There are 222 users in the forums

**Update*** 49ers sign Seneca Wallace

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 16to87:
Kap,Cam,RGIII,Wilson and now EJ Manuel and Geno Smith. It seems to me that most of the new dynamic athletic and projected to be great qb's are African American. Now with teams going to a pistol or read option, does the need for a speedy and quick qb behind the center makes it more likely?Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/174291-caucasian-going-way-counterparts-endangered-species/#tCQrr3SEDiqb7LLt.99

Eric Crouch was ahead of his time...he would've flourished in this league....ok just kidding dude was too fragile. But athletic as f**k.

I don't think its black QBs but more so, these Black Qb can actually pass the ball (not counting Geno) and in comparison to white QBs who can run, well Tebow is the first that comes to people's mind...but Ryan Tannehill from the Dolphins is just as fast as some of these guys. And Jake Locker and Chris Ponder are fast as well....teams can run the pistol if they want to, but it does not matter if these QBs can't pass the ball well.

I think some need to forget looking for the next quick and fast white QB, when some should pay attention to the backup QB in Denver that is 6'8 with a strong arm and out runs defenders.
Great points. There is also a young QB at Texas A&M who will fit this mold perfectly. Now if only he didn't appear to have Ryan Leaf's mentality attached to that great athleticism. It is more about who is able to throw the ball first but be able to add that athletic ability that is thriving today then it is about black or white.

As far as Wallace is concerned, being an ISU Alum who was at ISU during his reign I am excited. With that said he is a serviceable back up who can come in and not screw up games but won't light the world on fire. The thing I question is that his ability to scramble and still be accurate was what got him into the NFL. Mike Holmgren then kept him in the NFL. Being older now does he still have that ability or is Holmgren coming back to the niners j/k.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Do not forget our own when talking about quarterbacks who could pass and run,

Steve Young had 722 rushing attempts, gained 4,239 yards(5.9 yard average) and had 43 rushing touchdowns.

http://www.nfl.com/player/steveyoung/2503843/careerstats

3rd best running quarterback of all time.

Steve Young, 4239 yards

One of the toughest things to do in sports is to follow a legend, but when you're Steve Young, you simply rewrite the record books. Along with his magnificent career passer rating, Steve ran down the field with as much ease as he threw touchdown passes. He rushed for a career high 537 yards in 1992 and 454 yards in his last full year in the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-7454032
[ Edited by buck on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I remember when the same was said about Colin Kaepernick.
I also remember when the same was said about Jeff Garcia.
I even remember when the same was said about Steve Young.

Ahh, memories...

The more recent the memory the more it still hurts so it continues to be used as an example.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wonder if the staff would sign tebow as a backup

Tebow cant be that much Worse than Wallace

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Anybody watched the Green Bay/Seattle game ? Vince Young wasn't too bad, was he ? Surprising huh ? Even Brady Quin threw a beautiful 50-yard rainbow TD. Just saying.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Anybody watched the Green Bay/Seattle game ? Vince Young wasn't too bad, was he ? Surprising huh ? Even Brady Quin threw a beautiful 50-yard rainbow TD. Just saying.

Did you ever get Game Pass?

I faintly remember you saying that you live outside the states. I do, and with Game Pass I can watch all preseason games, all regular season games, and all play off games.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Did you ever get Game Pass?

I faintly remember you saying that you live outside the states. I do, and with Game Pass I can watch all preseason games, all regular season games, and all play off games.

No, I didn't. Actually, the cable channel that I subscribe to is not bad. In 2011, they hardly showed any 9ers games, but after a 13-3 season they showed most games last season. They better do the same again. At least I am getting Sunday's Vikings game. Come the regular season, I will get 7 games a week. Thursday Night Football, 5 Sunday games and Monday Night Football.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wonder if the staff would sign tebow as a backup

Tebow cant be that much Worse than Wallace

maiocco confirmed it lol "no"
  • buck
  • Veteran
No, I didn't. Actually, the cable channel that I subscribe to is not bad. In 2011, they hardly showed any 9ers games, but after a 13-3 season they showed most games last season. They better do the same again. At least I am getting Sunday's Vikings game. Come the regular season, I will get 7 games a week. Thursday Night Football, 5 Sunday games and Monday Night Football.

That is not too bad. Down here they only show Monday Night Football and some Thursday games.

I paid about $200 for all the games, plus the combine and the draft.
Just imagine if Seneca Wallace grows out his beard again and then we have bearded triplets at QB. Its like 3 James Harden's with Kap, Seneca and BJ. LOL!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
How important is it to have at least one backup that's had some NFL starts, experience under his belt?

"How important is it? Just like anything I think it's preferable to have game experience at any position. That's certainly not always the case and whoever the best player it is that gives us the best chance at winning the game as a backup quarterback, then that's who we want on your roster. That's who you want going in. Whether he has game experience or not."

from Harbaugh press conference
  • buck
  • Veteran
How important is it to have at least one backup that's had some NFL starts, experience under his belt?

"How important is it? Just like anything I think it's preferable to have game experience at any position. That's certainly not always the case and whoever the best player it is that gives us the best chance at winning the game as a backup quarterback, then that's who we want on your roster. That's who you want going in. Whether he has game experience or not."

from Harbaugh press conference
  • buck
  • Veteran
49ers rookie makes a case for backup QB job

The team's linebackers coach, Jim Leavitt, never needed much convincing that Daniels could run a huddle.

In 2007, when Leavitt was South Florida's head coach, he made the four-hour trip up Interstate 75 to watch Daniels, then a junior at Tallahassee's Lincoln High, play basketball and to watch him in the school's spring football game.

Daniels is a half-inch under 5-11, which is why the bigger schools projected him as a cornerback or a tailback. Leavitt, however, saw him as someone similar to South Florida's recent passers, Marquel Blackwell and Matt Grothe, both of whom are 5-11.

"He was a leader," Leavitt said of Daniels. "He was confident and he played with confidence. He could run, he was a great athlete and he could throw the ball."

Daniels saw the fit as well and committed to the Bulls.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/25/5678715/49ers-rookie-makes-a-case-for.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by buck on Aug 25, 2013 at 3:48 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Go BJ !!
Originally posted by buck:
49ers rookie makes a case for backup QB job

The team's linebackers coach, Jim Leavitt, never needed much convincing that Daniels could run a huddle.

In 2007, when Leavitt was South Florida's head coach, he made the four-hour trip up Interstate 75 to watch Daniels, then a junior at Tallahassee's Lincoln High, play basketball and to watch him in the school's spring football game.

Daniels is a half-inch under 5-11, which is why the bigger schools projected him as a cornerback or a tailback. Leavitt, however, saw him as someone similar to South Florida's recent passers, Marquel Blackwell and Matt Grothe, both of whom are 5-11.

"He was a leader," Leavitt said of Daniels. "He was confident and he played with confidence. He could run, he was a great athlete and he could throw the ball."

Daniels saw the fit as well and committed to the Bulls.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/25/5678715/49ers-rookie-makes-a-case-for.html#storylink=cpy

Always wondered what happened to Matt.
Share 49ersWebzone