LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Originally posted by Aussie49ah:
Glenn coffee. Guy didn't even wanna play football that's a horrible draft pick from top to bottom.

Would be my pick as well
Originally posted by defenderDX:
all I said was this?

Haha. I should have hit the quote + button. "This" was in response to "Alex Smith".
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by English:
Stokes.

He was a so-so player who played for a few years and didn't do too bad. He had the value of a mid range pick, say a 4th rounder.

But he cost us TWO first rounders, both, iirc, mid-to-high.

All the others only cost is one. And a late one in most cases.

He indirectly cost us Lombardi #6 if you consider that the '96 draft pick we sent to Cleveland (who became the Ravens) to get Stokes was used by Baltimore to draft Ray Lewis....
did you just say that?

Would be my pick as well

LOL quit because he wanted to be a priest or some BS then got popped for illegal gun possession and drugs I think? Then played semi pro. What a winner.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by cciowa:
and before people get nuts,,, i am sure juicy does not HATE the front office or want other people back. It is very ok to question the front office on moves like this but still be supportive. If i put words in juicys mouth, i am sorry. i hate jenkins but you are right,, it was not his fault he was picked that high as i am sure it came as a pleasant shock to him

I like our FO just feel they get a little "cute" with there picks sometimes. Aldon was a fantastic pick but AJ was down right horrible. Well see on Reid if he was a reach. I will say soon these 1-15 picks before balke will be leaving and well have a better picture then. I think we'll have a better picture in a year or two after we settle some contracts and these draft picks are supposed to step up.

Edit horribly written sorry. Quickly done on break
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by davide49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
this

This represents the worst of 49er nation. Every thread turns into a talk #$@$ about Alex session, which is beyond comprehension due to the horrible way he was mismanaged for so many years, only to reach fantastic success when he finally had a good supporting cast. Alex is a class act and fans like this don't deserve a player of his caliber. Never mind the fact that Rodgers went over 20 picks later right?

The fact is that the 2005 draft was terrible. The best player at the time was likely Braylon Edwards, and we know how that turned out. NO ONE thought AR was the #1 pick. Was Alex worthy of a #1? Of course not, but is he even in the discussion for "worst Niner pick ever"? Absolutely not. He redeemed himself in 2011 and 2012 and all those that continue to bag on him should be ashamed of themselves.

My choice for this is Jim Drukenmiller. He was obviously a terrible fit for the WCO and just not a legit NFL QB prospect. Our scouting department in the late 90's was AWFUL.

Druckenmiller has my vote as well, though Jenkins has to be near the top simply because, as a first round pick, not to be good enough to even suit up, and then to have zero catches into his second year......Pathetic. The Druckenmiller choice though.......even more mystifying. Like another cannon-armed QB, Jamarcus Russell, he was physically imposing (he could bench as much as some linemen; whoopee), but was lost as a QB. Some choices by the so-called experts leave you stupefied!
J.J. Stokes? Worst 49er draft pick of all time?

GIVE ME A BREAK.
Several years of solid contribution is better than nothing. I don't care if he cost us two first rounders or three first rounders.
Spending one first round pick on ZILCH NADA NOTHING is always the worst. Nothing is worse than 0.
Jeff Bregel in the mid 90s (OG) was a second round pick (35ish) and didn't get much playing time.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by cciowa:
and before people get nuts,,, i am sure juicy does not HATE the front office or want other people back. It is very ok to question the front office on moves like this but still be supportive. If i put words in juicys mouth, i am sorry. i hate jenkins but you are right,, it was not his fault he was picked that high as i am sure it came as a pleasant shock to him

I like our FO just feel they get a little "cute" with there picks sometimes. Aldon was a fantastic pick but AJ was down right horrible. Well see on Reid if he was a reach. I will say soon these 1-15 picks before balke will be leaving and well have a better picture then. I think we'll have a better picture in a year or two after we settle some contracts and these draft picks are supposed to step up.

Edit horribly written sorry. Quickly done on break
agree, the coaches get a little to cute with their playing calling to but thats a whole other story for a whole other thread for a whole other bottle of advil
All these bad picks have to be weighted against who was the Niners GM at the time...McVeigh, Walsh and even Policy/Clark may be forgiven for most of their egregious faux pas in the draft cos their teams delivered trophies (though the Policy/Clark team dug the Niners into salary cap hell in the mid-late 90s) Walsh made the big swing and miss with Carmazzi over Brady during his short stint in the early 2000s but as stated every other team passed on Brady multiple times. Donahue was atrocious but you could argue he was given a rotting apple to begin with and he just accelerated the decay so the Niners could start rebuilding sooner rather than later...I give Nolan more credit than McCloughan for having the good drafts of 05-07 as we saw when Scotty Scotch was given more leeway in 08 how underwhelming that draft went...Baalke has been alternating between good and subpar drafts, but he has the credit along with Harbaugh of actually delivering playoff teams with the promise of more and hopefully more trophies coming...

JJ Stokes was a servicable player that was decent.

Balmer....the end.
All these bad picks have to be weighted against who was the Niners GM at the time...McVeigh, Walsh and even Policy/Clark may be forgiven for most of their egregious faux pas in the draft cos their teams delivered trophies (though the Policy/Clark team dug the Niners into salary cap hell in the mid-late 90s) Walsh made the big swing and miss with Carmazzi over Brady during his short stint in the early 2000s but as stated every other team passed on Brady multiple times. Donahue was atrocious but you could argue he was given a rotting apple to begin with and he just accelerated the decay so the Niners could start rebuilding sooner rather than later...I give Nolan more credit than McCloughan for having the good drafts of 05-07 as we saw when Scotty Scotch was given more leeway in 08 how underwhelming that draft went...Baalke has been alternating between good and subpar drafts, but he has the credit along with Harbaugh of actually delivering playoff teams with the promise of more and hopefully more trophies coming...

Well said.
What needs to also be weighed in when determining a player was the "worst draft pick" is the amount of expectation and hope placed in that player to contribute significantly to the Niners. Can't really call someone like Ifeayani or even Carmazzi one of the worst picks (with hindsight of whom the Niners could've picked instead skewing much opinion) when at the time such players were mainly drafted for depth and the low expectation of being likely career backups. Of course the QBs drafted expected to save the franchise....lol jk, at least he contributed significantly for a season and a half
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Aug 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM ]
has to be jenkins. 0 starts 0 catches 1 drop in a career

woods caught a td
drunkenmiller beat the rams as a rookie
mcgrew i'm sure made a tackle at some point
balmer see mcgrew
jj was supposed to be the next jerry lol he was a good to ok WR
others who cares
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex Smith should be on that list. His suckage and then his mediocrity was just good enough to keep him around for 8 years but his talent was never even close to being the #1 overall pick. The amount of time and effort they wasted on him kept the organization from moving on to someone else.

One thing is for sure the current administration would have moved on much quicker.
Share 49ersWebzone