LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

**Update*** 49ers sign Seneca Wallace

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
My goal has always been to migrate all of our QBs to dual threat cos that to me is the future of this position.

I had no idea.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by NCommand:
He makes everyone else look inferior. Ha

And LOL @ people thinking Wallace will be pushing Tolzien or McCoy. Wallace hasn't even seen our playbook yet!

So, if he's not going to be pushing Tolzien or McCoy, why did we sign him? To see him naked in the locker room? To serve as a critical 5th quarterback in the preseason? To get his autograph?

At 33 years old, with two weeks to go? Beats the heck out of me! He offers absoilutely nothing and my family up north (Seattle fans) continue to claim he offered nothing years ago when he was with them. So?
I am over it. Lockette is gone, too bad, but we need to move on.

Why is it too bad? The guy was arguably the worst receiver on the roster. They couldnt play him as a gunner because they wouldnt have been able to justify activating him as a WR on gamedays. Plus he was old enough to where the 'physical upside' argument really starts to fall apart. If they had tried to trade him, they wouldnt have even gotten a trashy Jon Baldwin level of player.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by buck:
My goal has always been to migrate all of our QBs to dual threat cos that to me is the future of this position.

I had no idea.

I don't think that's an easy task. Coaches have been looking for dual threat QBs for years. It's hard to find them. It's actually quite rare that RGIII, Wilson, and Kaep all blossomed the same year. It's ideal to have a QB that can throw the ball as well as he can run, but I don't think a whole lot of them are out there. That being said, it nice that we have one.

I am not sure whether that was purely because of the lack of talent or teams being conservative and sticking with the belief that QBs are not supposed to run in pro football cos they will get killed. Probably a bit of both. Even when Vick was rocking it, I didn't think people were buying it. But, with the emergence of RG3, RW and Kap, I think teams can no longer ignore it and just sweep it under the carpet. I think they have proved to the whole world that it can be done. All 3 of those teams went to the playoffs and were killing teams. I think as long as you don't overdo it like what RG3 did, there can only be upsides. I am sure many teams out there are biting their lips now and wish they had embark on that route. As far as the 9ers are concerned, to be a successful team, you need to have an open-minded approach and welcome new ideas and concepts. You don't follow the trend, you set the trend. I think it only makes sense for us to turn dual threat 100%.
  • buck
  • Veteran
As far as the 9ers are concerned, to be a successful team, you need to have an open-minded approach and welcome new ideas and concepts. You don't follow the trend, you set the trend. I think it only makes sense for us to turn dual threat 100%.

In three years, Colt McCoy has rushed 93 times for 363 yards (3.9 yard average) 1 touchdown

In his career, Seneca Wallace has rushed 68 times for 293 yards (4.3 yard average) 1 touchdown

But, 212 of Wallace's rushing yards came in 2005 to 2008.
In the last three years, Wallace has rushed 30 times for 81 yards(3.8 yard average)

I am not sure if either Wallace or McCoy should be considered dual-threat quarterbacks.

Compare their rushing numbers with the top rushing quarterbacks last year :

1. Robert Griffin—118---833--7.1--7
2. Cam Newton --127--- 741---5.8---8
3. Russell Wilson---94-- 489---5.2--4
4. Colin Kaepernick---63—417-- 6.6—5
Like I said, I just am not sure.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Wallace can probably run the read-option.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nannite:
I am over it. Lockette is gone, too bad, but we need to move on.

Why is it too bad? The guy was arguably the worst receiver on the roster. They couldnt play him as a gunner because they wouldnt have been able to justify activating him as a WR on gamedays. Plus he was old enough to where the 'physical upside' argument really starts to fall apart. If they had tried to trade him, they wouldnt have even gotten a trashy Jon Baldwin level of player.

