There are 264 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

There is no way Baldwin's play this week will be indicative of what he can do. He probably knows 1/50th of the playbook. My guess is they'll work to get him a successful play early just like thy tried to do for Jenkins.

Now that Jenkins is gone I think the WR is a lot less interesting. We have a pretty good idea that the WRs are going to be Boldin, Williams, Patton, Moore, Baldwin, and Collie (most likely)/Hall/Lockette/Osgood. The #2 QB, the #3 TE, and the defense and special teams are a lot more interesting to see the depth battles now.
Just based off of interviews I've seen, it sure seems like Baldwin is a lot more motivated to become a good receiver in this league as compared to AJ Jenkins, who always seemed kind of nonchalant in his interviews.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Just based off of interviews I've seen, it sure seems like Baldwin is a lot more motivated to become a good receiver in this league as compared to AJ Jenkins, who always seemed kind of nonchalant in his interviews.

He also did not have a good time in KC. He got hazed. He got into a fight. He had horrible quarterbacking. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a lot better with the Niners.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

He also did not have a good time in KC. He got hazed. He got into a fight. He had horrible quarterbacking. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a lot better with the Niners.

Yeah hopefully that adds to his motivation to become great here in SF. I was watching an interview of him with Michael Irvin and Brian Billick on the field at the 2011 combine and Baldwin was talking about how he wanted to show that he was the best receiver out of that class. That class includes AJ Green and Julio Jones. Let's hope he still thinks that way and has the drive to be great like those guys.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Yeah, that's my thinking, too. Better situation here, that's why I think it was a steal to get him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Probably already posted but didn't want to search through 80 pages for it. Some interesting stuff-

Grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., idolizing Larry Fitzgerald. "He's a big playmaker," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said. "He's a physical guy with good speed who can go up and catch the ball. He's an intriguing kid." Third-year junior with 128 catches for 2,337 yards (18.3) and 16 TDs. "He catches it when he's covered," one scout said. "He's just so big and strong." Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I worry about Baldwin to death," another scout said. "He's a vertical guy who has to learn to run the middle distance and underneath routes. He's not a felon, but he's got some prima donna in him." Labeled a "diva" by an AFC personnel director. "Best hands in the draft," a third scout said. "Huge target. Great ball skills. Not a good route runner. Definitely has a start burst, but you don't see that extra gear. He's definitely more of an X (split end) than a Z (flanker).http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120420289.html

Great stuff! Let's break it down...

Grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., idolizing Larry Fitzgerald - and now he has THE most mature professional WR there is in Boldin to learn from.
"He's a big playmaker," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said - with that height, timing ability and catching radius, he could end up being a big playmaker for us (I already see him in the EXACT same role as Randy Moss)
"He's a physical guy with good speed who can go up and catch the ball. He's an intriguing kid." - this skill set will be a primary respnsibility with CK and under HaRoMan
"He catches it when he's covered," one scout said. - he is going to draw more than one defender so he is going to have to make a few of those catches to allow the underneath WR's to shine
"He's just so big and strong." - only if you use it to your advantage. Against Nnamdi, he was easily directed out fo bounds. This is coaching. When you are in single coverage against press coverage, you have to physically beat your man and get to the spot. This is where coaching and technique comes into play (football IQ as well). That said, he is a fantastic run blocker and not only seals the edges well, but blocks completely out of the way for the RB's!
Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I worry about Baldwin to death," another scout said. - this is a legit concern. See previous post. It may take a very long time for him to learn the playbook. That said, we run a "package offense" which means he'll only come onto the field in certain situations and he should know his route and responsibility in advance. Ironically enough, Lockette was thrown into this same football-playbook-IQ category.
"He's a vertical guy who has to learn to run the middle distance and underneath routes." - very true. He played all 3 WR positions in various packages. His best routes (to me) where when he broke off the deeper routes underneath. He was WIDE open!
He's not a felon, but he's got some prima donna in him." - listening to his interview, he seems humbled and has humility. We can only hope. This is his last chance. And working with Boldin, this coaching staff, being around a championship locker room, if he can't make it here, he won't make it anywhere.
Labeled a "diva" by an AFC personnel director. - again, this speaks to maturity. We may have gotten him at just the right time.
"Best hands in the draft," a third scout said. - only one drop last year according to PFF.
"Huge target. Great ball skills. Not a good route runner. Definitely has a start burst, but you don't see that extra gear. He's definitely more of an X (split end) than a Z (flanker)." - I agree, he is best suited for the X spot and will be the next Randy Moss in our offense. Playing opposite Boldin and having VD and McDonald inside is going to get him some 1on1 matchups. If he can learn to beat press coverage CK should have no issues lobbing it up to him along the sidelines and on post routes. From this, he should also be able to run some drag, hitches, and crossing routes.

