LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

May be the deepest 49er defense since 1990

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
and in 1990, what happened?

just don't give LMJ the ball in the NFCCG

Didn't LMJ fumble in the Super Bowl? Near the redzone?
[ Edited by threelittlebirds on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
just don't let Kyle Williams return punts in the NFCCG

*fixed
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Didn't LMJ fumble in the Super Bowl? Near the redzone?

Fool wouldn't go down when he was already wrapped up....got stripped smh

just don't give LMJ the ball in the NFCCG

Or Williams. Man, we have THE worst luck with ST's. And it cost us Superbowls!

we won the Superbowl....dominated the competition that year

perhaps you're referring to Roger Craig fumble in NFCCG..that happened in '91
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
we won the Superbowl....dominated the competition that year

perhaps you're referring to Roger Craig fumble in NFCCG..that happened in '91

People often refer to the regular season year when referring to dates, even postseason games...
I actually think the 94' D is/was VERY underrated.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM ]
Defense cost us the last SB. 28 points in nearly a half. 35 (a record) points against us(No other SB defense of ours gave up more than 26 for entire game)?
Everytime I watch ESPN/NFLN, every other NFL team uses our defense as their highlight reel, since they all got great footage of torching our secondary.

And we say "shouldn't be much drop off" on the defense?? If that is the case, kiss off the SB. Also, if our defense fails again, can we not go out justifying it by pointing out a player of our got hurt. We should never be one player away from being mediocrity.

I see our D much weaker than our Offense, despite who starts at WR.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I actually think the 94' D is/was VERY underrated.

Totally agree. Very deep and powerful front, amazing backfield.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
this defense is not as good as people think I think secondary is weak

Carlos Rogers, whitner, and Reid are all a liability.

Originally posted by susweel:
this defense is not as good as people think I think secondary is weak

Carlos Rogers, whitner, and Reid are all a liability.

Whitner is a HUGE liability. Nobody gave up more receiving TDs than he did last year. I forgot which site posted it and after a quick google search I couldn't find it, but someone said that he gave up 8 or 11 TDs last year and it was the most out of the safety position. I apologize for the vagueness of the numbers, I just can't remember... but I know they said he gave up the most.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

The worst tank job in Niner history was 1987. League's number one offense and defense. Ended the season with three absolute blowouts and a combined score of 124-7 (yes, that's right, 124-7 against the Bears, Falcons and Rams in that order). And, then they had a bad day against the Vikings and the Vikings played out of their minds and won at the Stick in the first round. Debartolo threw a tantrum, knocked over the coke machine and ended up demoting Walsh. Walsh thought about just quitting. Now, that was a shocker.

Anthony "AC" Carter and Wade effing Wilson destroyed the Niners that day...still a tough loss to think about after 25 years. With as stacked as the 49ers were, that team had a legit shot at a 4-peat: 87, the ones they did win in 88-89, and a fumble away from the SB in 1990.
The front seven has nice depth, but there is not very good depth in the secondary.

Seriously? Tramain Brock is a #3 for many teams in the league and he is fighting to make the team. If Culliver hadn't went down, the corner position would be insanely deep. Safety isn't as deep as corner but Dahl did do some starting in St Lou, and Spillman is a quality safety as well. Yes, Whitner has serious holes in his game but what he does well, he does very well and that is flat out hit people. Ask Pierre Thomas! To me there is only one defense that can go toe to to with the Niners and that is Seattle who has their own problems.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
The front seven has nice depth, but there is not very good depth in the secondary.

Seriously? Tramain Brock is a #3 for many teams in the league and he is fighting to make the team. If Culliver hadn't went down, the corner position would be insanely deep. Safety isn't as deep as corner but Dahl did do some starting in St Lou, and Spillman is a quality safety as well. Yes, Whitner has serious holes in his game but what he does well, he does very well and that is flat out hit people. Ask Pierre Thomas! To me there is only one defense that can go toe to to with the Niners and that is Seattle who has their own problems.

It's not fantasy football, "deep" on paper is one thing, but how they actually play in a real game is all that matters. The secondary was not what most people would consider a "strength" the entire 2012 season, and towards the end of reg season and into post-season was an outright liability. Sure, knocking guys out is cool and all, but the hits that create those highlights are 15-yd flags just waiting to happen these days. I'll trade that for solid run support and strong/effective pass coverage any day.
Hearst Breaking his ankle!
Share 49ersWebzone