Boldin
Baldwin
Williams
Patton
Moore
Collie

After Mario comes back I predict Moore will be gone
When Crabtree comes back collie

In theory they could, but I doubt they will want to play their #3 WR as gunner or kick returner as there are injury risks involved. Have they even tried or played Moore in ST before ? I doubt it cos last time when the went up to the press podium he was saying how he misses it. I think you will need a little buffer just in case there are further injuries. Plus, Patton is still green, so I suspect he will only be getting limited snaps. And don't forget right now we seem to be having issues with our special teams, is almost like a glaring weakness. In my view, there is just no way they will cut Lockette and Osgood at the same time. I am sure they will keep one of them.
Looking at a list of KC QB's Baldwin has had to work with, I'm surprised he has caught anything, what a list of crap! Alex Smith is by far and a way the class of the list, magnitudes better than any chiefs QB in recent memory, and we all know Alex does not like to throw to his WR's, ever, to high a risk, not his style. Baldwin might be a steal. Kaep loves to take a chance and gun it down field, that makes any WR smile.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Looking at a list of KC QB's Baldwin has had to work with, I'm surprised he has caught anything, what a list of crap! Alex Smith is by far and a way the class of the list, magnitudes better than any chiefs QB in recent memory, and we all know Alex does not like to throw to his WR's, ever, to high a risk, not his style. Baldwin might be a steal. Kaep loves to take a chance and gun it down field, that makes any WR smile.

Especially for a deep threat wideout like Baldwin. His career would have been wasted with Smith as his QB. In fact, Dwayne Bowe should be concerned as well. Alex Smith doesn't like to go down field, is just not part of his game.If Baldwin really wants to revive his career, this is the place to do it.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Read this in the comment section of the San Jose Mercury - "Baldwin will make the team not because of the money, but because of the Seattle DBs. Any coincidence we can trot out Vernon, Boldin, Vance McDonald and Baldwin on any one play to combat Seattle's bigger DBs? Probably not."
My question is exactly how much do we even need to bother with the " jumbo package" now? lol
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Read this in the comment section of the San Jose Mercury - "Baldwin will make the team not because of the money, but because of the Seattle DBs. Any coincidence we can trot out Vernon, Boldin, Vance McDonald and Baldwin on any one play to combat Seattle's bigger DBs? Probably not."
My question is exactly how much do we even need to bother with the " jumbo package" now? lol

Please let it be an occasional, rather than default, package! Seriously, with the improvement of the OLine and Kaepernick's running ability, I don't see the need.
Hopefully, we get the opportunity to see what he can do on Sunday and the final preseason game.
Originally posted by 5280High:
He [Jenkins] just seems like the guy he is... he is a normal dude, standard confidence... unfortunately for the NFL you have to have abnormal confidence in your abilities and believe you are the sh*t. Kind of reminds me of the saying "nice guys suck at poker" Seems like the same could be said about football, you need that edginess that tenacity to take what you want instead of "doing your best and seeing where the chips fall"

I think this is right. Alex Smith will probably be very understanding of how Jenkins feels because Alex had such a hard time dealing with the "first round bust" thing. But Alex clearly has/had a lot of mental toughness. For Jenkins sake, I hope he gets inspired by how Alex toughed it out and has developed into at least a really solid NFL quarterback.

There seems to be almost an assumption that Jenkins will be a bust in KC and therefore even if Baldwin doesn't work out with the 49er's, the whole trade will have been at least a wash for the 49's. But it is possible that Baldwin will be a bust here and that Jenkins will catch on in KC. My guess is that the 49er's will come out ahead in the trade - that Baldwin will end up much more productive for the 49er's than Jenkins will for KC - but I would like to see both guys succeed. Jenkins seems like a nice guy (his 49er teammates seemed to like him well enough) so I wish him well and Baldwin is a 49er now so I definitely want things to work out for him.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Hopefully, we get the opportunity to see what he can do on Sunday and the final preseason game.

