There are 244 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
any info on this baldwin guy ?

Team: San Francisco 49ers Age / DOB: (24) / 8/10/1989 Ht / Wt: 6'4' / 230 College: Pittsburgh

Coach Andy Reid says Jon Baldwin needs to do a better job of catching the football.
"I can tell you that when given the opportunity in this league you'd better catch the football," Reid said. Through two preseason games, Baldwin has zero catches, and he seems to be falling even further behind Donnie Avery for the No. 2 receiver job. Baldwin has no ties to the new coaching staff, so it wouldn't come as a complete shock if he didn't make the team. He needs to step it up.

7/29/2011: Signed a four-year, $7.552 million contract. The deal included a $3.992 million signing bonus. 2013: $1,061,510 (+ $130,000 workout bonus), 2014: $1,274,765, 2015: Free Agent

All I can say at this point is I like the measurables, have always wanted a 6'3"+ 220 + lbs type guy, the rest I need to do some research about. Well, if he doesn't pan out, there is always Brandon Coleman in next year's draft I suppose.

It does not happen very often, but I agree with you. Well, almost, I still prefer midgets.
jon baldwin is a beast.... in madden
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Baldwin is a big, physically imposing receiver who has the ideal body for a wide receiver. For whatever reason, he was just never able to put it together in Kansas City. You can blame the quarterbacks but Dwayne Bowe was able to succeed with those same quarterbacks. Baldwin struggled with getting off the line in press coverage and never seemed comfortable in Kansas City. He drops easy passes while makes incredibly athletic receptions, and that's just it: He's inconsistent. If the light bulb can go on, Baldwin's physical presence could leave 49ers fans hopeful. But in two years in Kansas City, we never saw that.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/8/19/4636710/jon-baldwin-scouting-report-aj-jenkins-trade-49ers
Originally posted by Raul98:
I don't get it they just talked about Baldwin on friday about how slow his career has started basically comparing him to AJ now they trade for him i'm so mad at the AJ pick I HATED the pick when he was drafted and now this UGH!!!!

Hah. Baldwin's career shot up like a rocket compared to AJ.
Hilarious. Swap first round busts.
Kaepernick gonna make him a star.
IMO a big reason for the sucky performance of both McCoy and Tolzien has been all those 77 passes to AJ (A Joke) Jenkins. I suspect all the qbs were vastly relieved to see his backside exiting the premises.
He probably needs a "high ankle sprain" ... .
I don't think this trade will amount to much for either team. Perhaps it's a way to trade each other's problem as AJ was getting far too much coverage and had become a distraction for the 49ers publicly. Style-wise, I'm not sure he would have held up against the bigger and more physical CB's of the Seahawks nor been much help in run blocking. His only real asset to the team was as a down field threat and, quite frankly, he wasn't getting open enough.
I really feel bad for Jenkins, but I'm glad cause if this didn't happen I totally would have seen Jenkins pulling the "Glenn Coffee" card at some point this year. -Our front office really is the best in the NFL, most teams have a dozen horrible first round wide receivers like this, yet they continue to float them along (due to the 'money' factor).

-Maybe he'd get more chances on a 'building' franchise, but this is a team still primed/set to get a Superbowl trophy, so this guy just has no place.

Meh give the fans another whipping boy.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I find it hard to believe that the 49ers gave up on a 1st round draft choice after just one season and two preseason games. They either realize that they whiffed very badly on this pick, OR, never thought he'd develop with the 49ers and so he's been given a shot elsewhere.

Wow. Really surprising.

Definitely that. He had every opportunity last season to make a statement. dude ends up getting passed up by Swain. The staff probably saw Zero improvement from him and decided to cut their losses.

He was given an extraordinary number of chances to show something through the first two games. I thought upper body strength was a problem last year and had expected him to be much more bulked up this year. I was somewhat surprised when he pretty much looked like the same player.

I'm surprised by this. I really am. Normally? Teams don't give up on 1st round draft choices this quickly. Something must have happened behind the scenes that led to this. I imagine we'll find out more as the story comes out.

Perhaps he did or said something during/after the preseason game against the Chefs?
Originally posted by Scoots:
Baldwin does have something the team otherwise lacked ... a big guy for jump balls ... something Baldwin has actually done okay at.

Don't know if he makes the team though ... he better show a lot in the next week of practice.

I hope Baldwin and Vance McDonald are spending 2 hours a day with the Juggs machine.

"I hope Baldwin and Vance McDonald are spending 2 hours a day with the Juggs machine". +1
Absolutely Brilliant!!

Jenkins couldn't have been "cut" without taking a very large Salary Cap hit. Great move by Baalke.

We trade Jenkins, get rid of the Cap hit, and we CAN cut Baldwin with zero impact unless he can make the team. Or trade him to someone else.

I really like what Baalke did, instead of digging in his heels and sticking w/ a definite mistake - he gets rid of him and we just move on.
..... sounds like we're just making it easier to cut someone in 2014
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone