May be the deepest 49er defense since 1990

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Im still unsure on Dorsey, Nnamdi, Williams & Wright
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
and in 1990, what happened?

just don't give LMJ the ball in the NFCCG

Didn't LMJ fumble in the Super Bowl? Near the redzone?
Yep. Like I said, LMJ is a very average running back with a propensity to fumble (returns and hand offs) in the limited attempts he's toted the rock, he's fumbled at least 3 times.
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
and in 1990, what happened?

The worst tank job in Niner history was 1987. League's number one offense and defense. Ended the season with three absolute blowouts and a combined score of 124-7 (yes, that's right, 124-7 against the Bears, Falcons and Rams in that order). And, then they had a bad day against the Vikings and the Vikings played out of their minds and won at the Stick in the first round. Debartolo threw a tantrum, knocked over the coke machine and ended up demoting Walsh. Walsh thought about just quitting. Now, that was a shocker.

I remember that game and that season vividly. We were so good that season, I mean jerry Rice was playing at another level & planet. He had 23 tds in 12 games and Montana was in his Prime as was Lott. Like you said, #1 O and Number 1Defense and homefield. And for god knows whatever they couldn't guard Anthony Carter at all and Montana never got in a rythym and then played like crp. by then they had fallen behind by 27-10 late in the 3rd Quarter, they never could overcome. I thought for sure for sure the 49ers would fly to the Super Bowl no doubt. I just to this day think the 49ers tokk the Vikings lightly and got punched in the mouth and by the time they woke up it was too little too late.
The worst tank job in Niner history was 1987. League's number one offense and defense. Ended the season with three absolute blowouts and a combined score of 124-7 (yes, that's right, 124-7 against the Bears, Falcons and Rams in that order). And, then they had a bad day against the Vikings and the Vikings played out of their minds and won at the Stick in the first round. Debartolo threw a tantrum, knocked over the coke machine and ended up demoting Walsh. Walsh thought about just quitting. Now, that was a shocker.

I still have nightmares and see Anthony Carter making acrobatic juggling receptions on the way to a 10 catch 227 yard game.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Defense cost us the last SB. 28 points in nearly a half. 35 (a record) points against us(No other SB defense of ours gave up more than 26 for entire game)?
Everytime I watch ESPN/NFLN, every other NFL team uses our defense as their highlight reel, since they all got great footage of torching our secondary.

And we say "shouldn't be much drop off" on the defense?? If that is the case, kiss off the SB. Also, if our defense fails again, can we not go out justifying it by pointing out a player of our got hurt. We should never be one player away from being mediocrity.

I see our D much weaker than our Offense, despite who starts at WR.

I agree Joe that the D cost us the last SB. However, the team did not come out focused right at the start. The first play of the game, an illegal formation, set he tone. Take that penalty away and the game may have been different.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I still have nightmares and see Anthony Carter making acrobatic juggling receptions on the way to a 10 catch 227 yard game.

Never before and never after did Anthony Carter have any game even close to that. And, let's not forget that Joe Montana did not have a good game after three or four games of just tearing things up. It was a very strange game.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I agree Joe that the D cost us the last SB. However, the team did not come out focused right at the start. The first play of the game, an illegal formation, set he tone. Take that penalty away and the game may have been different.

I can think about 40 things, had they not gone all Ravens way, we win.

I just hope next year, we are not the highlight reel for other teams offense showing them torching our defense. The footage/ads are killing me.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I remember that game and that season vividly. We were so good that season, I mean jerry Rice was playing at another level & planet. He had 23 tds in 12 games and Montana was in his Prime as was Lott. Like you said, #1 O and Number 1Defense and homefield. And for god knows whatever they couldn't guard Anthony Carter at all and Montana never got in a rythym and then played like crp. by then they had fallen behind by 27-10 late in the 3rd Quarter, they never could overcome. I thought for sure for sure the 49ers would fly to the Super Bowl no doubt. I just to this day think the 49ers tokk the Vikings lightly and got punched in the mouth and by the time they woke up it was too little too late.

I'm sure that's pretty much what happened.

On the bright side, looking at things realistically.....say the 49ers win in '87. Do we win in '88?

To me it's doubtful as we barely dominated that season until post season.

I think we get it done in '89 regardless.

I don't fret a ton about "lost rings" because turning a lost ring into a ring doesn't necessarily mean the future rings would have happened the same way. Remember, it wasn't until '88/'89 that the 49ers repeated.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Remember, it wasn't until '88/'89 that the 49ers repeated.

The amazing thing to me, though, is that the team came one fumble away from three in a row (because I think they would have absolutely crushed that Bills team) and if they hadn't tanked in the first '87 playoff game, it could have been the most amazing run of dominance ever. But, you're right. If they win it all in '87, there's no guarantee they do what they did in '88 which was a pretty sensational finish, but by no means dominant.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I'm sure that's pretty much what happened.

On the bright side, looking at things realistically.....say the 49ers win in '87. Do we win in '88?

