LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 134 users in the forums

Crabtree, Boldin, Baldwin for the playoffs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been reading some stuff on Baldwin, and on our receiving group in general. Even though I like Williams and Patton etc.. I have to say that I love the Baldwin pickup! It's premature, but so many receivers can't perform well until they have a half decent QB. With Kaep, this guy will reach his potential for sure. We had redzone problems last year, and with two big WR, plus Vernon Davis..we have some serious options.

What I'm excited about is that Baldwin will do great with Boldin, and at the end of the year we'll have probably the best trio in the league (plus Davis). Then add Patton, Williams, LaMichael James (my favorite), and Gore catching passes as well..

I predict that our redzone offense will improve big time, and we'll FINALLY have a healthy receiving group come the playoffs.

We have tons of options, and come playoffs, we'll have even more. Our biggest concern shouldn't be getting to the playoffs, rather than getting there healthy.

Thoughts?

GO NINERS.
[ Edited by tondiman on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM ]
Hell ya playoffs! Supabow baby!
Week 1 is the only thing that matters... until Monday Sep. 9th
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

This.
I'll re-check the schedule but I'm pretty sure there's still 2 preaseason games to go, not to mention an entire 16-game regular season.
Honestly I am more exciting to see manningham come back than baldwin play. Manningham was having a decent season till he got hurt and in Kaep's first two games looked like one of his main targets.
I think people should be more realistic about Crabtree, every recovery is unique but more times than not an Achilles injury really changes a player. Plus, I'm not even sure he'll be back by the end of the year. I feel like the 49ers are just giving Crabtree a motivational goal to get him through the toughest part of rehab. Suggs came back from his torn Achilles in 6 months because he partially tore it, Crabs fully tore it.

I think one of the biggest ways the redzone will increase is when Kaepernick takes a couple in from with 5-10 yards. That will start freezing the LBs and get the TEs and RBs open. Then Kaepernick will also open up the type of TDs the 49ers got in the NFCC against Atlanta, where they are so concerned about Kaep that they let the RBs walk in untouched. Kaepernick's ability to run it in himself is going to change the 49ers redzone for the better, defenses have to respect that and there isn't a whole lot you can do to stop it every time. We saw flashes of it last year at the end of the season, but that was just the tip of the iceberg. He did all of that with the balance shifted mostly on athletic ability, imagine what it will be like when his mental awareness gets to the level of a seasoned vet.

I also don't think we should look at the playoffs as automatic. Teams are gunning for the 49ers and some of them will more than likely play dirty to try and win. I fully expect the Packers to take a lot of cheap shots after being embarrassed twice last year. Seattle, Arizona, and St. Louis all play the 49ers extremely physical right on the borderline of lots of cheapshots... getting through this season healthy is not going to be easy.
  • jwine
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:
I've been reading some stuff on Baldwin, and on our receiving group in general. Even though I like Williams and Patton etc.. I have to say that I love the Baldwin pickup! It's premature, but so many receivers can't perform well until they have a half decent QB. With Kaep, this guy will reach his potential for sure. We had redzone problems last year, and with two big WR, plus Vernon Davis..we have some serious options.

What I'm excited about is that Baldwin will do great with Boldin, and at the end of the year we'll have probably the best trio in the league (plus Davis). Then add Patton, Williams, LaMichael James (my favorite), and Gore catching passes as well..

I predict that our redzone offense will improve big time, and we'll FINALLY have a healthy receiving group come the playoffs.

We have tons of options, and come playoffs, we'll have even more. Our biggest concern shouldn't be getting to the playoffs, rather than getting there healthy.

Thoughts?

GO NINERS.
I agree but we have to be more concerned about penalties!!!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'm excited about a lot of things. But Baldwin is hardly one.

Too early to talk playoffs but I agree with your premise of loving the Baldwin trade. Has big potential in redzone! 42 in vertical and 6'4" tall. Has good speed. Huge potential but temper expectations. We haven't even seen him on the field for us yet.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

This.

That.
Starting Crabrtree, Boldin and Baldwin on the field = lack of speed with no one to stretch the field (aside from maybe Vernon). You need at least 1 speedster to keep the safeties honest. otherwise their entire secondary will play close to the line of scrimmage which hurts the run game and quick, short throws.

I also agree with post above (threelittlebirds), Crabtree coming back and being effective play-in and play-out would be a bonus, but i think its doubtful. I dont think we will see the same Crabtree in this years playoffs as we did last year (assuming we make it of course).
Quinton Patton. Nuff said!
Don't forget about Manningham. Crab-Boldin-Mario...that's 3 clutch receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone