.

I agree that we should keep BJ Daniels on the 53-man roster. I do not really know enough to care about Colt McCoy or Seneca Wallace.

I am willing to forget what you call BS about Harbaugh knowing Josh Johnson.

But, here are the career numbers for McCoy, Johnson, and Wallace.

Years in NFL

McCoy—3
Johnson---5
Wallace—9

Pass Rating

McCoy---74.8
Johnson---57.7
Wallace---81.3

Completion %

McCoy—58.3%
Johnson—54.2%
Wallace—59.2 %

Touchdowns/interceptions

McCoy—21/20
Johnson—5/10
Wallace—31/18

These numbers do not convince me that we should have kept Josh Johnson.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Let me try to understand this, McCoy has been crap I get it, but wasn't Seneca Wallace the back-up to McCoy ?! So, where is the logic in this ? We are intetrested in a back-up to somone crap ?

Look, in this league, if someone can play, he can play. Just embrace BJ Daniels' talent and keep grooming him. This kid has plenty of potential. There is no point to get your knickers into a twist over conventional wisdom that one should have an experienced QB behind a starting QB. The Skins played 2 rookies as starter and back-up. Plus, I can't help but to feel we are being overly influenced by ex-Browns personnel.

Is too bad we cut Josh Johnson if you must have an experienced QB behind your starter. I don't want to hear any BS about Harbaugh knew him very well from before so he knew what he was doing cos if he had made the right choice in keeping Tolzien and signing McCoy, they wouldn't be looking at a 33 year old QB in Wallace now. At the very least, Johnson has shown he can play in the preseason.

But, forget about that, that's history now. We need to forge ahead. Like I said, just embrace BJ and focus our energy in coaching him up and give him more reps. Stop wasting time on McCoy and Tolzien, they are not the answers.

I agree that we should keep BJ Daniels on the 53-man roster. I do not really know enough to care about Colt McCoy or Seneca Wallace.

Years in NFL

McCoy—3
Johnson---5
Wallace—9

Pass Rating

McCoy---74.8
Johnson---57.7
Wallace---81.3

Completion %

McCoy—58.3%
Johnson—54.2%
Wallace—59.2 %

Touchdowns/interceptions

McCoy—21/20
Johnson—5/10
Wallace—31/18

totally convincing Josh is a knuckle head when it come down to critical plays. Seneca is the best bet.
You can see how much they think of Tolzien and McCoy by bringing in Wallace. Can Charley Batch be far behind? How about Don Strock? I'm sure Steve Bono can still carry a clipboard.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
No stone left unturn.

Jamarcus (purple drank) Russell
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
You can see how much they think of Tolzien and McCoy by bringing in Wallace. Can Charley Batch be far behind? How about Don Strock? I'm sure Steve Bono can still carry a clipboard.

Have they actually brought Wallace in or stated that they were bringing in Wallace.

I thought that was just a report by a reporter and a motivational ploy for McCoy and Tolzien.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM ]

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Years in NFL

McCoy—3
Johnson---5
Wallace—9

Pass Rating

McCoy---74.8
Johnson---57.7
Wallace---81.3

Completion %

McCoy—58.3%
Johnson—54.2%
Wallace—59.2 %

Touchdowns/interceptions

McCoy—21/20
Johnson—5/10
Wallace—31/18

OK, forget about Johnson, I don't really care about that at this juncture and I am not going to lose sleep over those stats neither cos if I am not wrong McCoy had a QB rating of 20 something in the last game.The main thrust of my point is just go with BJ and coach the kid up. What I don't want to see is wasting valuable time and snaps on McCoy and Tolzien and get some old dude in. There aren't a great deal of back-up QB old dudes that can play, may be with the exception of Hasselbeck.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

You nailed it.

For me, I am not going to keep wasting time on McCoy and Tolzien or bring some senile dude in. Instead, I would focus all my energy on coaching BJ up, the kid is talented and has plenty of potential.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I just did a search and that thread is no longer around but my best recollection was that the thread title said something like

"Can we still win even if Gore"

The first post was like "?"

The second post was like "even if what"

The third post was like "even if Gore had monkeys flying out of his but"

From then, it degenerated and became "even if gire"

The point being, be VERY CAREFUL (Hills Street Blues Careful actually) when you post a thread title

There was actually a thread titled, "even if gire", with no first post follow up or anything. I'm pretty sure that's what started it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
OK, forget about Johnson, I don't really care about that at this juncture and I am not going to lose sleep over those stats neither cos if I am not wrong McCoy had a QB rating of 20 something in the last game.The main thrust of my point is just go with BJ and coach the kid up. What I don't want to see is wasting valuable time and snaps on McCoy and Tolzien and get some old dude in. There aren't a great deal of back-up QB old dudes that can play, may be with the exception of Hasselbeck.

I believe we agree on BJ Daniels. edit: I think he should make the 53-man roster and given the chance to compete for the #2 spot.

If you are willing to forget Josh Johnson, I am perfectly willing to forget him also.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM ]
Maybe its not to be a QB ....
Share 49ersWebzone