LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Originally posted by susweel:
Alex Smith should be on that list. His suckage and then his mediocrity was just good enough to keep him around for 8 years but his talent was never even close to being the #1 overall pick. The amount of time and effort they wasted on him kept the organization from moving on to someone else.

One thing is for sure the current administration would have moved on much quicker.

Agree with all this

and the new Org did move on quickly 1.5 years it took
Mays, Carmazzi, Kwame Harris, or Balmer.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
has to be jenkins. 0 starts 0 catches 1 drop in a career

woods caught a td
drunkenmiller beat the rams as a rookie
mcgrew i'm sure made a tackle at some point
balmer see mcgrew
jj was supposed to be the next jerry lol he was a good to ok WR
others who cares

Not fair to call him a bust. He never got the chances that Mays, Balmer, Harris, and even Alex did.

Alex would be the ultimate bust if on list. He had 6 suckage years here. Worst #1 pick by us. Yeah he had a good 2011, but he didn't throw many TDs, he was a game manager. A 1st pick should be a TD machine. And Alex isnt.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
has to be jenkins. 0 starts 0 catches 1 drop in a career

woods caught a td
drunkenmiller beat the rams as a rookie
mcgrew i'm sure made a tackle at some point
balmer see mcgrew
jj was supposed to be the next jerry lol he was a good to ok WR
others who cares

Not fair to call him a bust. He never got the chances that Mays, Balmer, Harris, and even Alex did.

Alex would be the ultimate bust if on list. He had 6 suckage years here. Worst #1 pick by us. Yeah he had a good 2011, but he didn't throw many TDs, he was a game manager. A 1st pick should be a TD machine. And Alex isnt.

he wasn't the savior we all wanted...but if anyone thinks rodgers woulda fared better with nolan and singletary smh. 1 year he played half his games with a separated throwing shoulder because his coach said he was fine and he didn't want to look weak. come on that's not the sign of a bust.

the sign of a bust is when the GoAT asks to train you and you blow him off and show up outta shape and start getting put on your tail in training camp and then proceed to drop the only pass thrown your way while u are running wide open.

alex >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> jenkins
[ Edited by Rizvi49er on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM ]
It seems like this poll just highlights that most people always think the most recent things are more important. Just like how they say the most recent good QBs are the GOATs, the most recent bad players are the worst who ever played.

It is way too early to say he is the biggest bust, no matter how small the chance is he still has a chance to salvage his career. Until he completely busts out of the NFL like Balmer, Druckenmiller, or McGrew... he isn't at their level. He very well could be one day, maybe as soon as a few months if the Chiefs cut him.
Gotta be Gio Carmazzi, because they took him instead of Tom Brady.
Not the all time worst by any means, but there will always be a place in my personal gallery of shame for Dana Hall. Dude was useless.
Alex Smith was 100% my least favorite for a long time. Even after Harbaugh turned his career around he still felt like just a mediocre QB whose ceiling was pretty much topped out under Harbaugh. After two good seasons he still wasn't a guy worthy of his draft position. That's not to say we haven't had bad draft picks who played much worse than Alex did, but being the QB he gets more attention and scrutiny.

I am not somebody who rags on him just to do it either. I liked the pick when it was made but have become wary over the years. Plus we could have had Aaron Rodgers.
The JJ Stokes trade really set the table for a bad run. We traded up for a guy who never did much, lost an extra pick and missed out on Ray Lewis.
Alex Smith should be on that list. His suckage and then his mediocrity was just good enough to keep him around for 8 years but his talent was never even close to being the #1 overall pick. The amount of time and effort they wasted on him kept the organization from moving on to someone else.

One thing is for sure the current administration would have moved on much quicker.

Granted Smith should not have been a number one pick, but your bias is blinding you. He was unfairly thrust into a situation no one should have endured, with unrealistic expectations and virtually no supporting cast and poor guidance. Add all those offenses and coordinators and all the pressure from the media and fans (such as yourself) and you have a certain formula for, if not failure, then at least unrealized performance. Give the poor guy a break. He doesn't even compare to such picks as Druckenmiller. Woods, Stokes (who cost us all those draft picks), Balmer, Jenkins, the list goes on.

Originally posted by 4evrfan:

Granted Smith should not have been a number one pick, but your bias is blinding you. He was unfairly thrust into a situation no one should have endured, with unrealistic expectations and virtually no supporting cast and poor guidance. Add all those offenses and coordinators and all the pressure from the media and fans (such as yourself) and you have a certain formula for, if not failure, then at least unrealized performance. Give the poor guy a break. He doesn't even compare to such picks as Druckenmiller. Woods, Stokes (who cost us all those draft picks), Balmer, Jenkins, the list goes on.

this
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

That is kind of the point of this thread. If we are going to go through every excuse imaginable there are almost infinite amounts of worthless players drafted that contributed much less than Alex did. In terms of YOUR worst niner draft pick though Alex is viable. He was a high profile pick that was supposed to be the answer and regardless of the circumstances he wasn't. I feel like I am beating a dead horse but that pick stuck with me for a lot longer than most on this list.

Don't get me wrong I like Alex and LOVED him under Harbaugh but that was a bad pick. Even if the team was in disarray it was the wrong guy at the wrong time.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Agree with all this

Yeah, led us to 19-5 record, NFC championship, 70% completion pct and then traded for two high draft picks only because his backup is on the verge of becoming one of the most dynamic QBs in NFL history. Total mediocrity.
Originally posted by davide49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Agree with all this

Yeah, led us to 19-5 record, NFC championship, 70% completion pct and then traded for two high draft picks only because his backup is on the verge of becoming one of the most dynamic QBs in NFL history. Total mediocrity.

with all of that... still not even close to a Probowl alternate
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:
That is kind of the point of this thread. If we are going to go through every excuse imaginable there are almost infinite amounts of worthless players drafted that contributed much less than Alex did. In terms of YOUR worst niner draft pick though Alex is viable. He was a high profile pick that was supposed to be the answer and regardless of the circumstances he wasn't. I feel like I am beating a dead horse but that pick stuck with me for a lot longer than most on this list.

Don't get me wrong I like Alex and LOVED him under Harbaugh but that was a bad pick. Even if the team was in disarray it was the wrong guy at the wrong time.

So we should have picked someone else in the top 5 then? Who? Go look at that draft and tell me anyone stands out, because NONE of them did.

We had the #1 pick in one of the worst drafts in the past 20 years. It was a no-win situation. Given a good supporting cast and a legitimate coaching staff, Alex would have been successful throughout his tenure here.
Share 49ersWebzone