http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120420289.html

Wait, only one drop last year? I thought that was the concern about him?
Originally posted by Whomeam:

Dispelled by PFF; they did say he drops passes in pre season games though (LOL). That said, according to Yahoo! he was targeted quite a bit but collectively, only has 41 catches. I don't have the PFF stats but I imagine they define "targets" much more accurately. For instance, the 1on1 to Baldwin against Nnamdi where Nnamdi ran him out of bounds and Alex threw it 15 yards out of bounds in his general direction, is that considered a "target?" Probably.
I saw the PFF stats ... they said he was targeted 44 times, but only 21 were catchable of which he caught 20 ... I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Originally posted by Scoots:
I saw the PFF stats ... they said he was targeted 44 times, but only 21 were catchable of which he caught 20 ... I'm not sure how accurate that is.

They analyze every single play and this one wouldn't be "that" subjective like others. This seems pretty accurate and I'd take PFF stats over Yahoo! any day.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Whomeam:

Dispelled by PFF; they did say he drops passes in pre season games though (LOL). That said, according to Yahoo! he was targeted quite a bit but collectively, only has 41 catches. I don't have the PFF stats but I imagine they define "targets" much more accurately. For instance, the 1on1 to Baldwin against Nnamdi where Nnamdi ran him out of bounds and Alex threw it 15 yards out of bounds in his general direction, is that considered a "target?" Probably.

One more time.

PFF has him for 46 targets, 21 catchable, 20 receptions, and one drop in 2012 regular season.
But, his catch rate is pretty low--43.5%. He caught 20 of the 46 balls thrown to him.

For some comparison. Bowe had a catch rate of 55.1%.
McCluster had a catch rate of 74.3%.

Bowe had 107 targets, 65 catchable, 59 receptions, and 6 drops.
McCluster had 70 targets, 59 catchable, 52 receptions, and 7 drops

The numbers below are all based on targets of 20 yards or more.

Baldwin had 17 targets, 3 catchable, 3 receptions, 0 drops.
Bowe had 22.targets, 6 catchable, 5 receptions, 1 drop.

Baldwin had 3 receptions for 86 yards,
Bowe had 5.receptions for 157 yards.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174215-49ers-acquire-jon-baldwin-jenkins/page78/#ucx8foQTuq9v9lsQ.99

I think the PFF is a reliable source.

But, I paid for a subscription for their premium stats, so I might be a tad bit prejudiced.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM ]

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, before the first pass is thrown in anger we did way better than KC in this trade, $$$ wise. Finally found AB's comment, and he mentioned this trade made good sense, without regard for whether talent wise we did better or not. But Baldwin has two yrs of catching passes and AJ, who I liked, caught none in 1 yr and 2 PS games. Hell, Rashaun Woods did way better than that. But he is the first 1st rd draft pick WR never to catch a pass before he was cut or traded. This just sounds like we did great with cap numbers, actually fantastic, and if Baldwin busts out we still beat KC who has a non performer in AJ. And remember: AB did say AJ wouldn't be cut but would only leave here via trade....so give AB his due.

