There are 165 users in the forums

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

I have a hard time voting for Jenkins. He had one season on a team that went to the Super Bowl. He clearly wasn't working out, but he still only had one season. There's still some time to prove he doesn't belong on the list. other guys on the list had years to prove that they sucked.
It's telling how many people voted for Jenkins. Time heals all wounds I guess. It's like when you look at the top movies of all time on IMDB and there's a preponderance of recent movies, even though they pretty much suck and are entirely dependent on CGI.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
has to be jenkins. 0 starts 0 catches 1 drop in a career

woods caught a td
drunkenmiller beat the rams as a rookie
mcgrew i'm sure made a tackle at some point
balmer see mcgrew
jj was supposed to be the next jerry lol he was a good to ok WR
others who cares

Not fair to call him a bust. He never got the chances that Mays, Balmer, Harris, and even Alex did.

Alex would be the ultimate bust if on list. He had 6 suckage years here. Worst #1 pick by us. Yeah he had a good 2011, but he didn't throw many TDs, he was a game manager. A 1st pick should be a TD machine. And Alex isnt.

he wasn't the savior we all wanted...but if anyone thinks rodgers woulda fared better with nolan and singletary smh. 1 year he played half his games with a separated throwing shoulder because his coach said he was fine and he didn't want to look weak. come on that's not the sign of a bust.

the sign of a bust is when the GoAT asks to train you and you blow him off and show up outta shape and start getting put on your tail in training camp and then proceed to drop the only pass thrown your way while u are running wide open.

alex >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> jenkins

Not saying Rodgers would of played better. But we took Alex not Rodgers. And by my evaluations, Alex was the worst #1 pick by us. He was s**t, mediocre, and every thing in between for 6 years. He got lucky with Harbaugh. He had what 17 TDs, a #1 pick has 25+ TD passes. Not in the teens. He was never a passing QB. He was injury prone.

Jenkins showed some potential, more than Alex did in 6 years of suckage. I dont get the Alex love, is it because of Harbaugh, because If I remember correctly, only us wanted Alex back. Miami had a chance, and passed in 2012 offseason. He had no other option. He isn't Tim Tebow. But he isn't a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers was the local kid, he should of been the pick. Nolan and Scot M are/were idiots. They didn't know how to manage a roster. Signing busts like Jonas Jennings to a huge deal. Nate Clements never panned out, $45M for a CB that wasn't great here, not even very good. And 30M for a SS Michael Lewis, who I liked, but wasn't the best.

Then Tully Banta-Cain, Dilfer(Yeah, he sucked), the list goes on and on. Alex couldn't stay healthy. I was saying hell yeah when he was traded, we have a better option, in Kaepernick. Younger, Faster, and better.

False.

Jenkins didn't show any potential nor did he produce anything....

Alex showed potential in 2006 with Norv as OC and finally produced when he had great coaching with Harbaugh at his side. Also he had 10 Td's that year by the Lions game week 5. after that they turned up the running game and he wasn't asked to throw for crazy yards or TD's. also our WR core wasn't great (see NFCC Game) and Crabtree didn't explode until 2nd half of last season.

the team signing multiple FA busts isn't on Alex that's on nolan and crew.

Kaepernick > Alex no arguement here but to say Alex was horrible isn't true he was average that's it. he was over drafted...we wanted another Joe or Steve and he wasn't that but he wasn't a "bust".
Rashaun Woods for sure. We picked him with the hopes of helping to improve our suffering franchise. Instead he did absolutely nothing and was a HUGE setback for the organization. At least we could still get to the Superbowl with Jenkins, we didn't really need him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jenkins was awful. But If we are judging this based off of impact, then it's easy to realize that Rashaun Woods had an enormously negative impact, while Jenkins had literally no impact whatsoever. Ill pick the negative over the null in this case.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Didnt we trade two first to move up for JJ Stokes? surprised it down around 3%

We had a few picks where the guy wasnt even in the league the next year, lots to choose from
.... Israel Ifeanyi
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Amazingly, out of all those picks Jenkins contributed the least. At least he never got the chance to screw us over in a game. Carmazzi didn't do s**t neither, but he was a 3rd rounder so I don't even care about him.

Yes but picking Carmazzi in the 3rd stings a bit when that was the year Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th. I get that everyone passed on Brady, etc., etc., but we took two QBs in that draft - Carmazzi and Rattay - and we definitely need a QB and whiffed on a hall of famer. Ugh.
False.

Jenkins didn't show any potential nor did he produce anything....

Alex showed potential in 2006 with Norv as OC and finally produced when he had great coaching with Harbaugh at his side. Also he had 10 Td's that year by the Lions game week 5. after that they turned up the running game and he wasn't asked to throw for crazy yards or TD's. also our WR core wasn't great (see NFCC Game) and Crabtree didn't explode until 2nd half of last season.

the team signing multiple FA busts isn't on Alex that's on nolan and crew.

Kaepernick > Alex no arguement here but to say Alex was horrible isn't true he was average that's it. he was over drafted...we wanted another Joe or Steve and he wasn't that but he wasn't a "bust".

Yes Alex was a bust, he was the whipping boy by many people. He never produced. A #1 Pck should of been a all pro, pro bowler, year in year out. Screw coaching staff. He was a 1yr wonder in 2011, then got hurt in 2012. He was injury prone. I don't get why people still defend Alex, look how bad he played against our 1st team defense. Same old Alex, a game manager. Should be a 30+ TDs a year, not 17 TDs. He played safe.

