There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Preseason 2013 - Week 2: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

10) Alex Smith: Poor KC. I have always liked Alex and have defended him on this forum for years. I don't want what I'm about to say to come of as Alex-bashing because I don't want that conversation. I have been one of those guys coming to his defense for years.

Having said that tho, I have always recognized his weaknesses. the problem I see in KC is that they are trying to make him something he's not. He is never going to be a vertical passer. The trade for Jenkins is just another example to me...looking for speed over size. Alex is the same guy he's always been...king of the 8 yard pass. If they understand who he is, they can have success with him. I just don't see that tho....I see Reid getting faster WRs to hit deep...a pass Alex has NEVER been able to complete.

I predict a QB controversy will spark in KC...in week 8!

Week 8, try week 4 when they are 0 and 4.
Originally posted by 9erred:

10) Alex Smith: Poor KC. I have always liked Alex and have defended him on this forum for years. I don't want what I'm about to say to come of as Alex-bashing because I don't want that conversation. I have been one of those guys coming to his defense for years.

Having said that tho, I have always recognized his weaknesses. the problem I see in KC is that they are trying to make him something he's not. He is never going to be a vertical passer. The trade for Jenkins is just another example to me...looking for speed over size. Alex is the same guy he's always been...king of the 8 yard pass. If they understand who he is, they can have success with him. I just don't see that tho....I see Reid getting faster WRs to hit deep...a pass Alex has NEVER been able to complete.

try next week
Also worth noting.....

Lemoniers sack came against 1st overall pick Eric Fisher.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Somehow I am not at all surprised to see no mention of Kaep overthrowing a wide open WR in the EZ.. and then to see "a once great defender of Alex" take the usual jabs at him. Well done, Marv. Enjoyed it anyway.

Is anyone surprised oldman49er instantly turns this into Alex vs. Kaepernick?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9erred:

try next week

You guys are the best. mean it.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Somehow I am not at all surprised to see no mention of Kaep overthrowing a wide open WR in the EZ.. and then to see "a once great defender of Alex" take the usual jabs at him. Well done, Marv. Enjoyed it anyway.

not surprised at all.
On to a new Topic... Kilgore vs Goodwin. Kilgore was remarkably dominant against Sylvester Williams, while Goodwin handled Poe decently.

The main difference I noticed is that Goodwin = brickwall, meaning he wont go far but he wont get moved, his strength his to wall off the defender and negate him from any impact of the play, but he doesnt always get the push you would want in the run game. On the other side you have Kilgore who is far more athletic, and gets push and has more of a chance to get to the second level on a successful run. having watched every snap of the past two games multiple times, I am more of a fan of Kilgore at C over Goodwin because he gives us more athleticism along the line, more opportunity to break off a great run play. Its not that Goodwin is bad, he plays well and never gets moved but its hard not to acknowledge Kilgores ability to handle his guy and then move on to the next block where Goodwin sticks to his guy.

Anyone elses thoughts are greatly appreciated...
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Thanks Marvin, I know I'm in the minority but Tolzien showed a little something. If he gets no playing time the next few weeks he's gone. I've been touting Cox as someone to watch, could be a star. LMJ losing some shine.

LMJ still looks like he's having a tough time pass blocking. At Oregon, he would get tackled at the mesh point without the ball, or chip the OLB/DE on his way to "the flat." I hoped he would have made some huge strides in that area, but he obviously still has some work to do. Luckily, he's young and has some time to improve.

Help us get to The 'Stick!
http://www.gofundme.com/3wkpao
Just finished watching the game on DVR for the 3rd time.

* I still contend LMJ lacks vision. There were plenty of times LMJ was running through garage size wholes and just couldn't turn it into anything. He was not as elusive as you would expect from a "small" back and it was frustrating watching him fall to the ground because a defender happened to get one arm on him. It almost seems like he's regressed.

* So glad AJ is gone. Dude just can't stay on his feet at all. He was physically dominated every which way. I've never seen a WR get pushed to the ground so easily by a CB. Thank God we dumped this guy and for what appears to be a steal.

* Does anyone know why in the world Gore always cuts back into the middle of the field on long runs? That's at least the second or third time I've seen him do that.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by DVDA:

not surprised at all.

Since when is good analysis considered a jab?

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

... am sure Marv will find a way to squeeze it in for the preseason game 3 review of the 49ers/Vikes.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

... am sure Marv will find a way to squeeze it in for the preseason game 3 review of the 49ers/Vikes.

Methinks you take any mention of Alex Smith a bit too personal. I wasn't making a dig. I was stating the truth in my eyes.

Is there anything I said about Alex that isn't true? I only mentioned it because I actually want him to succeed and I think the Chiefs may be setting him up for failure. Saying that I think its a bad move to make Christian Okoye run sweeps all day isn't a dig at Christian. It would be a comment on how he is being mis-used.
-I want to keep Kaep out all pre season. Not worth risking injury. Our back up QB situation is an absolute clown show.

-Defense is better than I thought.

-Re: Alex- I thought he did well vs the saints and didn't do well against us (to be expected). Our defense knows him the best and frankly our defense is pretty deep. I still think the chiefs do ok and end up 7-9 or better. Hopefully 8-8 so we get a 2nd rounder.
6) Frank: Frank is just fine thank you. If he's healthy, another fine year for #21

*Knocks on wood*

Dude...seriously? He's 5 for 6 in the Preseason. He's played 2 drives and they scored on both. LOL.

MUCH bigger fish to fry.

Either way, Kaep still over cooked that throw. Do you think Hall doesn't deserve a roster space due to size?

Frank is ok, yes. But no one should expect him to take it to the house this season. Old knees are slowing down.

I thought you could have mentioned our own O-Line(backup) struggles as well. It's hard to evaluate from watching a stream but we weren't good when the OL starters left contributing to the QB & WR struggles. Snyder still sucks - I don't want that turnstyle on our team now.

Defense, was amazing though. Fully agree.