Jeez, so little film, but Baldwin is a horse, and Aj was slender. I repeat: is he a locker room problem, has he lost enthusiasm for playing, and will he be a good teammate, are all more important to me right now, since we just cleaned KC's plow capwise. Good on trent for correcting a mistake. and he did it with minor damage. Now the real trifecta is if Baldwin can play. If that happens, drafting AJ will be forgotten in a heartbeat. No comments from me re: talent as I have no knowledge. The deal tho? Way to go Trent, for extricating us out of a poor choice and hopefully bringing us a go-to guy. Lot has to happen first tho. He will be a good WR against SEA. Can't wait to see him perform. Does make the WR cuts a bit more interesting right now.

And for you guys who want WRs taken in first round...well, we have Rashuan woods, AJ....and hopefully no more. With those two, not a great track record. Funny how I remember Coach and trent smugly saying, " our first rd pick won't be on anyone else's chart" ...well, they were right about that , but now let's see what the trade actually brought us.

I agree, I like guys like Watkins, and Lee, but I dont want to risk it. I like Brandon Coleman and Jordan Matthews(related to the G.O.A.T.)

And yes I said that, and thank you Doc. I know I will get my due, good to see I have at least 1 supporter for sure, in you bud.

Hell no, you have a ton of supporters!

There are going to be at least four stud corners who are 6 feet tall and run in the 4.4's available in the first round. I'll be shocked if they don't take a corner with their first pick next year. I'm hoping that all Jon Baldwin needed was a change of scenery, good coaching, a good environment, a winning team and a rocket-armed quarterback. Because he looks like a first round beast of a receiver to me.
Originally posted by buck:
One more time.

PFF has him for 46 targets, 21 catchable, 20 receptions, and one drop in 2012 regular season.
But, his catch rate is pretty low--43.5%. He caught 20 of the 46 balls thrown to him.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174215-49ers-acquire-jon-baldwin-jenkins/page78/#ucx8foQTuq9v9lsQ.99

Do you not see the logical disconnect here?

So he had 46 targets but only 21 were deemed catchable...who gives a damn what his catch rate was?

• thl408
Baldwin had a nice 16.3 yards per catch average last season which would have ranked him 8th for players with 20 or more catches in 2012. He had exactly 20 catches.

Targets of 20+ yards:
With this stat that buck posted: Baldwin had 17 targets, 3 catchable, 3 receptions, 0 drops

it tells me he can catch the deep ball, if given a chance.
[ Edited by thl408 on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
One more time.

Do you not see the logical disconnect here?

So he had 46 targets but only 21 were deemed catchable...who gives a damn what his catch rate was?

Does it say anything about average depth of targets? I'm thinking they used Baldwin on deeper routes, which would lead to those stats.
The theory was that he dropped a lot of balls. One drop all last year would dispell that theory and PFF is a pretty accurate site on "targets." Anyone have their numbers?

Agreed, 41 catches in 2 years isn't much esp. when you're targeted much more according to Yahoo.com.

For some comparison.

Bowe had a catch rate of 55.1%.

Found it Buck...thank you!

Interesting stats. It makes sense to me too. McCluster is your dump-off receiver, Bowe is your primary target (offense built around) and Baldwin is your deeper (secondary) threat, #3. I would think this dro-rate formula would be pretty consistent across the board for many teams (even with poor QB's). So when he does get a catchable target, whether short, intermediate or deep, he catches it.

My God they had terrible QB's. Bowe alone had 42 uncatchable balls thrown his way just to GET 59 catches. That said, what we need to also watch out for is, is Baldwin getting OPEN to ensure there is potential to for a catchable ball? This is where I can see him getting some tips from Boldin and the coaching staff on technique and beating press coverage for the role he will play for us (at the X).
Share 49ersWebzone