Jenkins showed potential in preseason. Because of his lack of playing time in 2012 he is automatically a bust is false. He never got the reps, he had 5 guys above him. You never call a player a bust after 1 season now a days. Alex did show some potential under Norv, but did we make the playoffs? No, and what happend when he left, Alex went back to garbage. His best yr was 2011. And thats awful compared to rooks like Wilson, RG3, Luck, Cam Newton.
Yes Alex was a bust, he was the whipping boy by many people. He never produced. A #1 Pck should of been a all pro, pro bowler, year in year out. Screw coaching staff. He was a 1yr wonder in 2011, then got hurt in 2012. He was injury prone. I don't get why people still defend Alex, look how bad he played against our 1st team defense. Same old Alex, a game manager. Should be a 30+ TDs a year, not 17 TDs. He played safe.

Jenkins showed potential in preseason. Because of his lack of playing time in 2012 he is automatically a bust is false. He never got the reps, he had 5 guys above him. You never call a player a bust after 1 season now a days. Alex did show some potential under Norv, but did we make the playoffs? No, and what happend when he left, Alex went back to garbage. His best yr was 2011. And thats awful compared to rooks like Wilson, RG3, Luck, Cam Newton.

wow... you have like zero appreciation or understanding of what good coaching and upgraded player positions can do for a QB? Alex should walk on water despite having awful pass pro, questionable weapons, and horrendous Mike + Mike coaching? Wilson on an already good team, Luck being an actual legit #1 overall pick (who still didn't put up vastly superior numbers to what Alex did in yr 2 with Norv, and the other two being scrambling backyard ballers that can camouflage their early flaws. All of the aforementioned being older than Alex was.

I'm happy to NOT defend Smith... especially in a thread that has no business mentioning his name... but oh c'mon... this post of yours begged me to.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

wow... you have like zero appreciation or understanding of what good coaching and upgraded player positions can do for a QB? Alex should walk on water despite having awful pass pro, questionable weapons, and horrendous Mike + Mike coaching? Wilson on an already good team, Luck being an actual legit #1 overall pick (who still didn't put up vastly superior numbers to what Alex did in yr 2 with Norv, and the other two being scrambling backyard ballers that can camouflage their early flaws. All of the aforementioned being older than Alex was.

I'm happy to NOT defend Smith... especially in a thread that has no business mentioning his name... but oh c'mon... this post of yours begged me to.
damn i like both of these posters very much and i like alex very much so the only thing i will say is that mike martz was a horrid pick and in my opinion, he is bad for any quarterback in the nfl, nolan could put a team together but had no clue what to do with the players

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

It'll never end. As someone said, it takes all kinds, even those who chanted "We want Carr!".
Combine those with folks who never want to admit they're wrong, and you get people that still hate on Alex; even after he redeemed himself, after he was traded for two picks and despite the fact that his name should not be mentioned in this thread.
And my main reasoning for Alex is he was supposed to be the savior, as the top pick, you should be the next best thing. And he wasn't.
And everyone knew that there were no "saviors" in that draft, so your expectations were totally unrealistic from the start. The use of the word savior is all you need to know to understand the psychology of fans out there who take player performance so personally and develop such deep seeded grudges against players.
Originally posted by davide49:
And my main reasoning for Alex is he was supposed to be the savior, as the top pick, you should be the next best thing. And he wasn't.
And everyone knew that there were no "saviors" in that draft, so your expectations were totally unrealistic from the start. The use of the word savior is all you need to know to understand the psychology of fans out there who take player performance so personally and develop such deep seeded grudges against players.

Aaron Rodg---- oh, nevermind!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Justin I dont doubt he had heart. And he couldn't help getting injured. But we all get caught up in the injury prone issue. And he was. I hope he does great in KC, I just doubt he will be "The Best QB" Like his GM said he was.

A.J. showed potential in preseason 2012, but nothing else. I dont think AJ was great, or even good. Alex never showed potential until Harbaugh got here. 11 INTs in yr 1, and 1 TD. I dont care if the team was bad. Alex had no right being the #1 pick. That whole 2005 1st rd sucked. It was the worst time to get the top pick. We should of taken Rodgers. Rodgers throws over 30 TDs, Alex 18 TDs.

I dont hate Alex, like I dont hate AJ, but Alex was crap here. And those who say he "lead" us to the NFC Champ game are fooling themselves. Our D was the reason. What was it, 20 something in Turnover differential. The Defense was the reason.

With the ultimate cluster f**k that Nolan created, I really doubt Rodgers would be a major upgrade at the time. The OL was shabby, the WR situation was pretty bad, and even Vernon didn't get it until Sing straightened his ass out. We were drafting that high for a reason and throwing a rookie out that fast with a team that bad is a recipe for disaster. In Alex's defense (in a lock out year) he looked good with Harbs. Had he been in that situation day 1, I think the legacy of Smith would be a lot different. Part of what makes a bust is not giving the extra effort or having heart. While Alex can be classified as a letdown, I dont look at him like a JaMarcus or Leaf. I think he was just given a s**t sandwich year after year and by the time the proper help arrived he was replaced.

Love it or hate it we dont get to the NFCCG without a stable QB.

Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Aaron Rodg---- oh, nevermind!

WHERE WAS HE DRAFTED? Answer that question please!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
they should have brought back garcia to help out alex but thats a whole other story,, sorry mods,, i could not help myself back to topic,, lets just agree to never draft another wide out with the first round, no offense to crabs
Share 49ersWebzone