LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

^^ These numbers imply that with more accurate passing, Baldwin's catch rate would be much higher. Wow. Let's hope that's the case because Kaepernick pretty much throws darts.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
...who gives a damn what his catch rate was?

This!
Baldwin is going to be the Terrell Owens 2.0 yo
Do we know how he's doing in practice?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Found it Buck...thank you!

Interesting stats. It makes sense to me too. McCluster is your dump-off receiver, Bowe is your primary target (offense built around) and Baldwin is your deeper (secondary) threat, #3. I would think this dro-rate formula would be pretty consistent across the board for many teams (even with poor QB's). So when he does get a catchable target, whether short, intermediate or deep, he catches it.

My God they had terrible QB's. Bowe alone had 42 uncatchable balls thrown his way just to GET 59 catches. That said, what we need to also watch out for is, is Baldwin getting OPEN to ensure there is potential to for a catchable ball? This is where I can see him getting some tips from Boldin and the coaching staff on technique and beating press coverage for the role he will play for us (at the X).

Deep threat sounds nice. I enjoy our quick, short passing play-style. A deep pass is a thing of beauty, though. Which of our receivers really poses as a deep threat right now outside of Williams? Moss was always downfield but I didn't see a lot of passing his way.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

they say he showed up at 7am and caught about 25 balls from ck and then hung out with boldin so that is nice. hell he has already caught more balls from ck in one morning than what jenkins did in a year and a quarter, plus he showed no attitude during his interviews
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are starting Boldin at split end right? Baldwin seemed to excel when playing flanker( Bowes position ), which gives him a free release.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

they say he showed up at 7am and caught about 25 balls from ck and then hung out with boldin so that is nice. hell he has already caught more balls from ck in one morning than what jenkins did in a year and a quarter, plus he showed no attitude during his interviews

good good, sounds like he may do well with the change in scenery
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Found it Buck...thank you!

Interesting stats. It makes sense to me too. McCluster is your dump-off receiver, Bowe is your primary target (offense built around) and Baldwin is your deeper (secondary) threat, #3. I would think this dro-rate formula would be pretty consistent across the board for many teams (even with poor QB's). So when he does get a catchable target, whether short, intermediate or deep, he catches it.

My God they had terrible QB's. Bowe alone had 42 uncatchable balls thrown his way just to GET 59 catches. That said, what we need to also watch out for is, is Baldwin getting OPEN to ensure there is potential to for a catchable ball? This is where I can see him getting some tips from Boldin and the coaching staff on technique and beating press coverage for the role he will play for us (at the X).

Deep threat sounds nice. I enjoy our quick, short passing play-style. A deep pass is a thing of beauty, though. Which of our receivers really poses as a deep threat right now outside of Williams? Moss was always downfield but I didn't see a lot of passing his way.

Well, based on practice, our two best threats are Moore and Lockette...and now we have Baldwin also at the X spot (same exact role that Moss played).

Now, Moss was used more a decoy in our college-offense to take two defenders for more underneath passing. That said, the more HaRoman became familiar with CK's skill set, the more deep intermediate to deep passes we made it seemed (esp. with VD). Therefore, any of these guys could end up being a legitimate deep and consistent threat. I would love to see a few deep sideline and post passes to the aforementioned. CK appears to already have chemistry with Moore and Lockette. So now, let's see it in a game. If Lockette runs a clean route like he runs as a gunner on ST's, he's going to be open by 10 yards!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Looking at a list of KC QB's Baldwin has had to work with, I'm surprised he has caught anything, what a list of crap! Alex Smith is by far and a way the class of the list, magnitudes better than any chiefs QB in recent memory, and we all know Alex does not like to throw to his WR's, ever, to high a risk, not his style. Baldwin might be a steal. Kaep loves to take a chance and gun it down field, that makes any WR smile.

So then why did Dwayne Bowe have a lot of receptions? Wouldn't you think that if Bowe would be impacted by the same QB play?

That is what I call fuzzy logic.

Well of course he showed no bad attitude in his first interviews you dont want to be deemed the a*****e of the team on the first day lol. Im actually amazed Boldin let him hang around him the rest of the day all the earlier reports said Boldin is all about business and not very talkative during practice.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
No way they cut Patton. Patton makes the team. Coaches will decide who brings more value -- Collie in our passing office, or Lockette/Osgood on STs?

If they feel a defensive depth player can fill the ST role, Lockette/Osgood could lose out.

Patton makes the team. This kid is going to be good.

There are many tools for evaluating wide receivers. Wide Receiver Production Grade (or Rating) measures the receiver's production as % of a team's receiving yards and touch downs. They combine the two % for the grade or rating. Any grade over score over 60 (60%) is excellent.

Drafted Name PG

128---Quinton Patton--79.3%

92---Stedman Bailey--68.8%

27---DeAndre Hopkins--59.7%

8----Tavon Austin--59.0%

41---Robert Woods---58.5%

34---Justin Hunter--47.3%

29---Cordarelle Patterson--34.8%
Originally posted by mtminer:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are starting Boldin at split end right? Baldwin seemed to excel when playing flanker( Bowes position ), which gives him a free release.

I'm not sure...my best guess is this:

X = Marlon Moore/Ricardo Lockette
Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton/Chad Hall
Z = Anquan Boldin/Jon Baldwin

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173235-guess-the-53/page25/#5ZE4cDJVDekhHbZF.99

That said, I can see him also playing the X a lot. He played all three WR positions with the Chiefs last game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
good good, sounds like he may do well with the change in scenery
we do have a few examples of guys who were average with their old team and really became a beast with us, justin smith comes to mind,, walt harris,, maybe carlos rogers , at least for one year. can not remember off the top off my mind if we ever got a first round guy who was considered a bust and transformed them into a good player for us
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Well of course he showed no bad attitude in his first interviews you dont want to be deemed the a*****e of the team on the first day lol. Im actually amazed Boldin let him hang around him the rest of the day all the earlier reports said Boldin is all about business and not very talkative during practice.
well its a start and for everything there is a beginning. the balls he caught from ck is amazing to me in one day compared to jenkins
Share 49ersWebzone