LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
I am excited about the Baldwin pick up!!! I think he will become a stud playing for us. Qb play can make or break a WR, look no further than our own Michael Crabtree for proof.

Can we please retire the word "stud"????

Please?!?
i just want him to be more than respectable for us and lighten the load a bit off of boldin. i just figure anything is better than what jenkins gave us. if this guy gives us the same type of "production" that jenkins did, well than kansas city was right about him. I tend to think he will flourish in our system with our players , coaches and overall culture and climate that has been created here.

I think Baldwin can improve a lot with us because of all those factors you mentioned. But, frankly even if he can't fully realize his potential, I find it hard to believe he can be any worse than Jenkins.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I think Baldwin can improve a lot with us because of all those factors you mentioned. But, frankly even if he can't fully realize his potential, I find it hard to believe he can be any worse than Jenkins.
agree ten fold we got nothing out of jenkins so ten catches would be wonderfull. as many have said in practice jon has already caught more balls from ck than what jenkins caught in a year
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I am excited about the Baldwin pick up!!! I think he will become a stud playing for us. Qb play can make or break a WR, look no further than our own Michael Crabtree for proof.

good point. Last season, Crabs was basically invisible until Kaepernick showed up.

I think this is a misnomer. He was making plays all year. Before Kaepernick showed up, Crabtree was on a good pace. Kaepernick did help some and the numbers were better/higher, but the numbers weren't that much higher. To fairly distribute, here are the numbers he had with each QB.

* Smith played 8.25 games (He only played about one quarter of the first Rams game and in that time Crabtree had 59 yards, 1 TD from Alex, and 11 yards from CK). You could also say he lost some time in the Giants game.
* Kaepernick played 8 full games at QB (Factoring in the entire quarter of the Rams game OT period, since it ended in a tie, the lost 1st quarter is negated). You could also say he gained some time in the Giants game.

Overall, here is the statistical distribution between the two QBs in approximately equal PT.

W/ Smith: 43 receptions for 499 yards, 4 TDs

W/ Kaepernick: 42 receptions, for 606 yards, 5 TDs.

The idea that Smith was "killing" Crabtree's production is ridiculous. Kaepernick is obviously a more prolific passer, but in about the same amount of action as Alex, the numbers were almost identical between Alex and the "more prolific passer."

-----------------------------------------------

Now, to be clear and in tying this all back in, Kaepernick does a better job getting the ball to his receivers deep and that's the main difference. With Baldwin being a deep threat, the throws CK hits more often will bode well for him, so Baldwin could do much better here. He'd have done better I'm sure with Alex than he would with Cassel, Quinn, etc. -- but I do agree with CK he would do better than all of the above.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

good point. Last season, Crabs was basically invisible until Kaepernick showed up.

I think this is a misnomer. He was making plays all year. Before Kaepernick showed up, Crabtree was on a good pace. Kaepernick did help some and the numbers were better/higher, but the numbers weren't that much higher. To fairly distribute, here are the numbers he had with each QB.

* Smith played 8.25 games (He only played about one quarter of the first Rams game and in that time Crabtree had 59 yards, 1 TD from Alex, and 11 yards from CK). You could also say he lost some time in the Giants game.
* Kaepernick played 8 full games at QB (Factoring in the entire quarter of the Rams game OT period, since it ended in a tie, the lost 1st quarter is negated). You could also say he gained some time in the Giants game.

Overall, here is the statistical distribution between the two QBs in approximately equal PT.

The idea that Smith was "killing" Crabtree's production is ridiculous. Kaepernick is obviously a more prolific passer, but in about the same amount of action as Alex, the numbers were almost identical between Alex and the "more prolific passer."

Now, to be clear and in tying this all back in, Kaepernick does a better job getting the ball to his receivers deep and that's the main difference. With Baldwin being a deep threat, the throws CK hits more often will bode well for him, so Baldwin could do much better here. He'd have done better I'm sure with Alex than he would with Cassel, Quinn, etc. -- but I do agree with CK he would do better than all of the above.

I get what you are getting it. But, 3 things :

• Kap was a basically a rookie in those 8 games (Smith was in his 7th year)
  • Even as a rookie, his production with Crab was higher
  • Based on those stats, you can easily see the length per pass was longer and thus more impressive for the "eye test" for people that are evaluating him which would serve well for Crab's career going forward

• Based on those stats, you can easily see the length per pass was longer and thus more impressive for the "eye test" for people that are evaluating him which would serve well for Crab's career going forward

It was Kaep 2nd season, quit calling him a rookie, he had two years of practices and playbook studying

Bingo, and those are all things that are a testament to the outstanding talent of Colin Kaepernick, not a knock on Alex. Both good QBs, but Colin is simply a better QB with still plenty of room to get even better. We're in great shape.