I really hope so. I am dying to see some proper offensive action especially if we can throw him some deep balls. My concern is McCoy and Tolzien will eat up all the snaps with nothing to show for. May be BJ can throw him a bomb or two. Fingers crossed !!
Originally posted by Rascal:

I really hope so. I am dying to see some proper offensive action especially if we can throw him some deep balls. My concern is McCoy and Tolzien will eat up all the snaps with nothing to show for. May be BJ can throw him a bomb or two. Fingers crossed !!
Baldwin needs to play with the first string...mix of first and second stringers...it will be a waste to put him out there when BJ is at QB
Probably already posted but didn't want to search through 80 pages for it. Some interesting stuff-

Grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., idolizing Larry Fitzgerald. "He's a big playmaker," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said. "He's a physical guy with good speed who can go up and catch the ball. He's an intriguing kid." Third-year junior with 128 catches for 2,337 yards (18.3) and 16 TDs. "He catches it when he's covered," one scout said. "He's just so big and strong." Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I worry about Baldwin to death," another scout said. "He's a vertical guy who has to learn to run the middle distance and underneath routes. He's not a felon, but he's got some prima donna in him." Labeled a "diva" by an AFC personnel director. "Best hands in the draft," a third scout said. "Huge target. Great ball skills. Not a good route runner. Definitely has a start burst, but you don't see that extra gear. He's definitely more of an X (split end) than a Z (flanker).http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120420289.html

Great stuff! Let's break it down...

Grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., idolizing Larry Fitzgerald - and now he has THE most mature professional WR there is in Boldin to learn from.
"He's a big playmaker," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said - with that height, timing ability and catching radius, he could end up being a big playmaker for us (I already see him in the EXACT same role as Randy Moss)
"He's a physical guy with good speed who can go up and catch the ball. He's an intriguing kid." - this skill set will be a primary respnsibility with CK and under HaRoMan
"He catches it when he's covered," one scout said. - he is going to draw more than one defender so he is going to have to make a few of those catches to allow the underneath WR's to shine
"He's just so big and strong." - only if you use it to your advantage. Against Nnamdi, he was easily directed out fo bounds. This is coaching. When you are in single coverage against press coverage, you have to physically beat your man and get to the spot. This is where coaching and technique comes into play (football IQ as well). That said, he is a fantastic run blocker and not only seals the edges well, but blocks completely out of the way for the RB's!
Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I worry about Baldwin to death," another scout said. - this is a legit concern. See previous post. It may take a very long time for him to learn the playbook. That said, we run a "package offense" which means he'll only come onto the field in certain situations and he should know his route and responsibility in advance. Ironically enough, Lockette was thrown into this same football-playbook-IQ category.
"He's a vertical guy who has to learn to run the middle distance and underneath routes." - very true. He played all 3 WR positions in various packages. His best routes (to me) where when he broke off the deeper routes underneath. He was WIDE open!
He's not a felon, but he's got some prima donna in him." - listening to his interview, he seems humbled and has humility. We can only hope. This is his last chance. And working with Boldin, this coaching staff, being around a championship locker room, if he can't make it here, he won't make it anywhere.
Labeled a "diva" by an AFC personnel director. - again, this speaks to maturity. We may have gotten him at just the right time.
"Best hands in the draft," a third scout said. - only one drop last year according to PFF.
"Huge target. Great ball skills. Not a good route runner. Definitely has a start burst, but you don't see that extra gear. He's definitely more of an X (split end) than a Z (flanker)." - I agree, he is best suited for the X spot and will be the next Randy Moss in our offense. Playing opposite Boldin and having VD and McDonald inside is going to get him some 1on1 matchups. If he can learn to beat press coverage CK should have no issues lobbing it up to him along the sidelines and on post routes. From this, he should also be able to run some drag, hitches, and crossing routes.

http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120420289.html

Originally posted by buck:
Baldwin excited to work with Kaepernick

corny title but good interview with Baldwin.

I was pleasantly surprised by the attitude he showed. I thought he spoke well, seemed thoughtful, and had a little humor.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-49ers/kaepernick-caught-baldwins-eye-kansas-city

Caught me off guard too!

Yeah, seems humbled. Humility. Genuinely happy to be there. He knows this is it and everything is in place to be successful.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, before the first pass is thrown in anger we did way better than KC in this trade, $$$ wise. Finally found AB's comment, and he mentioned this trade made good sense, without regard for whether talent wise we did better or not. But Baldwin has two yrs of catching passes and AJ, who I liked, caught none in 1 yr and 2 PS games. Hell, Rashaun Woods did way better than that. But he is the first 1st rd draft pick WR never to catch a pass before he was cut or traded. This just sounds like we did great with cap numbers, actually fantastic, and if Baldwin busts out we still beat KC who has a non performer in AJ. And remember: AB did say AJ wouldn't be cut but would only leave here via trade....so give AB his due.

Jeez, so little film, but Baldwin is a horse, and Aj was slender. I repeat: is he a locker room problem, has he lost enthusiasm for playing, and will he be a good teammate, are all more important to me right now, since we just cleaned KC's plow capwise. Good on trent for correcting a mistake. and he did it with minor damage. Now the real trifecta is if Baldwin can play. If that happens, drafting AJ will be forgotten in a heartbeat. No comments from me re: talent as I have no knowledge. The deal tho? Way to go Trent, for extricating us out of a poor choice and hopefully bringing us a go-to guy. Lot has to happen first tho. He will be a good WR against SEA. Can't wait to see him perform. Does make the WR cuts a bit more interesting right now.

And for you guys who want WRs taken in first round...well, we have Rashuan woods, AJ....and hopefully no more. With those two, not a great track record. Funny how I remember Coach and trent smugly saying, " our first rd pick won't be on anyone else's chart" ...well, they were right about that , but now let's see what the trade actually brought us.

I agree, I like guys like Watkins, and Lee, but I dont want to risk it. I like Brandon Coleman and Jordan Matthews(related to the G.O.A.T.)

And yes I said that, and thank you Doc. I know I will get my due, good to see I have at least 1 supporter for sure, in you bud.

Hell no, you have a ton of supporters!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Baldwin needs to play with the first string...mix of first and second stringers...it will be a waste to put him out there when BJ is at QB

I totally agree. Since he is going to be on the roster, they need to give him max snaps to get him game ready as he is so far behind. The problem being is they are still evaluating the QBs. I would say Kap needs to play one full quarter at the minimum. Even the 2nd stringers are irrelvant as far as QB is concerned unless McCoy and Tolzien actually start playing some football.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, before the first pass is thrown in anger we did way better than KC in this trade, $$$ wise. Finally found AB's comment, and he mentioned this trade made good sense, without regard for whether talent wise we did better or not. But Baldwin has two yrs of catching passes and AJ, who I liked, caught none in 1 yr and 2 PS games. Hell, Rashaun Woods did way better than that. But he is the first 1st rd draft pick WR never to catch a pass before he was cut or traded. This just sounds like we did great with cap numbers, actually fantastic, and if Baldwin busts out we still beat KC who has a non performer in AJ. And remember: AB did say AJ wouldn't be cut but would only leave here via trade....so give AB his due.

Jeez, so little film, but Baldwin is a horse, and Aj was slender. I repeat: is he a locker room problem, has he lost enthusiasm for playing, and will he be a good teammate, are all more important to me right now, since we just cleaned KC's plow capwise. Good on trent for correcting a mistake. and he did it with minor damage. Now the real trifecta is if Baldwin can play. If that happens, drafting AJ will be forgotten in a heartbeat. No comments from me re: talent as I have no knowledge. The deal tho? Way to go Trent, for extricating us out of a poor choice and hopefully bringing us a go-to guy. Lot has to happen first tho. He will be a good WR against SEA. Can't wait to see him perform. Does make the WR cuts a bit more interesting right now.

And for you guys who want WRs taken in first round...well, we have Rashuan woods, AJ....and hopefully no more. With those two, not a great track record. Funny how I remember Coach and trent smugly saying, " our first rd pick won't be on anyone else's chart" ...well, they were right about that , but now let's see what the trade actually brought us.

I agree, I like guys like Watkins, and Lee, but I dont want to risk it. I like Brandon Coleman and Jordan Matthews(related to the G.O.A.T.)

And yes I said that, and thank you Doc. I know I will get my due, good to see I have at least 1 supporter for sure, in you bud.

Hell no, you have a ton of supporters!

The only problem is there is a chance Coleman and Matthews may go in the 1st too. I don't care whether is 1st or 2nd, I am just going with the player, is Coleman for me for now. We made the wrong pick in Jenkins, that is not to say we can't go for WRs in the 1st anymore. Cordarelle Patterson seems to be doing OK and may be we will see more action from Tavon Austin this week. But, for me, I am done with left field picks like Jenkins. If we select a 1st rounder, the guy needs to be a bonafide 1st rounder and not some dude that noone thought was worthy to be so high up.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I totally agree. Since he is going to be on the roster, they need to give him max snaps to get him game ready as he is so far behind. The problem being is they are still evaluating the QBs. I would say Kap needs to play one full quarter at the minimum. Even the 2nd stringers are irrelvant as far as QB is concerned unless McCoy and Tolzien actually start playing some football.

Play him the full three quarters.
Share 49ersWebzone