First of all, I am not going to debate about how good or bad Lockette was, but only to say I think a lot of fans had high hopes for the guy. If age was an issuse, then we could easily talk about Osgood too, but I also happen to like him too. However, I couldn't disagree with you more on Jon Baldwin being "trashy". If you want to talk "trashy", AJ Jenkins is the epitome of precisely that. I am so glad that Baalke pulled the trigger and finally managed to unload him. In any case, I don't know where you got "trashy" from in looking at Baldwin. He was a top 5 graded WR in the 2011 draft. He has all the measurables and I will take my chance on him than to be stuck with Jenkins any day.
  • buck
  • Veteran
First of all, I am not going to debate about how good or bad Lockette was, but only to say I think a lot of fans had high hopes for the guy. If age was an issuse, then we could easily talk about Osgood too, but I also happen to like him too. However, I couldn't disagree with you more on Jon Baldwin being "trashy". If you want to talk "trashy", AJ Jenkins is the epitome of precisely that. I am so glad that Baalke pulled the trigger and finally managed to unload him. In any case, I don't know where you got "trashy" from in looking at Baldwin. He was a top 5 graded WR in the 2011 draft. He has all the measurables and I will take my chance on him than to be stuck with Jenkins any day.

I was one of the strongest supporters of Lockette. I really wanted him to do well.

When he was cut, I was disappointed. The final 53-man roster has not been determined. Lockette might be back.

I hope he comes back, but I have a strong inclination to hope for the best for Division 2 players.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
As far as the 9ers are concerned, to be a successful team, you need to have an open-minded approach and welcome new ideas and concepts. You don't follow the trend, you set the trend. I think it only makes sense for us to turn dual threat 100%.

In three years, Colt McCoy has rushed 93 times for 363 yards (3.9 yard average) 1 touchdown

In his career, Seneca Wallace has rushed 68 times for 293 yards (4.3 yard average) 1 touchdown

But, 212 of Wallace's rushing yards came in 2005 to 2008.
In the last three years, Wallace has rushed 30 times for 81 yards(3.8 yard average)

I am not sure if either Wallace or McCoy should be considered dual-threat quarterbacks.

Compare their rushing numbers with the top rushing quarterbacks last year :

1. Robert Griffin—118---833--7.1--7
2. Cam Newton --127--- 741---5.8---8
3. Russell Wilson---94-- 489---5.2--4
4. Colin Kaepernick---63—417-- 6.6—5
Like I said, I just am not sure.

I wasn't referring to Wallace as some dual threat stud. What I was trying to say is that should be the direction we should consider. As for Wallace, his career path was kind of messed up from the word go. Seattle probably wanted to use him more as a WR as opposed to QB. He never really had a chance to develop as a QB. He was either playing behind Hasselbeck or catching passes from Hasselbeck, that was how screwed up it was.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Wallace can probably run the read-option.

Yes, he can. Have you seen his clip ? There you go :

• buck
  • Veteran
I wasn't referring to Wallace as some dual threat stud. What I was trying to say is that should be the direction we should consider. As for Wallace, his career path was kind of messed up from the word go. Seattle probably wanted to use him more as a WR as opposed to QB. He never really had a chance to develop as a QB. He was either playing behind Hasselbeck or catching passes from Hasselbeck, that was how screwed up it was.

You might be right about Wallace in Seattle. Again, I am not sure.

In his career, Wallace has targeted 8 times; he has 6 receptions for 106 yards.

In Seattle, he was targeted 6 times; he had 4 receptions for 75 yards.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4568/seneca-wallace
  • buck
  • Veteran

Those are his highlights. They make him look an All Pro quarterback, and we know he isn't.

Maybe we need to study a clip of his lowlights.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I was one of the strongest supporters of Lockette. I really wanted him to do well.

When he was cut, I was disappointed. The final 53-man roster has not been determined. Lockette might be back.

I hope he comes back, but I have a strong inclination to hope for the best for Division 2 players.

Well, you know he had an offer last year to be on some team's 53 right ? So, I can't help wondering whether it would be a better career move for him to join another team if he had another offer ? Afterall, he can't just stay in the practice squad for the rest of his life. It would be a gamble for him. Well, at this stage, we don't even know whether the 9ers want to sign him back to the PS or even whether he will clear waivers in the first place. I wouldn't want him to stay with us just because it is the 49ers cos I think he deserves a chance to re-start his career.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Those are his highlights. They make him look an All Pro quarterback, and we know he isn't.

Maybe we need to study a clip of his lowlights.

LOL, well let's share it if you can find his lowlights.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
ugh, this is not good.
Share 49ersWebzone