LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
with all of that... still not even close to a Probowl alternate

I didn't realize this thread was "all time players who sucked because they didn't make a pro bowl".
Originally posted by davide49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
with all of that... still not even close to a Probowl alternate

I didn't realize this thread was "all time players who sucked because they didn't make a pro bowl".
it actually is that thread
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex Smith should be on that list. His suckage and then his mediocrity was just good enough to keep him around for 8 years but his talent was never even close to being the #1 overall pick. The amount of time and effort they wasted on him kept the organization from moving on to someone else.

One thing is for sure the current administration would have moved on much quicker.

Granted Smith should not have been a number one pick, but your bias is blinding you. He was unfairly thrust into a situation no one should have endured, with unrealistic expectations and virtually no supporting cast and poor guidance. Add all those offenses and coordinators and all the pressure from the media and fans (such as yourself) and you have a certain formula for, if not failure, then at least unrealized performance. Give the poor guy a break. He doesn't even compare to such picks as Druckenmiller. Woods, Stokes (who cost us all those draft picks), Balmer, Jenkins, the list goes on.

Smith was also given more chances than any QB I can remember. His rookie year he produced 1 TD and 11 ints with a much larger rookie contract, actually hurting the team much more than helping. I'll take a Balmer, Jenkins, etc. bust over an Alex one any time. At least with those guys we can wipe our hands and move on. We were stuck with Alex, like it or not. He did ok later in his career, but by that time, how much went to him in salary cap that we could have used? Not worth one playoff season, sorry.
Originally posted by BayArea:
That is kind of the point of this thread. If we are going to go through every excuse imaginable there are almost infinite amounts of worthless players drafted that contributed much less than Alex did. In terms of YOUR worst niner draft pick though Alex is viable. He was a high profile pick that was supposed to be the answer and regardless of the circumstances he wasn't. I feel like I am beating a dead horse but that pick stuck with me for a lot longer than most on this list.

Don't get me wrong I like Alex and LOVED him under Harbaugh but that was a bad pick. Even if the team was in disarray it was the wrong guy at the wrong time.

So we should have picked someone else in the top 5 then? Who? Go look at that draft and tell me anyone stands out, because NONE of them did.

We had the #1 pick in one of the worst drafts in the past 20 years. It was a no-win situation. Given a good supporting cast and a legitimate coaching staff, Alex would have been successful throughout his tenure here.

Just to edify the "we want Carr" crew on the choices facing us in that draft, the best pick in the top 10 that year other than Alex was Carlos Rodgers, all the way at #9.

The best players in the draft were Demarcus Ware at #11 and Aaron Rodgers at #24. NO TEAM in the NFL would have taken either of them #1 that year.
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex Smith should be on that list. His suckage and then his mediocrity was just good enough to keep him around for 8 years but his talent was never even close to being the #1 overall pick. The amount of time and effort they wasted on him kept the organization from moving on to someone else.

One thing is for sure the current administration would have moved on much quicker.

LOL, his suckage kept him around? What kept him around was his work ethic, his willingness to reduce his contract to stay on the team, and the constant coaching changes where the new coaches saw his "promise" and they arrogantly thought they could get more from him than the previous coaches. Plus it didn't help that there was no better option until Kaepernick.
Originally posted by BayArea:
That is kind of the point of this thread. If we are going to go through every excuse imaginable there are almost infinite amounts of worthless players drafted that contributed much less than Alex did. In terms of YOUR worst niner draft pick though Alex is viable. He was a high profile pick that was supposed to be the answer and regardless of the circumstances he wasn't. I feel like I am beating a dead horse but that pick stuck with me for a lot longer than most on this list.

Don't get me wrong I like Alex and LOVED him under Harbaugh but that was a bad pick. Even if the team was in disarray it was the wrong guy at the wrong time.

So we should have picked someone else in the top 5 then? Who? Go look at that draft and tell me anyone stands out, because NONE of them did.

We had the #1 pick in one of the worst drafts in the past 20 years. It was a no-win situation. Given a good supporting cast and a legitimate coaching staff, Alex would have been successful throughout his tenure here.

There were a bunch of us here that wanted AR. And Alex had pretty good offensive coordinators in the beginning.
rw mcquarters should be on the list too, also wheres mike 'roast' rumph?
Originally posted by crabman82:

wasn't the hype on rumph that he never gave up a TD in college? I fell for that...
Originally posted by socalniner:

wasn't the hype on rumph that he never gave up a TD in college? I fell for that...

that happens when u play at the U and ed reed has coverage over the top
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I went with Giovanni Carmazzi only because I actually wanted the Niners to pick Tom Brady that year.

• SaksV
  • Veteran

Not to mention DJ Williams, Jon Vilma, William Joseph and Jerome McDougle putting all that pressure on the QB
Originally posted by SaksV:

Not to mention DJ Williams, Jon Vilma, William Joseph and Jerome McDougle putting all that pressure on the QB

stacked team no question, the other cb phil buchanon was also a 1st rounder
Enough Smith threads have been locked.
Originally posted by Raul98:
Easily Alex Smith was because he was a #1 pick overall and produced very little his whole career until Harbaugh coached him. He was bad for many years he even almost started a riot on a sunday night game at the stick against Philly. And the most important fact is they could have and should have drafted Aaron Rodgers a local guy and way better QB. Who Mike Mccarthy OC at the time wanted Rodgers over Smith to run his offense. If they draft Rodgers i think he beats the Giants and Patriots in 2011 and beats the Ravens in 2012 we would be at 7-0 in the superbowl right now. Smith is average Quarterback at best a truly wasted number 1 pick overall talent.

The crazy logic is not wanting AR but the idea if the 49ers drafted AR, 2005-2011 goes the same way......come on bro, that's not how life works.
Lance Alworth. 8th pick in the first round of the 1962 NFL draft by the 49ers. He was also picked by the Raiders in the 1962 AFL draft who then traded his rights to the San Diego Chargers where he went on to have a Hall of Fame career.

First round pick of the 49ers but never wore a 49ers uniform but still in the Hall of Fame.
[ Edited by GoalLineStand on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone