LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

May be the deepest 49er defense since 1990

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1990.htm

2013 Defense could be historically dominant!
'84>>'89> IMO
I agree but '90 is the last year of those glory year teams where the D was better than the O.

Which describes the situation here to a tee.
I don't think any team can ever be as deep as those teams were because now we have the salary cap. First team defenses can be as good, but as deep? I don't think so.
and in 1990, what happened?
The front seven has nice depth, but there is not very good depth in the secondary.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

The worst tank job in Niner history was 1987. League's number one offense and defense. Ended the season with three absolute blowouts and a combined score of 124-7 (yes, that's right, 124-7 against the Bears, Falcons and Rams in that order). And, then they had a bad day against the Vikings and the Vikings played out of their minds and won at the Stick in the first round. Debartolo threw a tantrum, knocked over the coke machine and ended up demoting Walsh. Walsh thought about just quitting. Now, that was a shocker.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
The front seven has nice depth, but there is not very good depth in the secondary.

maybe at safety, but the cb is rather deep. theres no all pro's but theres some good players. and thats without wright even being on the field.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

The worst tank job in Niner history was 1987. League's number one offense and defense. Ended the season with three absolute blowouts and a combined score of 124-7 (yes, that's right, 124-7 against the Bears, Falcons and Rams in that order). And, then they had a bad day against the Vikings and the Vikings played out of their minds and won at the Stick in the first round. Debartolo threw a tantrum, knocked over the coke machine and ended up demoting Walsh. Walsh thought about just quitting. Now, that was a shocker.

I wasn't watching football then but there's no doubt that's our missing ring.
I wasn't watching football then but there's no doubt that's our missing ring.

and the craig fumble

Deep? If and when Dial and Carradine return to form and get coached up to play, this could very well end up being the most deep our defense has ever been in history. That said, the starting CB and SS spots are still a question mark for me. That said, the depth behind them may end up being better though!

This is reality.

None of those great teams had their secondary abused, unless it was Dallas or GB in non super bowl years.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Walsh said in his book that the team was not as prepared and came out flat. He seems to acknowledge that much, and mentioned benching Montana because of lack of protection feeling Young would give the team more of a chance in 1 game season.
Originally posted by crabman82:

maybe at safety, but the cb is rather deep. theres no all pro's but theres some good players. and thats without wright even being on the field.

Ooops, I forgot about Wright. I feel like all of the starters are serviceable. But, if any injury puts the backups on the field for an extended time it could go very badly. Hopefully the front seven can hide the weak secondary by putting constant and quick pressure on opposing QBs all of the time like the 2011 Giants. The injuries to Justin and Aldon last year in the playoffs really exposed the secondary.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

just don't give LMJ the ball in the NFCCG
Share 49ersWebzone