To me it's doubtful as we barely dominated that season until post season.

I think we get it done in '89 regardless.

I don't fret a ton about "lost rings" because turning a lost ring into a ring doesn't necessarily mean the future rings would have happened the same way. Remember, it wasn't until '88/'89 that the 49ers repeated.
i fret because we could have had a ring had the coaches not went into the retard zone at crunch time and our defense was not defensible for the entire game. i also fret over phantom pass interference vs the redskins , that is the only time I will blame the refs for us solely losing a game

• bret
  • Veteran

This is off-topic, but the 87 team was the most over-rated of the Walsh era. They opened the season losing to a so-so Pittsburgh team, then should have lost to a bad Bengals team only to have the Bengals inexplicably turn the ball over with seconds to go giving Montana one last play. That play - a walk-off TD pass to Jerry Rice as the clock expired - was the result. They should have been 0-2 headed to the home opener against the Eagles. (The Eagles too were better than their 7-8 record, but they had an 0-3 replacement squad). But with the strike, the game was cancelled. Then DeBartolo's replacement team (by general consensus, the best replacement squad in the league) came in and went 3-0. The rest of the way the only quality teams they played besides the Saints (they spilt) were the Bears and Browns, and both those games were at home. The Vikings came into the post-season with an 8-7 record, but the strike team had gone 0-3, so maybe the Vikings were better than people were giving them credit for. The Niners looked like they were gelling, finishing the regular season with 3 straight blow-outs, but they were all at home and two were against the pitiful Rams and Falcons. The most impressive was their 41-0 beat-down of the division winning Bears, but the Bears were crossing the country for their second road game in a row following their own emotional road win against those same Vikings. Think of how the Niners played in Seattle last year after the big win in New England, and you get the picture.

Don't get me wrong, the Niners were a good squad - typical of the Bill Walsh era. But they were set up for the fall, and a fall is what they took.
Originally posted by bret:
This is off-topic, but the 87 team was the most over-rated of the Walsh era. They opened the season losing to a so-so Pittsburgh team, then should have lost to a bad Bengals team only to have the Bengals inexplicably turn the ball over with seconds to go giving Montana one last play. That play - a walk-off TD pass to Jerry Rice as the clock expired - was the result. They should have been 0-2 headed to the home opener against the Eagles. (The Eagles too were better than their 7-8 record, but they had an 0-3 replacement squad). But with the strike, the game was cancelled. Then DeBartolo's replacement team (by general consensus, the best replacement squad in the league) came in and went 3-0. The rest of the way the only quality teams they played besides the Saints (they spilt) were the Bears and Browns, and both those games were at home. The Vikings came into the post-season with an 8-7 record, but the strike team had gone 0-3, so maybe the Vikings were better than people were giving them credit for. The Niners looked like they were gelling, finishing the regular season with 3 straight blow-outs, but they were all at home and two were against the pitiful Rams and Falcons. The most impressive was their 41-0 beat-down of the division winning Bears, but the Bears were crossing the country for their second road game in a row following their own emotional road win against those same Vikings. Think of how the Niners played in Seattle last year after the big win in New England, and you get the picture.

Don't get me wrong, the Niners were a good squad - typical of the Bill Walsh era. But they were set up for the fall, and a fall is what they took.

Great analysis, just missed this.

Another thing you could have added is that it's not unusual for a #1 seed to go 1 and done (Broncos 2012, Packers 2011, Giants 2008, Colts 2005 off the top of my head).

It takes a lot of things to go right in order to win a championship. With arguably the best team in football the last two years, we didn't win the super bowl.

When I look forward to this season, what gives me hope is the upside of this team is higher than ever in the Harbaugh era even if we have some injury issues, and maybe potential Kaepernick struggles this season.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Im still unsure on Dorsey, Nnamdi, Williams & Wright

Nnamdi has done enough to convince me he was a great addition to the defense (and a bargain). Ian Williams hasn't started a regular-season game, but he's getting strong reviews.

Dorsey hasn't impressed me at all as of yet. I thought he'd be a good pickup, but he's looking pretty blah. Can't wait to see what Tank can do. Loved that pick!
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Nnamdi has done enough to convince me he was a great addition to the defense (and a bargain). Ian Williams hasn't started a regular-season game, but he's getting strong reviews.

Dorsey hasn't impressed me at all as of yet. I thought he'd be a good pickup, but he's looking pretty blah. Can't wait to see what Tank can do. Loved that pick!

Same, I'm disappointed in Dorsey so far. Doesn't seem like he's made any impact when he's played, who knows if he would be effective in the DL rotation.

I like Ian's push on the line, and from everything I've heard it seems Tank is progressing well.
I'm bummed that Nnamdi has suffered a minor injury at this point when he was close to locking up the NB spot. Hopefully he will be ready to go 100% by the end of the week. I don't expect him to play against the Chargers but he probably wasn't going to play in that game anyways.
Share 49ersWebzone