LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

Ironically the last straw was the game against the team that he was just trade to.
Finally! Don't know about Baldwin though. Maybe a change is what both players need!
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Coming out of college I saw Jon Baldwin as a Terrell Owens/Brandon Marshall type player in terms of on field skills. Big and strong and deceptively fast like T.O. Great physical nature, strong stiff arm, excellent jumping skills like Marshall. The problem is his hands (T.O.) and route-running. Both areas that can improve via practice/coaching. I think that potential is still there. If the team can get even a few ounces of that from him, he'll prove better than A.J. ever was/would be.
[ Edited by SaksV on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]
Whelp... glad that's over.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
haha bust for bust
Originally posted by olapac:
Interesting. I didn't see it that way. I think reporters always want players and coaches to be honest and not give them the "company line" talk. Not saying that's what happened when they spoke about AJ, but looking at it now, the praise wasn't warranted. But I see where you're coming from though.

True, but maybe not everyone felt the same way about aj, maybe thr ones who were out loud did believe in him and supported him thinking it would pull his confidense out, what bothers me what matt going out and saying he give ls respect to Colin Kaepernick for not giving absurd praise to aj jenkins unlike the rest of his teamtes and coaches, but even colin gave aj praise at the beginning of tc. Maybe hes just trying to win Colin over for an interview. idk
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think this is too early to give up on Jenkins, but I realized too, we are in need of someone to step up. Jenkins just isn't doing it right now.

I agree, but this is one of those cases where I defer to Harbaugh, his staff, and Baalke. They have been right more often than wrong, and since they are around Jenkins all day they know his true personality and how he carries himself during practices and in the facilities. It seems like the kid has decent speed and ability, but no motivation or determination to be great. Maybe being traded will snap him back into reality and he'll work harder and succeed, but it doesn't seem like it would have happened any time soon with the 49ers.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
I expect to see this throughout the season!

[ Edited by VDSF on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM ]
Originally posted by stunder49:
we traded aj Jenkins for aj Jenkins clone?

No, not at all. They're different kinds of receivers. Baldwin gives the Niners something they don't have a lot of - he's pretty huge for a receiver - about 6'4" and I think about 220 lbs. His problem has been hands so if he can get it together to catch the ball, he may make the team. And, Baldwin doesn't give up a lot of speed for that size - he was clocked at 4.49 in the 40. Personally, I don't know why he wasn't a success back there, but you could say the same thing about Jenkins. At least Baldwin should be able to deal with physical corners better than Jenkins could.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Baldwin is a big, physically imposing receiver who has the ideal body for a wide receiver. For whatever reason, he was just never able to put it together in Kansas City. You can blame the quarterbacks but Dwayne Bowe was able to succeed with those same quarterbacks. Baldwin struggled with getting off the line in press coverage and never seemed comfortable in Kansas City. He drops easy passes while makes incredibly athletic receptions, and that's just it: He's inconsistent. If the light bulb can go on, Baldwin's physical presence could leave 49ers fans hopeful. But in two years in Kansas City, we never saw that.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/8/19/4636710/jon-baldwin-scouting-report-aj-jenkins-trade-49ers

So what they're saying is Baldwin is our new TO?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by cciowa:
alex is probably pissed to see this guy again! a number one pick getting out played by camp fodder. good trade, very happy. this guy is a niner and i could care less what he did in kansas city. i do not hate a player unless they give me a reason. jenkins means nothing to me and I am surprised some people are not moaning and wailing that jenkins will give away our secrets. actually I do not think jenkins knew any secrets. he was not in those loops

No way. Alex was about ready to axe Baldwin himself. He probably endorsed this trade with a big smile.
probably so. i do not care about jenkins and i think he will be looking at the nfl from the outside along with jason hill, woods, battle and whoever else we ever drafted, that being said, alex needs to feed him alot of kc bbq to beef him up.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Yes we have another weapon, I think a change of scenery is what was needed
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No, not at all. They're different kinds of receivers. Baldwin gives the Niners something they don't have a lot of - he's pretty huge for a receiver - about 6'4" and I think about 220 lbs. His problem has been hands so if he can get it together to catch the ball, he may make the team. And, Baldwin doesn't give up a lot of speed for that size - he was clocked at 4.49 in the 40. Personally, I don't know why he wasn't a success back there, but you could say the same thing about Jenkins. At least Baldwin should be able to deal with physical corners better than Jenkins could.

I think its been said already but qbs were probably a big reason for his issues in kc.
Reid loves these delicate fast receivers, he is prob hoping he can end up like a Desean Jackson type. I like Baldwin and his size, people say hes a trouble maker but at some point you have to feel like its redemption time as a player. You either are going to make something of yourself or find a new career. He has NFL experience and like previous players mentioned, Boldin will take him under his wing. Very excited to see where this goes, AJ was extremely weak and too much of a project for a team like us on the verge of hopefully another deep playoff run.
This is only a theory but let's just say that Baldwin's Idol is Fitzgerald because they both went to Pitt. Now that he's in the same division with his idol he'll be motivated to be a better player because he wants to be just like Fitz.
Share 49ersWebzone