There are 175 users in the forums

May be the deepest 49er defense since 1990

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it was the first one that came up after doing a search on the "49er defense". I just wanted to share some information I stumbled on. I'm not into fantasy football, but as I was trying to find information about the Bucs for the upcoming game I stumbled on this:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/playerpage/1630353/mike-glennon

"Well, quarterbacks average just 13.2 Fantasy points per week against San Francisco, which is the third-lowest average. No quarterback has thrown for more than one touchdown in the last six games against the 49ers. For the season, quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions (14) than touchdowns (13) against San Francisco."

Pretty impressive.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it was the first one that came up after doing a search on the "49er defense". I just wanted to share some information I stumbled on. I'm not into fantasy football, but as I was trying to find information about the Bucs for the upcoming game I stumbled on this:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/playerpage/1630353/mike-glennon

"Well, quarterbacks average just 13.2 Fantasy points per week against San Francisco, which is the third-lowest average. No quarterback has thrown for more than one touchdown in the last six games against the 49ers. For the season, quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions (14) than touchdowns (13) against San Francisco."

Pretty impressive.

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
and in 1990, what happened?

the world was blessed with Mod's birth
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The worst tank job in Niner history was 1987. League's number one offense and defense. Ended the season with three absolute blowouts and a combined score of 124-7 (yes, that's right, 124-7 against the Bears, Falcons and Rams in that order). And, then they had a bad day against the Vikings and the Vikings played out of their minds and won at the Stick in the first round. Debartolo threw a tantrum, knocked over the coke machine and ended up demoting Walsh. Walsh thought about just quitting. Now, that was a shocker.

Funny you should bring up the 124-7 late season run by the 87 team, I was looking at it yesterday. I still have nightmares of Anthony Carter juggling catches and going into the end zone with several 49ers on the ground. Coach Bill Walsh called it one of his toughest losses. Eddie D was going to fire him. As a fan I was in shock, just numb after the loss, felt I was in a Bizzaro universe.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The worst tank job in Niner history was 1987. League's number one offense and defense. Ended the season with three absolute blowouts and a combined score of 124-7 (yes, that's right, 124-7 against the Bears, Falcons and Rams in that order). And, then they had a bad day against the Vikings and the Vikings played out of their minds and won at the Stick in the first round. Debartolo threw a tantrum, knocked over the coke machine and ended up demoting Walsh. Walsh thought about just quitting. Now, that was a shocker.

Funny you should bring up the 124-7 late season run by the 87 team, I was looking at it yesterday. I still have nightmares of Anthony Carter juggling catches and going into the end zone with several 49ers on the ground. Coach Bill Walsh called it one of his toughest losses. Eddie D was going to fire him. As a fan I was in shock, just numb after the loss, felt I was in a Bizzaro universe.

He gone. But I am sure he would have agreed with you
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM ]

demoting walsh to just coach rather than coach/gm?
we'll never have a better LB core than we have now.. NEVER
Originally posted by YungAce:
we'll never have a better LB core than we have now.. NEVER

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by 49erphan:

Pretty impressive.

This secondary has definitely been stellar this year. Combine that with a pass-rush that is healthy and all bets are off!
Originally posted by mod:

i thought you was hella older for some reason.

Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
This secondary has definitely been stellar this year. Combine that with a pass-rush that is healthy and all bets are off!

Which is exactly why I like our chances anywhere any game. Our defense is playing lights out and no QB has fared well vs us all year aside from Aaron Rodgers but that guy is a freak and even then we were tweaking our lineups and finding ourselves on defense. The way we are playing now other teams will find points very hard to come by and Kap has to manage games smartly more often than not and we should get the W!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Which is exactly why I like our chances anywhere any game. Our defense is playing lights out and no QB has fared well vs us all year aside from Aaron Rodgers but that guy is a freak and even then we were tweaking our lineups and finding ourselves on defense. The way we are playing now other teams will find points very hard to come by and Kap has to manage games smartly more often than not and we should get the W!

kap needs to deal with intangibles such as crowd noise and getting the plays on time. And even if he mastered those things, I'm still worried about his play during the playoffs. Our D and ST will have to be ERROR FREE. to go on the road and beat SEA and NO.

Greg Roman, doe.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Two Words: Nmandi Asomugha.

lol
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mod:

i thought you was hella older for some reason.

yeah... and luv thought I was Filipino
What makes this years defense even more impressive is the salary cap restrictions today vs no salary cap in 1990. For instance, in 1990, the Niners had an all pro NT in Jim Burt backing up our own All Pro NT, Michael Carter.
Share 49ersWebzone