Originally posted by valrod33:
It was Kaep 2nd season, quit calling him a rookie, he had two years of practices and playbook studying

I agree with this as well.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]
almost 100 pages for a bust woot woot
Originally posted by stunder49:
almost 100 pages for a bust woot woot

I guess you didn't see how many pages the Alex thread was

Bingo, and those are all things that are a testament to the outstanding talent of Colin Kaepernick, not a knock on Alex. Both good QBs, but Colin is simply a better QB with still plenty of room to get even better. We're in great shape.

Originally posted by valrod33:

I agree with this as well.

true...but he was drafted in to a strike year...must take that into account too....
  • buck
  • Veteran

Two things.

1. Smith is no longer on the team.
2. Crabtree is not going to play much this year.

Originally posted by buck:
Yes. I did stretch things too far. Sorry.

Back to Baldwin.

He is in a new environment ( new teammates, new coaches, and a winning team).

I think that there is a very good chance that he will become a solid player.

It's all good.

About Baldwin: It's funny how hope springs eternal.

I admit to being negative towards Baldwin as a first reaction. But given that he isnow a Niner, I admit to some cautious optimism. Nothing worth discussing because it all has to show itself in fact . . . on the field of play. Which, objectively, he has not demonstrated to date.

However, some factors that may militate in his favor are the more positive locker room environment (it tough to overcome a situation where your ostraticized by your teammates because of an early altercation) and his measurables.

The thing that I have reservations about is if he takes up a roster spot without demonstrating anything (because of time constraints) and it causes the team to release someone who has proven value, i.e., Collie, but who falls victim to the numbers game because the team is hoping Baldwin will amount to something.

I understand why the team needs to keep Williams because he is literally the only guy that has a previous history with the team. I get that, but he would be a horrible #2. He's a bone fide #5 and worth keeping in that capacity for sure. But I would literally be if he made the roster and Collie didn't. All because Balwin MIGHT amount to something.

Honestly, I would rather keep Baldiwn and his POTENTIAL (for the role it would play in the Niners offense) over Williams and the amount that he has proven he can contribute. I agree that this would never happen, but I still don't like it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
This. Plus he's been so busy shooting commercials, getting tattoos, hanging out with gangster rappers, jumping off staircases on to pillows with his best friend, douching it up at awards shows, skipping leg work-outs at the gym, coordinating his matching hats, that he really hasn't had any offseason progress in either year. Not too mention all he did his rookie year is hang out with his turtle. Game one will basically be like the 11th game of his rookie season.

Sarcastic humor, right. oh well
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

The thing that I have reservations about is if he takes up a roster spot without demonstrating anything (because of time constraints) and it causes the team to release someone who has proven value, i.e., Collie, but who falls victim to the numbers game because the team is hoping Baldwin will amount to something.

To be fair, Baldwin has more career catches then Kyle Williams or the combined total of Chad Hall and Marlon Moore. So in reality he has "demonstrated" more then most the wrs that will make the team.
I really have no opinion about Baldwin, but I do remember thinking that KC got a steal during the draft (pairing him with Bowe)...

Hopefully he can blossom into a good receiver for us, but as long as he can at least catch a few balls a game, the trade is win in my book.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
It's all good.

About Baldwin: It's funny how hope springs eternal.

I admit to being negative towards Baldwin as a first reaction. But given that he isnow a Niner, I admit to some cautious optimism. Nothing worth discussing because it all has to show itself in fact . . . on the field of play. Which, objectively, he has not demonstrated to date.

However, some factors that may militate in his favor are the more positive locker room environment (it tough to overcome a situation where your ostraticized by your teammates because of an early altercation) and his measurables.

I understand why the team needs to keep Williams because he is literally the only guy that has a previous history with the team. I get that, but he would be a horrible #2. He's a bone fide #5 and worth keeping in that capacity for sure. But I would literally be if he made the roster and Collie didn't. All because Balwin MIGHT amount to something.

Honestly, I would rather keep Baldiwn and his POTENTIAL (for the role it would play in the Niners offense) over Williams and the amount that he has proven he can contribute. I agree that this would never happen, but I still don't like it.

Baldwin has about two weeks. I think he must demonstrate that he has a good attitude in those two weeks.

Collie is being brought around slowly because of his knee injury. Well, at least that is what I understand.

The coaching staff is going to consider intangibles, production, potential, and team need when they decide whom to keep and whom to cut.

My hope is that Baldwin, Collie, and Williams make the team. I am positive that Boldin, Moore, and Patton will make the team.

If the choice came down to one player among Baldwin, Collie, and Williams. I have no idea whom should be chosen.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone