There are 189 users in the forums

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Kentwan Balmer and it's not close.

Just a list of a few names drafted after Balmer.

1. Matt Forte (44)
2. Desean Jackson (49)
3. Ray Rice (55)
4. Jamaal Charles (73)

Just to name a few. The true measure of a failed draft pick is comparing it against what might have been. Nevermind that we followed Balmer's selection by choosing Cilo Rachal. A true and utter failure of 2 high draft selections.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
I think its comical that JJ Stokes is on that list.

of course this is the truth,, sure he was not worth what we paid but he was far far not the worst pick we ever had. i would have been happy with stokes or even battle numbers from jenkins
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
That whole list is the Hall of Shame.

IMO, Druckenmiller
I picked Druck as well. He was one of those picks that your jaw dropped when they made the pick. If the Raiders had drafted him it wouldn't be a surprise but when the Niners did, I felt embarrassed.

AJ shouldn't even be on the list. This is like one of those espn polls where everyone over-reacts to the lastest thing...(Ask people who is the greatest home run hitter of all time after McGwire hits his 500 HR, and everyone will vote for him. Wait a couple of years till Griffey Jr hits his 500th, and he will win the vote. Then wait a year and have the same question in the off-season when there is no emotion and neither guy wins the vote).

AJ is only going into his second season. He wasn't looking good but many wr's don't produce till later (Carter, White, Crabs, etc...) He can still be a good football player in a system that suits him better.
Lol at the Jenkins votes. He didn't set the team back one bit like Balmer did when we were dying for D-lineman, or Rumph did when we had the worst passing D in the league, or any QB drafted after Young or during Garcia when we knew TO was feuding with him. THOSE picks set us back, stokes, Jenkins, etc were luxury picks and even though they were misses, they did not hurt the franchise much if at all because we weren't dying for that help like when the niners sucked.
  • Jiks
I blame the AJ pick on the front office. Taking a 3rd round talent in the first was down right horrible scouting. Can't really be too hard on the guy. A lot of these other guys were just flat out busts that weren't necessarily a huge reach like AJ.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I blame the AJ pick on the front office. Taking a 3rd round talent in the first was down right horrible scouting. Can't really be too hard on the guy. A lot of these other guys were just flat out busts that weren't necessarily a huge reach like AJ.
true. not sure what they saw on film from him, did they pull a al davis and fall in love with his speed? i do not watch college football so i wonder if there were any signs of his inability to get off the line of scrimmage, which was his final nail, in college? i guess they "thought or hoped" he would bulk up and improve in that area. but friday sealed his doom against a average or above average corner
This
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
and before people get nuts,,, i am sure juicy does not HATE the front office or want other people back. It is very ok to question the front office on moves like this but still be supportive. If i put words in juicys mouth, i am sorry. i hate jenkins but you are right,, it was not his fault he was picked that high as i am sure it came as a pleasant shock to him
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Woods easily because of how much I wanted Wilfork.

" "
Originally posted by rapid4:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Woods easily because of how much I wanted Wilfork.

" "

THIS. Easily this.

Muscle Hamster got picked right after AJ

imagine having him and Gore in dat backfield tho

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Originally posted by gold49digger:
To me it was Balmer. At least Jenkins had physical attributes. Balmer had nothing to offer

We knew Balmer was no good when we picked him. Others were worse because we had some expectations.
Originally posted by English:
Stokes.

He was a so-so player who played for a few years and didn't do too bad. He had the value of a mid range pick, say a 4th rounder.

But he cost us TWO first rounders, both, iirc, mid-to-high.

All the others only cost is one. And a late one in most cases.

He indirectly cost us Lombardi #6 if you consider that the '96 draft pick we sent to Cleveland (who became the Ravens) to get Stokes was used by Baltimore to draft Ray Lewis....I know Lewis didn't contribute much play wise in last seasons playoffs, but he was the rallying point for Baltimore, and the Niners probably face a different team in NoLA though now we're getting deep into the Star Trek alternate universe space time continum territory here
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
this

This represents the worst of 49er nation. Every thread turns into a talk #$@$ about Alex session, which is beyond comprehension due to the horrible way he was mismanaged for so many years, only to reach fantastic success when he finally had a good supporting cast. Alex is a class act and fans like this don't deserve a player of his caliber. Never mind the fact that Rodgers went over 20 picks later right?

The fact is that the 2005 draft was terrible. The best player at the time was likely Braylon Edwards, and we know how that turned out. NO ONE thought AR was the #1 pick. Was Alex worthy of a #1? Of course not, but is he even in the discussion for "worst Niner pick ever"? Absolutely not. He redeemed himself in 2011 and 2012 and all those that continue to bag on him should be ashamed of themselves.

My choice for this is Jim Drukenmiller. He was obviously a terrible fit for the WCO and just not a legit NFL QB prospect. Our scouting department in the late 90's was AWFUL.
Originally posted by davide49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
this

This represents the worst of 49er nation. Every thread turns into a talk #$@$ about Alex session, which is beyond comprehension due to the horrible way he was mismanaged for so many years, only to reach fantastic success when he finally had a good supporting cast. Alex is a class act and fans like this don't deserve a player of his caliber. Never mind the fact that Rodgers went over 20 picks later right?

The fact is that the 2005 draft was terrible. The best player at the time was likely Braylon Edwards, and we know how that turned out. NO ONE thought AR was the #1 pick. Was Alex worthy of a #1? Of course not, but is he even in the discussion for "worst Niner pick ever"? Absolutely not. He redeemed himself in 2011 and 2012 and all those that continue to bag on him should be ashamed of themselves.

My choice for this is Jim Drukenmiller. He was obviously a terrible fit for the WCO and just not a legit NFL QB prospect. Our scouting department in the late 90's was AWFUL.

all I said was this?
Share 49ersWebzone