LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

• buck
  • Veteran
Consolation prize: Who could land on the practice squad?

Article has a list of what players are eligible for the practice squad. Baldwin is not on the list.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/21/consolation-prize-who-could-land-on-the-practice-squad/
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think Baldwin might go onto the PS if he is eligible? I think they want to try him as a successor to Boldin to go up and fight for the balls.

From the history, he looks like someone Harbaugh wanted in college and now wants to turn around. Interesting on some reports that Kaep didn't back AJ, I wonder if that was because he barely showed to Atlanta - he was a week late iirc.

Whatever the reason, I think it's AJ's lack of work ethic that got him traded, and this is probably a wake up call to both AJ and Baldwin that they cannot coast in the NFL. I can't see Baldwin starting but I think he'll be viewed as a developmental prospect and cut if he doesn't show the work ethic expected.

I doubt that Baldwin is eligible for the practice squad.

But, if he is, I do not think the will assigned to the practice squad.

Pretty sure that if you ever made a final 53, you're not eligible for practice squad. Plus, maybe only eligible for first 2 or 3 years.

you have to pass through waivers first, then you get signed on the practice squad...but that would be a big slap in the face to a 3 rd year player. Most teams won't even offer the PS because of that.
"I really feel the same a year ago when I made those comments. I don't think it's fair to bully or label a young player," Harbaugh said.

See, this is why players love Harbaugh. He was protecting his guy and still is.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Jim Harbaugh said he expects new WR Jon Baldwin to play on Sunday. #49ers

if he don't get a catch then he a bust

They will get him the ball, if only to justify the trade. NFL is a business and you have to keep your customers (us) happy.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Harbaugh: Baldwin will play, accepts responsibility for Jenkins

SANTA CLARA -- Wide receiver Jon Baldwin, acquired Monday in a trade for A.J. Jenkins, is expected to play Sunday in the 49ers' exhibition game against the Minnesota Vikings, coach Jim Harbaugh said.

Baldwin practiced Tuesday for the first time since joining his new team after spending his first two NFL seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Just one day, but good so far," Harbaugh said on Wednesday.

Baldwin is considered a near-lock to make the 49ers' 53-man roster because of his first-round talent and a guaranteed contract of over $1 million. Harbaugh said the 49ers will have to project how Baldwin fits with a limited time to evaluate him.

Harbaugh described Baldwin as a "somebody great athletic ability. He already has a resume."

Harbaugh also re-addressed his comments from a year ago when he went after critics of Jenkins. He said he still feels the same way about Jenkins.

"I really feel the same a year ago when I made those comments. I don't think it's fair to bully or label a young player," Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh said he accepts the responsibility for helping draft Jenkins and coach him.

Now, the 49ers have the responsibility of coaching Baldwin, who is behind Kyle Williams and Marlon Moore for the 49ers other starting wide receiver spot opposite of Anquan Boldwin.

Boldin, Baldwin, Moore, Williams and rookie Quinton Patton appear to be on solid footing for roster spots. Moore has risen up the depth chart at wide receiver, as well as being projected as a special-teams standout.

"There's the physical and the mentality," Harbaugh said. "You need both. He's definitely a talented player physically and also tough mentally and tough physically. Those things are good combination."
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/harbaugh-baldwin-will-play-accepts-responsibility-jenkins
[ Edited by buck on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM ]
PS eligibility rules ... no Baldwin is not eligible.

Have no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL (An accrued season is six or more games on the active roster);Have one prior Accrued Season in which the player was on the 45-man active roster for no more than 8 games;If served two seasons on a practice squad, are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Probably already posted but didn't want to search through 80 pages for it. Some interesting stuff-

Grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., idolizing Larry Fitzgerald. "He's a big playmaker," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said. "He's a physical guy with good speed who can go up and catch the ball. He's an intriguing kid." Third-year junior with 128 catches for 2,337 yards (18.3) and 16 TDs. "He catches it when he's covered," one scout said. "He's just so big and strong." Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I worry about Baldwin to death," another scout said. "He's a vertical guy who has to learn to run the middle distance and underneath routes. He's not a felon, but he's got some prima donna in him." Labeled a "diva" by an AFC personnel director. "Best hands in the draft," a third scout said. "Huge target. Great ball skills. Not a good route runner. Definitely has a start burst, but you don't see that extra gear. He's definitely more of an X (split end) than a Z (flanker).http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120420289.html

Great stuff! Let's break it down...

Grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., idolizing Larry Fitzgerald - and now he has THE most mature professional WR there is in Boldin to learn from.
"He's a big playmaker," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said - with that height, timing ability and catching radius, he could end up being a big playmaker for us (I already see him in the EXACT same role as Randy Moss)
"He's a physical guy with good speed who can go up and catch the ball. He's an intriguing kid." - this skill set will be a primary respnsibility with CK and under HaRoMan
"He catches it when he's covered," one scout said. - he is going to draw more than one defender so he is going to have to make a few of those catches to allow the underneath WR's to shine
"He's just so big and strong." - only if you use it to your advantage. Against Nnamdi, he was easily directed out fo bounds. This is coaching. When you are in single coverage against press coverage, you have to physically beat your man and get to the spot. This is where coaching and technique comes into play (football IQ as well). That said, he is a fantastic run blocker and not only seals the edges well, but blocks completely out of the way for the RB's!
Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I worry about Baldwin to death," another scout said. - this is a legit concern. See previous post. It may take a very long time for him to learn the playbook. That said, we run a "package offense" which means he'll only come onto the field in certain situations and he should know his route and responsibility in advance. Ironically enough, Lockette was thrown into this same football-playbook-IQ category.
"He's a vertical guy who has to learn to run the middle distance and underneath routes." - very true. He played all 3 WR positions in various packages. His best routes (to me) where when he broke off the deeper routes underneath. He was WIDE open!
He's not a felon, but he's got some prima donna in him." - listening to his interview, he seems humbled and has humility. We can only hope. This is his last chance. And working with Boldin, this coaching staff, being around a championship locker room, if he can't make it here, he won't make it anywhere.
Labeled a "diva" by an AFC personnel director. - again, this speaks to maturity. We may have gotten him at just the right time.
"Best hands in the draft," a third scout said. - only one drop last year according to PFF.
"Huge target. Great ball skills. Not a good route runner. Definitely has a start burst, but you don't see that extra gear. He's definitely more of an X (split end) than a Z (flanker)." - I agree, he is best suited for the X spot and will be the next Randy Moss in our offense. Playing opposite Boldin and having VD and McDonald inside is going to get him some 1on1 matchups. If he can learn to beat press coverage CK should have no issues lobbing it up to him along the sidelines and on post routes. From this, he should also be able to run some drag, hitches, and crossing routes.

http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120420289.html

Agree 100% and nice breakdown!
Great breakdown NC!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Great breakdown NC!

With a little help from my friends!
It was great, NC!

Also re: your and Solidg2000's

Moore/Lockette
Williams/ Patton/ Hall
Boldin/Balkdin.....

Only the addition of Hall was different. I challenge anyone, anywhere to produce a WR list from last yr and tell me we aren't miles better than last yr at WR, and no football has been thrown in anger yet in a real game. I cannot believe the level of talent improvement yr on yr, at WR on this roster. Jeez, no Crabs and we are looking WAY better. Talk about a F.O. that knows what it is doing...good grief.

As GM so elegantly stated, Baalke is playing poker and can read everybody else's cards at the table. I don't want to disparage Pioli and Andy Reid, but Baalke just took them out to the woodshed. Maybe for Reid it works out better (eg if there was bad blood), but Baalke is just kicking azz and taking names. Wow!
Hey, he and Coach made a mistake. They did their best to build up AJ, there was no there there, they talked him up, all the while figuring how they could unload ~ $3mil, and end up with a terrific prospect in Baldin., who we actually are on the hook for only $750K and that's it. Cripes, don't ever play poker with those guys...but man, am I ever glad they are on our side. You see noln, BM, doing that? Not in a million yrs. On the other hand, nobody else is either.

Then there is the issue of talent and, well, attitude. As CC ,said, here one day, and Baldin caught more balls then AJ did all camp. My only concern was voiced earlier, and that was questions of bad chemistry, bad attitude, no real drive to play football, locker room stuff...all that adds up. But based on one day, his first day, Baldin done good; real good. The lineup I have in mind sometime soon, needing 7 yds for a first down, say in SEA:.

Boldin, Baldwin, Williams, Vance, Vernon, five wide, with LMJ in backfield. Try and defend that set. Go ahead, try, because we got Kap and he throws flame....straight flame.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SportsFan:

See, this is why players love Harbaugh. He was protecting his guy and still is.

Yup, and hes been in the league for years so he knows what its like to be a young player and go through all that bullying and hazing.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I am not sure that "bust" is relative to a player's draft spot. I do not believe that it is correct to label a 6th or 7th round pick a bust.

At some point , at least in my estimation, the term bust seems to lose any real meaning

for some reason I am thinking of the naked gun,,, "my thats an impressive bust"!.. thank you,, I just had it stuffed
its actually " Nice Beaver"
damn,, thank you,, well I swear to god that was a line in that movie or some movie, about an impressive bust , ahh never mind, I am rambling now

Don't recall the movie but there was a line something like, "Nice bust." "Thanks, I just had it done."
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I am not sure that "bust" is relative to a player's draft spot. I do not believe that it is correct to label a 6th or 7th round pick a bust.

At some point , at least in my estimation, the term bust seems to lose any real meaning

for some reason I am thinking of the naked gun,,, "my thats an impressive bust"!.. thank you,, I just had it stuffed
its actually " Nice Beaver"
damn,, thank you,, well I swear to god that was a line in that movie or some movie, about an impressive bust , ahh never mind, I am rambling now

Don't recall the movie but there was a line something like, "Nice bust." "Thanks, I just had it done."

here's the one CC is talking about

here's the one CC is talking about

Yes, Leslie Nielsen is one of the funniest guys on the planet...or was...until 2010. Played straight man most of his early career and then took off as a comedic actor at an age when many (most?) careers are over.
One bust for another.. Both AJ and Baldwin have talent. They coasted in college on the strength of their athletic gifts and simply don't put in the work to be professionals. Nothing will come of this trade other than saving face.
Share 49ersWebzone